All Time Fantasy Draft: Clubs

Started by AFEV, September 05, 2012, 06:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DazBurg

Quote from: BratPack on November 17, 2012, 11:32:57 AM
Why did I think it was my pick after Ringo's?  :-[
was just about to post saying it was boomzie';s pick not yours

Boomz

Don't think he's been taken... Dan Moriarty.

AFEV

Might pick up my 3rd ruckman, Tom Leahy.

BratPack

DazBurg

still haven';t done my pick can skip if you wish i seriously don't have the motivation at the moment to look into research after today
been to a funeral and such

BratPack

Well I'll take my pick cause I'm pretty sure Daz has no interest in him. It's the pick anyone who knows me knew was coming.

"The Velvet Sledgehammer" Matthew Lloyd

And now my final team

B George "Jocka" Todd , Stephen Silvagni, Charlie Sutton
HB Glen Jakovich, Ross Glendinning , Walter Scott
C  Robert Flower , Barry Cable , Robert Harvey
HF Chris Grant, Royce Hart , Stephen Kernahan
F Peter Hudson, John Coleman, Matthew Lloyd
Foll Graham "Polly" Farmer, Haydn Bunton Sr, Bob Skilton
Int Len Thompson, Matthew Richardson, Steve Marsh, Darren Millane
Emer Kevin "Cowboy" Neale, Garry Lyon, Terry Daniher
Reserves Dennis Carroll, Simon Black, Gary Buckenara

AFEV

To finish the team I'll take Horrie Gorringe.

B: Glelnn Archer, Geoff Southby, Reg Hickey
HB: Trevor Barker, Albert Collier, Bruce Doull
C: Keith Greig, Jack Clarke, Robert DiPierdomenico
HF: Jack Moriarty, Bernie Quinlan, Jack Mueller
F: Steven Milne, Gordon Coventry, Brad Johnson
R: Jack Dyer, Dick Reynolds, Ron Barassi

INT: Michael Tuck, Scott West, Ken Farmer, Peter Carey

EMG: Doug Wade, Paul Kelly, Laurie Nash

Reserves: Dale Weightman, Tom Leahy, Horrie Gorringe

DazBurg

Quote from: Sid on November 21, 2012, 01:20:39 PM

ok i'm confused i understand i got skipped but on the front page it says BP is after me ??

DazBurg

i'll go with

Lindsey Head

Triple Magarey Medallist Lindsay Head was the first South Australian player to notch up 300 games. He was also, arguably, one of the code’s most skilful and intelligent players. Not that he lacked either courage or competitiveness - players simply do not rack up the number of decisive, clean possessions Head repeatedly managed if they do not boast such qualities; it was just that he seemed to perform almost every action on the football field with such smooth panache and effortless artistry that at times it was as though he was on a different plane from everyone else. That said, he could never truly be called a two-sided player, preferring to resort to a variation of the check side kick when caught on the wrong foot; however, such was Head’s artistry and dedication to practice that he was able to perform this kick with exquisite accuracy time and time again.
An ardent traditionalist, Head refused numerous offers to move to Victoria to play. His loyalty to West Torrens is all the more remarkable when you consider that, after playing in a premiership side in only his second ever season, Head never again went even remotely close to a flag. On the personal front, however, he did win the club best and fairest award on a remarkable eight occasions, kicked more than 500 career goals, and represented South Australia no fewer than 37 times. Chosen as an All Australian in 1956, he also won the Advertiser Trophy on three occasions, the News-Ampol Trophy twice, and was voted ADS7 Footballer of the Year in 1962.

Career highlights

West Torrens premiership player 1953
    West Torrens leading goalkicker 1954
    Magarey Medal 1955, 1958, 1963
    West Torrens best and fairest 1955â€"56, 1958â€"59, 1962â€"63, 1966â€"67
    All-Australian team 1956
    West Torrens life member 1962
    West Torrens president 1984â€"88
    West Torrens chairman 1986â€"88
    SANFL player life member
    Australian Football Hall of Fame inaugural inductee 1996
    South Australian Football Hall of Fame inaugural inductee 2002
    Woodville-West Torrens life member
    Woodville-West Torrens life governor

and

Len Fitzgerald

The Australian football landscape of half a century ago was considerably different to that of today. In particular, there was no equivalent of the Australian Football League. While the AFL has in recent years been systematically manufacturing a "History" for itself which derives from an imaginary contiguity with the old suburban VFL, the truth is that, prior to the re-location of South Melbourne to Sydney in 1982, the VFL was a state competition pure and simple. Granted, it was by some measure the strongest state competition in Australia, and this strength had tended to magnify as more and more elite non-Victorian players entered the league. However, whereas nowadays it would be reasonable to suggest that nigh on 100% of the very best footballers in Australia ply their trade in the AFL, this was very far from being the case in the old, suburban VFL.

