Main Menu

Neil Armstrong

Started by Cicjose, August 26, 2012, 12:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

We talk about Heroes a lot in football....

This guy was a real one.

Torpedo10

RIP Neil, You will always be a hero!

Mr.Craig

tbagrocks

Quote from: ossie85 on August 26, 2012, 12:45:06 PM

This guy was a real one.
I'm sorry I don't get it, how was he a hero?

Ziplock

all the armstrongs going down one way or another...
:P

BB67th

Sad news, was an amazing person and will be missed.

ossie85

Quote from: tbagrocks on August 26, 2012, 02:13:17 PM

This guy was a real one.

Put himself at great risk to his life, to achieve something nobody else did, inspired a nation and the world that the seemingly impossible can be achieved.

He wasn't the only one, many of the original astronauts did a simply crazy amount of risk

T Dog

I still remember watching the landing at primary school...dont remember much from back then, but this made an impression..

Torpedo10

Quote from: ossie85 on August 26, 2012, 02:28:04 PM
Quote from: tbagrocks on August 26, 2012, 02:13:17 PM

This guy was a real one.

Put himself at great risk to his life, to achieve something nobody else did, inspired a nation and the world that the seemingly impossible can be achieved.

He wasn't the only one, many of the original astronauts did a simply crazy amount of risk
This is just one of the many risks. He had about 20 seconds of fuel left to land but the spacecraft was heading towards a bumpy area so he tried to land slightly further away to have some flat land. If they'd run of of fuel the spacecraft would've crashed while trying to land. Instead they landed safely in a safe spot.

Grazz

This guy was a real one.

Was thinking the exact same thing Ossie. The words legend and hero are thrown about all to easilly these days
but he was that and more.

tbagrocks

I really don't see how landing on the moon does anything for society at all, I guess doing it and returning home safely is something but they put themselves in that position in the first place, how does walking on the moon make you a legend? sorry but I don't buy it

Ziplock

now days, it doesn't seem too heroic... but back then, nobody had done it before and it was really dangerous and risky in general. The balls you'd have to have to go up there are ridiculous- he's a hero not only because he achieved great things, but also because he dreamed of great things, and worked his way up there at great personal risk for the betterment of mankind.

ossie85

Quote from: tbagrocks on August 26, 2012, 03:52:08 PM
I really don't see how landing on the moon does anything for society at all, I guess doing it and returning home safely is something but they put themselves in that position in the first place, how does walking on the moon make you a legend? sorry but I don't buy it

High standards tba! Curious to know what someone has to do....

You have to put it in historical context, the space race, the cold war, between the Soviet Union and the US. Not really that much time after 2 world wars and the biggest world depression known.

Hundreds of millions watched that live - and this was before everyone had 6 televisions. If even a small percentage of that was inspired by Armstrong (and the whole team), it would have made a remarkable impact.

Master Q