The 2012 AFL Trade, Free Agency, Draft and Off-Season Thread

Started by Tominator, August 24, 2012, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

apparently it was Tippett's manager and Tippett himself that stated there must be the clause in the contract, otherwise he would not sign it

Toga

Quote from: Tominator on October 25, 2012, 12:39:40 AM
apparently it was Tippett's manager and Tippett himself that stated there must be the clause in the contract, otherwise he would not sign it

Don't think it makes a difference tbh, Adelaide signed it off so there'll be consequences as a result...

Also, there's allegations that your actual salary cap was breached so thats probably more of an issue atm

Justin Bieber

Kurt Tippett is probably the worst thing to come from Adelaide

valkorum

Confirmed: Broughton to Gold Coast for a packet of chips. 

Broughton and pick #60 to Gold Coast in return for pick #37

Toga

Quote from: valkorum on October 25, 2012, 11:35:55 AM

very good outcome for gold coast!

valkorum

Quote from: Toga on October 25, 2012, 12:04:40 PM

very good outcome for gold coast!

I agree :(

Ricochet

nooooo  :'(

Chopps

Tominator

My Chumps

Some good trades for celler dwellers...

I know we all said it last year, but could it finally be time for Melbourne to seriously improve?  :P

Toga

Quote from: My Chumps on October 25, 2012, 05:11:23 PM
Some good trades for celler dwellers...

I know we all said it last year, but could it finally be time for Melbourne to seriously improve?  :P

I think so :P

Port and Melbourne have both done some seriously good recruiting this trade period, and it might just be time they start crawling up the ladder again!

Tominator

Quote from: Toga on October 25, 2012, 10:10:35 AM

Don't think it makes a difference tbh, Adelaide signed it off so there'll be consequences as a result...

Also, there's allegations that your actual salary cap was breached so thats probably more of an issue atm

how has this one deal breached our salary cap? Wasn't this just a contract breach, even though he was being paid under the salary cap?

And with the thing about Joel Tippett... if we paid for him to come to Adelaide (the city) wouldn't we have done that with football expenses too.... if he doesn't play for the club how is that a breach of salary cap ?   ???

Mailman the 2nd

Quote from: Tominator on October 25, 2012, 06:40:35 PM

how has this one deal breached our salary cap? Wasn't this just a contract breach, even though he was being paid under the salary cap?

And with the thing about Joel Tippett... if we paid for him to come to Adelaide (the city) wouldn't we have done that with football expenses too.... if he doesn't play for the club how is that a breach of salary cap ?   ???

AFL haven't given any news as to where they are investigating for the salary breach

Toga

Quote from: Tominator on October 25, 2012, 06:40:35 PM

No, other deals may have breached your salary cap by the sound of it... No one knows the full story about what's going on yet....

The whole tippett deal is a contract breach, but it has opened up a whole new investigation...

This is just what I have heard from various media reports, don't shoot the messenger :P

Tominator

full a full wrap in the day's news go here... it is long

Straight from www.Facebook.com/theafloffseason

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAY 25 WRAP

It's under 24 hours to go!! It's been a long 4 weeks, full of rumour and innuendo, and it all boils down to tomorrow! There are still a few deals that are yet to be sorted, which makes for a scintillating final day of trade, with a number of trades to go down to the wire!!

It's going to be a big edition tonight, so bare with me!

OFFICIAL TRADES TODAY;

DAVID RODAN TO MELBOURNE;
I don't know how this could possibly be a bad trade. Put simply, Rodan's pace and elusive skills will really add another dimension to Melbourne's midfield, and his explosiveness from the stoppages will help the dees move the ball faster, which should result in the ball going forward more often, giving the likes of Dawes and Clarke an opportunity to be one-out.

For pick 88, there is absolutely no way this is a bad trade!

Despite the fact Rodan will be 30 next year, he will add a wiser head, and another strong body to help out the younger guys. Big tick to Melbourne here.