A classic case in point is Len Fitzgerald. His move from Victoria Park to Unley in 1951 after 96 games with Collingwood was indicative of the fact that, even to an elite player at what was then Australia's most illustrious sporting club, football was not the prime controlling influence in life. Football players did not depend for their livelihood on the game, and so when Sturt managed to secure more lucrative employment for Fitzgerald than the Magpies had been able to arrange for him in Melbourne, the result was that the balance of football power between South Australia and Victoria shifted ever so slightly in favour of the former.

If Len Fitzgerald had been a prominent player at Collingwood, he soon developed into a veritable champion with the Double Blues. After a relatively slow start to his SANFL career "Fitzie"- who took over the Sturt coaching reins midway through his debut season - gradually went from strength to strength. In 1952 he won every media award going, together with Sturt's club champion award and the first of his three Magarey Medals. The 1953 season brought interstate selection for South Australia at the Adelaide carnival, followed by inclusion in the inaugural All Australian team. The second Magarey Medal followed in 1954 but Fitzgerald declared himself more concerned by Sturt's late season loss to wooden spoon side Glenelg which cost the Double Blues a place in the finals.

Matters were rectified somewhat in 1955 as Sturt reached the preliminary final but the club's failure to honour a verbal pledge to bestow a $50 bonus upon its coach induced Fitzgerald to start an immediate search for pastures new.

The next three seasons saw Fitzgerald starring for and coaching Benalla in the powerful Ovens and Murray Football League but he returned to Sturt purely as a player in 1959 and won another Magarey as the Double Blues reached the finals for the first time since his departure.

Nagging injuries blighted Fitzgerald?? final couple of seasons in league football but nothing should mar the memory of a supremely adaptable footballer with lightning reflexes, excellent ball handling skills and, perhaps above all else, an awesome strength which was exhibited both in body on body clashes with opponents as well as when taking seemingly miraculous marks in pack situations. All told, he played a total of 125 SANFL matches for Sturt, booting 201 goals, and represented South Australia 17 times, kicking 5 goals.

As a league coach, Len Fitzgerald experienced significantly less success, steering Glenelg to fourth, sixth and last places in three seasons in charge during the 1960s.

He retained his passion for the game throughout his life, and news of his death in April 2007 saddened football followers from all over Australia and beyond.

Career highlights

Three time Sturt best and fairest
    Played 20 matches for South Australia
    Triple Magarey Medallist, 1952, 1954 and 1959
    All Australian 1953
    Inducted Australian Football Hall of Fame 1996
    Inducted SANFL Hall of Fame 2002

AFEV

Quote from: DazBurg on November 21, 2012, 08:55:57 PM

ok i'm confused i understand i got skipped but on the front page it says BP is after me ??
BP took his pick didn't he?

BratPack

Quote from: Sid on November 22, 2012, 12:59:02 AM

I did. I took Lloyd

DazBurg

Quote from: BratPack on November 22, 2012, 11:54:09 AM
Quote from: Sid on November 22, 2012, 12:59:02 AM

I did. I took Lloyd
oh missed that sorry

AFEV

Boomz skipped.

:(

Ringo up with the last pick.

Ringo

With my last pick and can not see him picked Peter Knights

PETER KNIGHTS
No. 24
Position: Half back flank
Career: 1969-85
Games: 264. Goals: 201
Premierships: 1976, 78, 83. Night premierships: 1969. Finals appearances: 20
Awards: Nine-time interstate representative; 1975 Club Champion.

Noted for his spectacular and death-defying marks, Knights effectively sailed into greatness. His missed out on the 1976 Brownlow by three votes after being outed for seven games with a broken collarbone. He also missed the 1971 Grand Final through injury, but played in three subsequent premierships.

Knights predominantly played at centre half-back but had the versatility to switch to attack, heading the Hawks goalkicking in 1972 after Peter Hudson was injured. Niggling back and hamstring problems appeared to signal the end of his career in 1982, however he overcame them and went to play some of his best football.

Team:
FB: Gary Ayres; David Dench; Kelvin Moore;
HB: Wally Donald: Dick Grigg; Peter Knights
C: Todd Viney: Michael Voss; Doug Hawkins
HF: Allan Ruthven; Alex Jesaulenko; Gary Ablett Snr
FF: Norm Smith; Tony Lockett; Peter Daicos
R:Simon Madden; Ross G Smith; Kevin Bartlett
I/C:  Nathan Buckley; Tim Watson; Tony Morwood; Wayne Schimmelbusch.

Emergencies: Peter Bedford; Kevin Sheedy; Jock McHale

Reserves: Robert Walls; John Murphy, Bert Deacon

Boomz

Sorry guys thought my picks were all done and was away. I'll take Snowy Hamilton.