AFL DT 2013

Started by trjd81, September 02, 2012, 10:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trjd81

Well, what a long season!  But, I am already looking forward to season 2013, and have started compiling a list of potential players for my team.

Am interested in everyone's thoughts as to who they think will be bargains in season 2013, and who are the must-haves.

Please feel free to throw as many names around sas you want - I will keep note of everyone and follow them through the pre-season. 

Personally, I think Cotchin is a must-have.  Gibbs will be Mid/Def and Hodge Mid/Fwd, making them must haves too.  Sam Docherty will be in everyone's team, as will Tom Mitchell (Sydney). 

Who will you have as a smokey in 2013?  I think everyside needs at least 2 smokeys - you don't win unless you take risks!!!

Next year, will there be a ruckman like Z.Smith in 2011 and J.Giles in 2012?  I think a lot of people will have to go back to the 2 gun rucks from Round 1 - but who will they be?  For me, it is between McEvoy, Mummy and Leuenberger.  Cox will be too expensive and a year older, and Nic Nat is like a yo-yo.  Jacobs is worth a go, but will be expensive too, and Maric is in the same boat.

Looking forward to developing some great conversation here.  Also, does anyone have any idea when prices for next year will first be made available?

Cheers

TRock will be an absolute must have if Mid/Fwd but will still consider him if only Mid.

kiss01

Rockliff.....Will surely be a Mid/Fwd and despite his poor end to the year I think he is definitely worth the risk...

KoopKicka

Defenders -
Locking in Pearce Hanley and Jack Grimes, and Andy C if DPP is retained, if not Beau Waters
Ill be taking a punt on Bock
Hartlett is on my radar, as is Reily
Toumpas, Buntine, Docherty to be the rookies.
Danny Stanley as well if defender

Mids -
Starting with 3 of Swan,Pendles,GAJ and Cotch
Embley/Broadbent will be my 4th Mid
O'Meara, Crouch, Whitfield and T.Mitchell are all locks

Rucks -
Set and forget (NicNat and Burger)
Vardy as number 3 ruck, dunno about number 4 yet.

Forwards-
LeCras is a lock, as is Shuey if DPP
Christensen and Clancee Pearce are locks for me.
Ben Kennedy, Macaffer, Krakouer will alll be in there somewhere. :)

Fireballz

DEF: Hoping Lids is still a def, Goddard, Grimes, Suckling
MID: Prob won't start with Swan as his price should drop again. GAJ, Cotchin, Watson are locks. Beams will be in my side whether he's DPP or not
RUCK: Maric, Burger and 2 rooks
FWD: Dangerfield should keep his DPP so I'll have him, LeCras will be in everyone's side, and Buddy should get a guernsey again

DT87

DEF: I think Goddard, Birchall and Heppell are the three most reliable young backmen, so I have pretty much locked all three of them in. Gibbs is a lock if he gets MPP. I don't think there are any particularly good midpricers here, but Golby could take another step up. Sam Docherty is a lock if he starts in Round 1, especially if he is cheaper in 2013 than this season.

MID: I don't think I can call anyone a lock here yet, but Cotchin, Pendlebury and Murphy are all likely to be in my team. David Swallow is tempting as a midpricer, but with plenty of midprice options in the rucks and forwards I don't think there is any need for one in the mids. Lachie Whitfield looks like a gun and should be worth the price premium over other rookies.

RUC: If fit, Leuenberger is a lock, even if he doesn't get a discount (which is quite possible since Petrie didn't get one last year after only playing two games in 2010). Naitanui should lift his average again, though since he has the highest contested disposal percentage in the AFL he will probably always be more of a SCer than a DTer. Jarryd Roughead should be seriously considered as DPP cover. With no Zac Smith or Jonathan Giles type rookie next season, starting a rookie will be a bad idea.

FWD: Plenty of good cheapish options here. Last season I mostly picked DPP players who averaged under 90 the year before in the forwards, and will probably do the same in 2013. Fyfe, Wright, Bennell, Martin and Zaharakis should all average more in 2013, though all five of them also have a chance of losing their DPP status. LeCras is a lock, and Gray, Krakouer, Varcoe, Knights, Kennedy, Macaffer, Winderlich and Lynch are all worth considering as discounted midpricers, depending on price, preseason, fitness and other factors.