LEWIS STEVENSON TO PORT ADELAIDE;
Another huge tick for Port Adelaide here. They got raided early on in free agency, and one of their brightest young players has requested a trade back to Melbourne, but Hinkley has come into the trade period like a bull in a china shop. The recruitment on Stevenson, a forgotten defender at West Coast is great recruiting. Stevenson was a standout player at WAFL level this season, and was an emergency for the Eagles 10 times this year.

Stevenson has done everything right and has been very impressive with his WAFL side Claremont, where he was part of their back-to-back premierships in the past two seasons and has been regarded as one of the best player in the WAFL for the past two seasons.

He'll slot straight into a defensive role for the Power, and with Jack Hombsch and Trengrove, the Power have sured up their back-line, and what's more impressive is that they've brought in young kids who fit their age bracket.

TOM YOUNG TO THE WESTERN BULLDOGS;
I'm a big fan of Tom Young, personally as a Collingwood supporter, I've seen him put together some good football in his limited opportunities in his football career to date. He's a confident player who will not hesitate to leave his man to crash a contest. He's a great overhead mark, and rolls off his man well to intercept kicks and push forward. Tommy Young is a good kick, but he can sometimes go to ground a bit too easy, which will disappear with more experience at senior level. For what it's worth, Youngy won the B&F

In his senior games at Collingwood, Tom Young was working at an 80% efficiency, and his line-ball attack at the man and the contest is an attribute that McCarthy adores, and that sort of mentality will fit perfectly into a young list rebuilding.

At 191cms, 91kgs and only 20 years old, Tommy "Gun" will be a great addition to the dogs moving forward after losing Lake.

JORDAN RUSSELL TO COLLINGWOOD;
Depending on where you sit, this is a good trade for the Pies, who have added depth to their back half by recruiting Jordan Russell. Russell twice finished top six in the Carlton best and fairest award - he was runner-up to Chris Judd in 2010 - and seemed destined for a long and distinguished career with the Blues, where he played 116 matches across eight seasons but only seven in 2012.

Taken at pick 9 in the 2004 draft, Collingwood supporters can look forward to Russelll playing as a half back flanker/winger where his versatility will be a factor. At 25 years old, you'd assume that his best football is still ahead of him.

The pies will on-trade pick 71 they received from sending Tom Young to the doggies to Carlton tomorrow morning.

This is a good get for the pies, who like the Bulldogs, Port, and Melbourne today have traded seemingly "nothing" for an established player. The pies have nothing to lose out of this whatsoever.

GREG BROUGHTON TO GOLD COAST;
Greg Broughton is a huge coup for the suns, who have added yet another experienced player to their list, to compliment Tom Murphy who signed with the suns last week. Broughton's best football for Fremantle in recent times has been when he has played as a hard-at-it midfielder, averaging 30 disposals across 5 games.

Broughton will be played as a sweeping half back, who is also able to dip into the midfield, and create a lot of drive off the flanks.

At 26 Broughton has played 68 games for the Dockers since making his debut in 2009 after being drafted to Fremantle as a mature age rookie in the 2009 Rookie Draft.

AARON EDWARDS TO RICHMOND
I really like this trade, too. Another late pick for an experienced player seems to be the flavour of the day!
It's understood that the Tigers will depart with pick 74 to North Melbourne in exchange for the out of favour high flying forward.

Edwards has played 82 AFL games to date, and has kicked 124 goals, and has been a key part of North Melbourne's line up for several years, however couldn't crack a senior game after the spanking the roos recieved from the Hawks.

Lachie Hansen, Drew Petrie and Robbie Tarrant all surpassed Edwards in 2012, forcing the forward to the VFL where he put in some impressive performances. He'll slot in very well at Richmond as that third tall, who is very crafty at ground level.

THE RUMOR MILL - DEALS STIL YET TO BE MADE;

STEFAN MARTIN
Although he successfully completed a fitness/medical test up at the GABBA yesterday, Brisbane have declared that they WILL NOT part ways with pick 33, suggesting that is overs for a pinch hitting ruckmen-come-forward.

This basically derails the Cam Pederson/Ben Jacobs deals that are awaiting to be locked away, as pick 33 would eventually end up in the hands of Port Adelaide.

