The 2012 AFL Trade, Free Agency, Draft and Off-Season Thread

Started by Tominator, August 24, 2012, 08:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

Tominator

Quote from: monstrum on October 09, 2012, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: monstrum on October 09, 2012, 03:37:25 PM
Quote from: Tominator on October 09, 2012, 12:21:38 PM
Gold Coast demanding two first round draft picks for Josh Caddy... Are they being the stingiest club ever?

Sheedy is well known for wanting alot and giving nothing in trades. Maybe theyre competing for the title!

;)

you made it hard to understand but I gotcha now haha  ;)

Justin Bieber

DAY 8 WRAP:

Rumours, Rumours and more rumours with a hint of action today is what we saw! I'm all for a bit of speculation, so let's start off today's wrap with the rumours doing the rounds from day 8.

CLINTON YOUNG -
It became known that Young had been given a "tour of the facilities" yesterday evening, sparking many to put two and two together and believe that Young would be linked to the pies as a free agent.

For those who care to dabble in speculation, a week ago, Quinten Lynch was given a tour of the facilities, before signing with the pies 2 days later as a free agent.

Coincidence?

DYLAN ROBERTON -
The 191cm rebounding defender from Fremantle has told the club he is on his way back home to Melbourne. Apparently a "Mad Collingwood" supporter growing up (All Collingwood supporters are mad, trust me!) He has been rumoured to have flagged Collingwood as the club he wants to play for. We haven't seen much of Robbo given he's only played 30 odd games for the dockers, but he can play tall or small which is why the pies might be inclined to look into him, given it's likely that Benny Johnson will retire at the end of 2013.

JOSH CADDY -
Another day, another story related to Caddy! The suns want not one, but two first round picks for him - and as thought, the Cats, Saints AND North have told them to get stuffed; rightfully so.

Apparently the Saints made an offer to the suns today, including their compo pick for losing Goddard, pick 24 and 34 for Caddy and Hickey, and in return, the suns told the saints to get knicked!

There are two things wrong with that. One being that how can the saints quite possibly try to trade a draft pick they are yet to be allocated, or, put more simply - that the AFL haven't even determined the formula for yet.

Secondly, either the suns are overrating their young kids, or just plane being pains in the backside, because they are being more difficult to come to an agreement with, than the fickle Richmond supporters who used to shower can Richo!

And for the record - he was a champion!

SCOTT GUMBLETON -
He's been cleared of any back injuries, and doctors have said that he is right to presume a full preseason! Firstly, I want to know from bombers' fans this;

Why would Essendon want to get rid of him now, after spending so many years being patient, and trying to get him right?

Beats me!

Nonetheless, Fremantle are belting down the door for his services, and Damian Barrett believes that a pick in the 20's will get the deal done.

LACHIE HANSEN -
He's not happy with the offer North have put in front of him, and as such his manager is shopping him around. The doggies are hunting for him, and they will drive a hard bargain to make him a Bulldog.

CHRIS DAWES -
Following on from the bulldogs, a very, very good source at the club has said that the dogs are offering the pies picks 41 and 47 which is early third round. The pies are looking to get picks 21 and 47, and like they did with Wellingham, they will drive the bargain until they get what they want.

If I were a bulldogs fan, I'd be pretty rapt with my club they secured Dawes, Hansen, Hunter + O'Rouke and Stringer in the draft - which is where abouts those two young lads will go.

BEN JACOBS -
St Kilda, Essendon and Richmond are chasing Port Adelaide defender Ben Jacobs who wants a go-home trade. Ken Hinkley hasn't been able to convince him to stay at the power, and now he's being courted by the above teams.

It'll be interesting to see what the clubs offer. Richmond I know have thrown Jayden Post on the table, but how much legs that has - I don't know.

STEPHAN GILHAM -
He's being looked at strongly by the suns, who are also looking at his team mate Murphy, too.

JORDAN GYSBERTS -
Has been spoken about at length this morning, with the belief he was headed to Geelong for their third pick. There has been some suggestion that Melbourne will dangle him in front of the likes of Collingwood and Essendon to make a play for one of either Scott Gumbleton or Chris Dawes.

KOBY STEVENS -
It's now a two-horse-race for the pacey West Coast midfielder. Essendon are looming large, but it's the dogs who might snare him. Expect a deal on Stevens to come in the next few days, now that Sharrod Wellingham is out of the way.

JORDAN RUSSEL -
He's Port Adelaide bound, with a deal to get done by the end of the week, which is what I'm eluded to.

