All Time Fantasy Draft: Clubs

Started by AFEV, September 05, 2012, 06:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBs-Hawks

Quote from: BratPack on November 14, 2012, 01:16:48 PM
With Sid skipped it comes to me. And I might welcome a old friend from my All Time Eras Team back to help my backline a bit

Walter Scott

Walter Scott was one of South Australia's finest ever defenders and arguably the most illustrious name in the history of the Norwood Football Club. His abilities were evident right from the start of his League career in 1920 when, in a Norwood team that was good enough to play off for the premiership, he won the club's best and fairest award.
The following season saw Scott (known affectionately as 'Wat' or 'Wacka') make the first of what would end up being an Australian record 38 consecutive interstate appearances.  He was also runner up in the Magarey Medal despite receiving the same number of votes as the winner,South Adelaide's Dan Moriarty. [see footnote 1]   Consolation was later to arrive in the shape of the 1924 and 1930 Medals.
Along with Dan Moriarty and Jack Hamilton ( who was later replaced by Jim Handby), Walter Scott completed South Australia's most celebrated interstate half back line.  Normally placed on a flank, with Moriarty in the middle, Scott was arguably the most defensively-minded member of the unit.  A strong, safe mark when in front position, he was also a redoubtable spoiler from behind, with uncanny judgement of the flight of the ball the key to both skills.  Sound judgement was also a major element in Scott's prowess as a ground player, and he shared with the likes of Bruce Doull, Guy McKenna, Frank Jenkins and Kevin Murray the quintessential defender's capacity for seldom lowering his colours in a one on one contest.
A club record (shared with Michael Taylor) six times winner of the Norwood best and fairest award Walter Scott's career effectively ended after he sustained a serious knee injury in the last minor round game of 1930 against Port Adelaide.  He did later play 2 further games, taking his final tally to 174, but all this did was prove to him that his knee was genuinely 'gone'.  It is perhaps no coincidence that the Redlegs, who had won four premierships and contested seven grand finals during Scott's eleven year career, would have to wait another eleven years for their next flag.
During the 1930s, Walter Scott undertook coaching stints at Norwood, West Adelaide, Glenelg and Sturt, but failed to lift any of these teams above 3rd place on the ladder.  As a player, however, there have been few better.

Cheers for the write up BP. Whilst I love Norwood almost as much as my hawks Im not quite as aware of our history so always good to learn abit about our history and our legends of the game.

AFEV

Quote from: DazBurg on November 14, 2012, 08:26:52 PM
well i'm going with
Russell Ebert

Four times a winner of South Australia's most prestigious individual football award, the Magarey Medal, Russell Ebert's solo achievements belied the fact that he was, above all else, a quintessential team man. Like his contemporary, Barrie Robran, frequently regarded as Ebert's chief rival for the unofficial title of South Australia?? greatest ever footballer, Russell Ebert off the field was shy and unassuming, preferring - if the cliché can be allowed - to "Let his football do the talking"

And how loquacious that football was! Quite simply, Russell Ebert probably came as close as any player in history to exhibiting complete mastery over all the essential skills of the game. On the attacking side he was a superb mark, handled the ball brilliantly in all conditions, and typically disposed of it, whether by foot or by hand, with pinpoint accuracy. However, it was his defensive qualities which really marked Ebert out from the herd; unlike many acknowledged champion players Ebert excelled in performing the small, often unnoticed, ostensibly ignominious tasks that are so vital to a winning performance - tasks like shepherding, smothering, checking, tackling, spoiling which are the traditional function of the football journeyman rather than the superstar.

And "Superstar"- an admittedly much over-used term - is exactly what Russell Ebert was.

Between 1968 and 1985 he played a total of 417 games of league football, all but 25 of them with Port Adelaide. (The others came during a single season stint with North Melbourne in 1979.) He also represented South Australia 29 times. In addition to his Magarey Medal wins in 1971, 1974, 1976 and 1980 he was Port's best and fairest player on no fewer than half a dozen occasions. He had the satisfaction in 1977 of captaining the Magpies to their first premiership in twelve years, and also played in the premiership teams of 1980 and 1981. After the 1981 grand final victory over Glenelg, he won the Jack Oatey Medal for best afield. Mere statistics can only hint at the true genius that was Russell Ebert, however.

