Nick Riewoldt - St Kilda Saints

Position: FWD

Price: $404,700 (Fanplanner)

2011 Games: 21

2012 Games: 19

2011 Average: 84.2

2012 Average: 85.4

2012 Tons: 7

Summary: Continuing my trend of profiling captains we will have a look at Nick Riewoldt. A lot of my decision on whether or not I consider him surrounds whether I think the Saints are genuine finals contenders next year. Unfortunately, I don't think so and therefore am ignoring the fact he hasn't averaged under 83 since 2003 including a whopping 106 in 2009.

Verdict: As stated earlier - nope. Better options around.

Ele's prediction: Another solid year, nothing special - 85.

Adamant

A little underpriced, but agree there are much better options. Cant see him averaging more than 85ish.

Adamant

Also, can I request a write-up on Jelwood? cheers ele!

elephants

Quote from: Adamant on September 09, 2012, 11:52:44 PM

No worries mate :) Will do it after the next two I have lined up. Then I should sleep :P

Adamant

Quote from: elephants on September 09, 2012, 11:53:52 PM
Quote from: Adamant on September 09, 2012, 11:52:44 PM

No worries mate :) Will do it after the next two I have lined up. Then I should sleep :P
Thanks mate, you've done a great job tonight.

gossiboy

Not extremely relevant but am I the only one who thinks that NRoo never reached his full potential?

Considering the freakish talent and ability of the guy he really had the potential to be the best player in the competition for 3-4 years but he never was, except for maybe in 2009. 

He is a super player, there can be no questioning that, but he could've been one of the best centre half forwards to play the game, he should have captained at least one premiership and he never really tore a grand final apart.

Ricochet

Staying away from nearly all key position players next year. apart from buddy that is

Capper

As Phil Gould would say
No no no no no no no no no.

his average may have gone up but it didnt look like that when he was in my team

The_Captain

Shihan7

Quote from: Ricochet on September 10, 2012, 10:25:02 AM
Staying away from nearly all key position players next year. apart from buddy that is
+1

Spinking

Quote from: gossiboy on September 10, 2012, 12:00:57 AM
Not extremely relevant but am I the only one who thinks that NRoo never reached his full potential?

Considering the freakish talent and ability of the guy he really had the potential to be the best player in the competition for 3-4 years but he never was, except for maybe in 2009. 

He is a super player, there can be no questioning that, but he could've been one of the best centre half forwards to play the game, he should have captained at least one premiership and he never really tore a grand final apart.

Sadly I agree with a bit. Rising star and rated as in the best couple of players in the league by Sheehan a few times, but really promos a lot more than he has delivered.  Personally I think this was largely a result of the Saints game plans which too heavily focused on going through Roo.

essendon2

Good pick up for first 3 rounds i think!

tbagrocks

10 years ago he was the best thing since sliced bread

10 years later and we have developed names for these kind of players (no reflect on his great career)

Spud