What to do with Sam Mitchell?

Started by Hagebear, August 28, 2012, 08:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagebear

I have 1 trade remaining and baring and out's this week an looking at offloading Mitch. Have 70 grand remaining so can afford anyone except Swan and Cotchin. Was thinking maybe Murphy v St Kilda, Swallow v GWS or even Tuck v Port. Thoughts??
Midfield is Ablett, Watson, Boyd, Pendlebury, Thompson and Mitchell.

GoLions

Swallow vs GWS seems like the best option. Couple of smokeys, Redden vs Bulldogs, and Mundy vs Melbourne could turn out alright. But Swallow definitely the best option imo.

Adamant

I actually like Tuck v Port.
Cornes/Thomas will target Lids and Cotch, which will leave Tuck to do his own thing under the radar and rack it up.

Fireballz

Last 4 games against WCE, Mitchell has scored 122, 129, 147 and 140. Granted his form isn't the best but I'd back him in to do better than the others you mentioned.
Swallow scored 98 vs GWS, 95 vs GC and 93 vs Bulldogs this year so i fail to see how he's a better option.

If you need to trade then I like GoLions suggestion of Redden vs Bulldogs.

henry

Quote from: Fireballz on August 28, 2012, 11:36:28 PM
Last 4 games against WCE, Mitchell has scored 122, 129, 147 and 140. Granted his form isn't the best but I'd back him in to do better than the others you mentioned.
Swallow scored 98 vs GWS, 95 vs GC and 93 vs Bulldogs this year so i fail to see how he's a better option.

Good suggestions, I would strongly consider keeping him. Gws doesn't always give up the big scores to midfielders we expect, generally the highest scorers are forwards. Murphy could be a nice unique option, but of course wait and see if there are any suprising outs come Thursday

Heppell21

Quote from: Adamant on August 28, 2012, 11:09:27 PM
Cornes/Thomas will target Lids and Cotch, which will leave Tuck to do his own thing under the radar and rack it up.
+1

lipservice

Quote from: Heppell21 on August 29, 2012, 10:31:21 AM
Quote from: Adamant on August 28, 2012, 11:09:27 PM
+1

This!

Artax

Also think Tuck is a good cheeky option

Hagebear

You don't think his form plus a Scott Selwood tag are a worry this time??

Shihan7

Quote from: Artax on August 29, 2012, 12:14:06 PM
Also think Tuck is a good cheeky option
Yes Tuck would be a good unique option, and he wont get tagged.

Windigo

Tuck for something different!  :D

Hagebear

Mmm just really want to bring in the highest scoring option for 500 grand. Tuck should score well but doesn't have a huge ceiling, Murphy got tagged out of it by Clint Jones last time for 68 ( and looks like jones will be back this week) and Swallow hasn't performed well against GWS and the Gold Coast. Or will Sam Mitchell score well against West Coast and Scott Selwood?

henry

Quote from: Hagebear on August 29, 2012, 04:56:11 PM
Mmm just really want to bring in the highest scoring option for 500 grand. Tuck should score well but doesn't have a huge ceiling, Murphy got tagged out of it by Clint Jones last time for 68 ( and looks like jones will be back this week) and Swallow hasn't performed well against GWS and the Gold Coast. Or will Sam Mitchell score well against West Coast and Scott Selwood?
Tuck doesn't have a high ceiling? He has scored over 150 twice this year, against Melbourne and Hawthorn. He has scored over 130 another 2 times (so 4 in total) against Adelaide and Essendon. Mitchell has only scored above 130 once, (round 1), Swallow has only passed 150 once and Murphy has only passed 130 twice. So arguably Tuck has the highest ceiling of any of them.

However, I'm still not sure why you want to trade out Mitchell. Including last week's shocker, he has scored  tons in 7 of his last 9 games with the next lowest being 84. Last time he played west coast (in round 4) he scored 122 where he was against Scott Selwood. All this augurs well for a good score on Friday. I'm definitely keeping him and advise you do likewise.

Fireballz

Quote from: Hagebear on August 29, 2012, 12:52:01 PM

You don't think his form plus a Scott Selwood tag are a worry this time??
If I was in your position I would keep him. Surely you have a player who's is averaging worse on your team that you could upgrade.

Adamant

Quote from: henry on August 29, 2012, 07:33:07 PM
Quote from: Hagebear on August 29, 2012, 04:56:11 PM
Tuck doesn't have a high ceiling? He has scored over 150 twice this year, against Melbourne and Hawthorn. He has scored over 130 another 2 times (so 4 in total) against Adelaide and Essendon. Mitchell has only scored above 130 once, (round 1), Swallow has only passed 150 once and Murphy has only passed 130 twice. So arguably Tuck has the highest ceiling of any of them.

However, I'm still not sure why you want to trade out Mitchell. Including last week's shocker, he has scored  tons in 7 of his last 9 games with the next lowest being 84. Last time he played west coast (in round 4) he scored 122 where he was against Scott Selwood. All this augurs well for a good score on Friday. I'm definitely keeping him and advise you do likewise.
+1 well said.
Tuck has a massive ceiling!