As a coach, Ebert enjoyed rather less success, but his accomplishments were by no means negligible. He steered Port Adelaide to the 1984 grand final, for instance, and masterminded South Australia's state of origin victories over Western Australia in 1996 and 1998.

Career highlights

Magarey Medal 1971, 1974, 1976, 1980
    Port Adelaide best and fairest 1971, 1972, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1981
    Port Adelaide leading goalkicker 1968
    Port Adelaide captain 1974-1978, 1983-1985
    Port Adelaide premierships 1977, 1980, 1981

You have another one Daz. :)

DazBurg

Quote from: Sid on November 14, 2012, 09:07:40 PM
well i'm going with
Russell Ebert

Four times a winner of South Australia's most prestigious individual football award, the Magarey Medal, Russell Ebert's solo achievements belied the fact that he was, above all else, a quintessential team man. Like his contemporary, Barrie Robran, frequently regarded as Ebert's chief rival for the unofficial title of South Australia?? greatest ever footballer, Russell Ebert off the field was shy and unassuming, preferring - if the cliché can be allowed - to "Let his football do the talking"

And how loquacious that football was! Quite simply, Russell Ebert probably came as close as any player in history to exhibiting complete mastery over all the essential skills of the game. On the attacking side he was a superb mark, handled the ball brilliantly in all conditions, and typically disposed of it, whether by foot or by hand, with pinpoint accuracy. However, it was his defensive qualities which really marked Ebert out from the herd; unlike many acknowledged champion players Ebert excelled in performing the small, often unnoticed, ostensibly ignominious tasks that are so vital to a winning performance - tasks like shepherding, smothering, checking, tackling, spoiling which are the traditional function of the football journeyman rather than the superstar.

And "Superstar"- an admittedly much over-used term - is exactly what Russell Ebert was.

Between 1968 and 1985 he played a total of 417 games of league football, all but 25 of them with Port Adelaide. (The others came during a single season stint with North Melbourne in 1979.) He also represented South Australia 29 times. In addition to his Magarey Medal wins in 1971, 1974, 1976 and 1980 he was Port's best and fairest player on no fewer than half a dozen occasions. He had the satisfaction in 1977 of captaining the Magpies to their first premiership in twelve years, and also played in the premiership teams of 1980 and 1981. After the 1981 grand final victory over Glenelg, he won the Jack Oatey Medal for best afield. Mere statistics can only hint at the true genius that was Russell Ebert, however.

As a coach, Ebert enjoyed rather less success, but his accomplishments were by no means negligible. He steered Port Adelaide to the 1984 grand final, for instance, and masterminded South Australia's state of origin victories over Western Australia in 1996 and 1998.

Career highlights

Opps my bad...lol...do it now

AFEV

Quote from: DazBurg on November 14, 2012, 09:08:21 PM

Haha no problem mate. At least it didn't take you 24 hours to realise. :-[

DazBurg

Quote from: DazBurg on November 14, 2012, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: Sid on November 14, 2012, 09:07:40 PM
well i'm going with
Russell Ebert