Shihan7

DEF: Gibbs(If a def/mid), Hanley, Suckling

MID: GAJ, Swan, Beams, Pendles

RUC: Burger

FWD: Rockliff (if mid/fwd), Lecras, Zaha

Fireballz

Quote from: DT87 on September 03, 2012, 01:02:24 AM
DEF: I think Goddard, Birchall and Heppell are the three most reliable young backmen, so I have pretty much locked all three of them in. Gibbs is a lock if he gets MPP. I don't think there are any particularly good midpricers here, but Golby could take another step up. Sam Docherty is a lock if he starts in Round 1, especially if he is cheaper in 2013 than this season.

MID: I don't think I can call anyone a lock here yet, but Cotchin, Pendlebury and Murphy are all likely to be in my team. David Swallow is tempting as a midpricer, but with plenty of midprice options in the rucks and forwards I don't think there is any need for one in the mids. Lachie Whitfield looks like a gun and should be worth the price premium over other rookies.

RUC: If fit, Leuenberger is a lock, even if he doesn't get a discount (which is quite possible since Petrie didn't get one last year after only playing two games in 2010). Naitanui should lift his average again, though since he has the highest contested disposal percentage in the AFL he will probably always be more of a SCer than a DTer. Jarryd Roughead should be seriously considered as DPP cover. With no Zac Smith or Jonathan Giles type rookie next season, starting a rookie will be a bad idea.

FWD: Plenty of good cheapish options here. Last season I mostly picked DPP players who averaged under 90 the year before in the forwards, and will probably do the same in 2013. Fyfe, Wright, Bennell, Martin and Zaharakis should all average more in 2013, though all five of them also have a chance of losing their DPP status. LeCras is a lock, and Gray, Krakouer, Varcoe, Knights, Kennedy, Macaffer, Winderlich and Lynch are all worth considering as discounted midpricers, depending on price, preseason, fitness and other factors.
Petrie was under $300k last year. Def got a discount and so will burger.

DT87

Quote from: Fireballz on September 03, 2012, 09:52:20 PM
Quote from: DT87 on September 03, 2012, 01:02:24 AM

Petrie was under $300k last year. Def got a discount and so will burger.

No he didn't. He was priced exactly at his 2010 average of 50.5 with no discount. It only seems like he was discounted because he averaged so low the year before. Leuenberger might fall into the same category in that he averaged so low that a discount would make him too cheap. He probably will get a 10% or 20% discount though.

Fireballz

Ah ok unless they go either by their average during the injury year or by discounting what their price would be based on the previous season's average, whichever is lower. But Leuenberger is in almost the exact same situation with a simular average so should be priced same as Petrie last year right ($209,000?) ?

Noz

One of my first selected players in 2013 will be Bryce Gibbs in for a big year especially if Malthouse is the coach.

Justin Bieber

Birchall and Cotchin. Set and forget. Team finished and won.

Dave085

Ive not given it much thought,

How about Shane Tuck for a touch of something different?
Im going to give Dusty Martin another crack if he retains DPP or is a forward.
Will wait and see how this fits but looking at going Maric/Jacobs in the ruck.

Really nothing exciting here yet. I dont usually get into picking a new team until a few weeks before, otherwise it sends me nuts and i overthink things...

DT87

Quote from: Fireballz on September 03, 2012, 11:33:53 PM
Ah ok unless they go either by their average during the injury year or by discounting what their price would be based on the previous season's average, whichever is lower. But Leuenberger is in almost the exact same situation with a simular average so should be priced same as Petrie last year right ($209,000?) ?

Leuenberger should be more than that, though the salary cap will be a bit more than it was in 2011 so he'll be just about as easy to afford. Player prices were lower than usual last year so it would be easier to fit 33 players under the salary cap instead of the usual 30. This year the magic number was a little under 5000, so with the rising salary cap it should be a little over 5000 next year. If we guess the magic number will be exactly 5000 (which is a fair enough estimate) with no discount Leuey would be approximately $283,300. A 10% discount would make him about $255,000, 20% would be about $226,600. I don't think players who play 3 games usually get more than 20% (especially not players who have averaged over 90 the year before), so this is probably about the least we can expect to pay for Leuey.

Ricochet

Quote from: whatlez on September 04, 2012, 07:41:12 PM
Birchall and Cotchin. Set and forget. Team finished and won.
no love for Golby and Gia :o

KoopKicka

Im actually considering starting with Golby