I am however tipping this all to go ahead in the final hour of the trade! It will be interesting to watch how this all pans out, given two other players' futures are hanging on this trade.

CAM PEDERSON
As stated above, a decision on Pederson's future is still up in the air. North Melbourne won't let him go for anything less than a second round pick, which coincidently is what Melbourne do not have.

It could mean that Melbourne keep hold of Stefan Martin, and let Cam Pederson go through to the keeper.

North Melbourne are quite content on keeping him at Arden Street, with a source informing me that paperwork for a new contract for Pederson was drawn up last night, to remain a roo boy.

Watch this space.

BEN JACOBS
Nail biting stuff, especially since there is a bit of a rumour that Ben Jacobs had some unsavoury parting words to his now ex-team mates and incoming coach. For a kid who is still a pip-squeak in the big scheme of things, he hasn't done himself any favours, which could play part as to why a deal is yet to go through. There is a rumour that a "behavioural clause" will be included in his contract should he eventually get to North Melbourne.

There was some speculation that St Kilda made a play for Jacobs, but that doesn't seem to have much legs at all.

If Jacobs can't get a deal to North Melbourne, it's understood Port Adelaide will not have him back, and that he will go to the draft.

JORDAN GYSBERTS
A lot of speculation that Jordan Gysberts wouldn't be at Melbourne next year, especially since his name was thrown out into the trade tables early on in the trade period. It looks as though now that he will remain at the Dees, which is what I am tipping will happen.

He won't be going anywhere now, unless something drastically changes.

CALE MORTON
It was revealed last night that Morton had been flown to Perth to meet with Woosha and to undergo a fitness and medical test. From all reports he has passed, however he flew back this morning, and later this afternoon it was spoken of that Essendon are actually very interested in his services, and that he was meeting with Essendon officials this evening for a tour of the Essendon facilities.

West Coast have picks 41 and 44 in the second round, whilst the Bombers have pick 35, however it's been well documented that pick #35 would be reserved for a draft selection.

At this stage, i'm tipping Morton to return back to WA and sign with the Eagles for a deal worth peanuts, a good result for the Eagles if they pull it off with pick 41.

JAMIE CRIPPS
West Coast are being smart about this, they know Cripps has refused to play for Fremantle, and that he wants to return back to Perth, so really - West Coast aren't competing with anyone for his services. Put simply, they're backing Cripps to walk to the draft, where the Eagles will use their second round pick, pick 44 for his servies.

If you consider this, it means that for pick 41 and 44 that the Eagles have topped up with their midfield with potentially Cale Morton and Jamie Cripps. A top result if it happens.

JOSH TOY
Gold Coast still have a 1 year deal in front of Caddy, and have said that they will pick him up should he go to the draft or preseason draft. Regardless, clubs seem to have cooled their interest in Toy at the moment, and some sources believe that he won't get a deal done in time.

ESSENDON could secure a deal to get his services, after it was rumoured he toured the Windy Hill facilities a month ago.

WESTERN BULLDOGS are believed to be the front runners, but HAWTHORN can offer the Suns a pick and possibly STEPHAN GILHAM who had requested a trade to the suns last week.

KURT TIPPETT -
To be honest, i'm just so sick of hearing his name!! A part of me believes that he'll go to the draft, but I think Adelaide will cave and accept Jesse White and Pick 23.

Regardless, Adelaide have a lot more to be worried about rather than a trade at this moment.

JUST A THOUGHT;
Although I'm not 100% sure if this could be manufactured, is it worth Melbourne trading second round picks with North Melbourne to secure Cam Pederson?

Melbourne will be taking Jack Viney with their second round pick regardless, after fully committing to the father/son pick - but I wonder if they are still able to switch second round picks with another club?

Just a thought!

THE CONUNDRUM;
With Sydney's "extra living expenses" being reviewed next year, there is a bit of a conundrum looming.

If Sydney take Kurt Tippett, and contract him for $1 million per season as reported, and then the extra cap space is cut, what happens to Tippett's contract if he is promised $1 million a season?

Just some food for thought!

And that's it!!!