Career highlights

ok for 2nd one i pick

Bill Walker

Watching recordings of matches played as long ago as the 1960s only a few players immediately catch the eye as possessing the attributes necessary for success in modern day, professional football. One such player is Bill Walker, who combined an uncanny sense of knowing where the ball was, and how to get it, with a rare, fastidious intelligence in its disposal (albeit that, when kicking, he tended to favour either the drop kick or the stab pass, a ??railty??which a twenty-first century coaching team would no doubt waste little time in eradicating).
Walker, who was born at Huntley in New Zealand, made his debut with Swans in 1961 and over the course of the next sixteen seasons would go on to play a record 305 games for the club. His arrival at Bassendean coincided with that of Haydn Bunton junior, who, in his first three years in Western Australian football, would be responsible for masterminding the club?? first three premierships. Bunton also shared the roving duties with Walker, who kicked 5.5 in Swans??debut premiership win in 1961, and was an integral member of the side as it established a new benchmark for football in the state.
Ultimately, Swan Districts??pre-eminence could not last, but Walker remained at the forefront of the game throughout his career. Sandover Medallist three years in a row from 1965 to 1967, he was later awarded a fourth Medal (that of 1970) as part of the Westar Rules hierarchy?? decision, in 1997, to ape the VFL by bestowing retrospective Medals on those players who had lost only on countback, or on the casting vote of the league president. Bill Walker thus shares with Russell Ebert the record of being the only players to have won four separate major state awards in the same competition.
When at the height of his prowess, between 1965 and 1970, it would be hard to dispute the contention that Walker was the finest player in the land. Apart from his four Sandovers, he finished second and fifth in the other two seasons, averaging 19.3 votes per year; he was Swan Districts??club champion every year but one; and in interstate games (of which he played 21) he was almost invariably named in Western Australia?? best players, winning a Simpson Medal against South Australia at Subiaco in 1967.
Often mentioned in the same breath as another superlative Western Australian rover, Barry Cable, Walker shared many of the same attributes, but had an edge in pace, which arguably made him the more damaging player. Not surprisingly, Bill Walker was chosen as first rover in the official Swan Districts ??eam of the Century??
He continued to contribute immensely to the club he loved long after his retirement as a player, most notably between 1983 and part way through 1995 when he served as president.

Career highlights

Swan Districts leading goalkicker 1961
    Swan Districts premiership side 1961, 1962, 1963
    Sandover Medal 1965, 1966, 1967, 1970
    Swan Districts best and fairest 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970
    Simpson Medal 1967 (interstate)
    Australian Football World Tour 1968
    All-Australian team 1969
    Swan Districts captain 1969â€"75
    WAFL life member 1985
    Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 1996
    West Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee 2004

BratPack

Continuing to solidify my backline. I'll take Glen Jakovich

Glen Jakovich (born 24 March 1973) is a former Australian rules footballer for the West Coast Eagles.
Glen was recruited from South Fremantle in Western Australia and debuted in 1991 and played most of his career at the Centre Half Back position, in the number 27 gernsey. He was selected in that position in the All Australian team of 1994 and 1995.
Glen was notable for his duels with rival Centre Half Forward, North Melbourne Football Club's Wayne Carey. Carey was considered to be one of the best of all time, and the contests between these two were highly anticipated events on the football calendar.
After undergoing a knee reconstruction in 1996 he was unable to recapture his superlative form of the previous three years. Although still able to win his club's best and fairest award in 2000, he was not the imposing player of the past. At his peak he was rated by many as one of the very best players in the competition.
His brother Allen Jakovich was a full-forward for the Melbourne Football Club. During their career, the two brothers lined up against each other on more than one occasion.
Much taller than his brother at 193 cm, but at 100 kg, both brothers were similarly large in stature.
Glen Jakovich retired from football in 2004.
Jakovich now is an Expert Commentator on Fox Sports and 882 6PR.
In 2008 he was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame.
Jakovich is married to Emily and they have three children. He is a second generation Australian of Croatian heritage.

AFEV

Need somebody to back Dyer up, Peter Carey.

Boomz

Ringo

Sorry guys at a conference in Melbourne at the moment.  Will put my 2 picks up later tonight if that is ok.  Should be around 10:00pm. by the time I finish the research, Know it is outside time frame but only just logged on to check this morning and need to be in seession by 8:00am.

BratPack

Quote from: Ringo on November 16, 2012, 08:03:45 AM
Sorry guys at a conference in Melbourne at the moment.  Will put my 2 picks up later tonight if that is ok.  Should be around 10:00pm. by the time I finish the research, Know it is outside time frame but only just logged on to check this morning and need to be in seession by 8:00am.

It's cool Ringo. I'll give you till tomorrow morning when I log on.  :P

AFEV

Ringo

I select John Murphy and Bert Deacon

Boomz

Ringo

Will do full wtite ups when I get back toi Brissie but was looking for positional players for team balance.

BratPack

Why did I think it was my pick after Ringo's?  :-[