HAMISH MCINTOSH -
He's a lock to get to Geelong, and new news on that front is that he'll get to the Cats for Geelong's second round pick - a big win their for the cats. He's still got plenty of upside.

KURT TIPPETT -
The only news to report is that Adelaide want either Heath Grundy, Lewis Jetta or Sam Reid. To borrow a line from "The Castle" ..... "TELL HIM HE'S DREAMING!"

CARLTON IN GENERAL -
You'd be rightfully pissed off to say the least if you're a blues fan. They're going into the draft with only 3 draft picks, and just the 1 rookie selection. Very, very boring. They won't be trading, and unless they come to an agreement for a "Straight Swap", I cannot see the blues landing Scott Gumbleton.

On another note, my SuperCoach team will be suffering next year with the delistment of Paul Bower! *Face Palm* ....

NORTH MELBOURNE IN GENERAL -
McKinley, Pederson and Edwards are being shopped around, as the roos try and find more money to satisfy Lachie Hansen. It's believed Pederson has attracted strong interest from the pies and the dees.

MELBOURNE IN GENERAL -
The dees are shopping around Cale Morton and Stefan Martin. Quite a strong rumour doing the rounds that the pies will trade Chris Dawes to the dees + a pick of some sort, in return of Martin and Gysberts.

TRADE NEWS;

MELBOURNE did a deal with the Giants this morning, that saw the dees send pick 3 and 13 to the Giants, in return for WA sensation Jesse Hogan, speedy wingman Dom Barry and pick 20. Not bad there!

Here is a bit of a speil on Dom Barry;

Barry, who moved from Northern Territory as a 16-year-old to board at St Patricks in Ballarat and play with North Ballarat Rebels, is an accurate left-footer with fine evasive skills and excellent pace. He also possesses good endurance, he also averaged 18 possessions whilst playing with the NT Thunder in the TAC Cup.

Need a sweetener? Dom Barry finished top 10 in repeat sprint, running vertical jump, kicking efficiency test, beep test and 3km run at the the combine!

TICK to Melbourne.

WEST COAST secured COLLINGWOOD's Sharrod Wellingham this afternoon, in a last minute Day 8 trade to see the silky Collingwood wingman sent back to Perth. He'll fit in perfectly to an already very good midfield outfit, and Wellingham's speed and finishing skills will be a welcome addition to the Eagles.

COLLINGWOOD did well to drive the Eagles to use their first round pick for him, and they got what they wanted. It means now that the pies have back-to-back picks in the first round of the draft, those picks being pick 17 and 18.

But just one thing I want to ask Eagles' Fans - Will you still be calling Wellingham a "Dog" now that he's joined West Coast? He got slaughtered for his crude hit on Simpson, but now that he's one of you, he's an angel, right?

Sorry had to say it! Most Collingwood supporters get judged a little more harshly because of the jumper they wear, and we all give it to them more often than not, but it's a little ironic that as soon as they're out of the black and white stripes, we all of a sudden sing their praises again!

UPDATE ON THE DRAFT ORDER IN THE FIRST ROUND;

1: GWS
2: GWS
3: GWS
4: MEL
5: WBD
6: WBD
7: PTA
8: BRI
9: RICH
10: ESS
11: CAR
12: GWS
13: GWS
14: NTM
15: GEE
16: FREE
17: COLL
18: COLL
19: ADE
20: MEL
21: WBD
22: SYD
23: BRI

I'd love to give you my phantom draft right now, but that bad boy is coming in the new few weeks, once trade and free agency is over! I promise it'll be a corker!

Don't forget, if you're on twitter, you can follow me on

@theafloffseason

And that's a wrap!!

Justin Bieber

monstrum

Quote from: whatlez on October 09, 2012, 08:29:21 PM
^ That is what happened today.

Nice work man, dont like the reports on the kangaz though :(

Losing out on the hamish deal, and Hansen dosnt need more money, he needs to learn how to kick!

My Chumps

Justin Bieber

That wasn't me by the way lol :P

I just copyed it from a Facebook Page which is super when it comes to this.

My Chumps

Yeah I figured, it was written way too fluently to be you  :P

T Dog

Nice work Whatto....loving an active Collingwood in the mix..Pederson, Stef Martin, Gysberts, 2 first rd picks...go Eddie go Eddie  go go go.. ;D

tbagrocks

When was the last time a team traded to get picks 1,2,3? It hasn't happened but to make it worse! They didn't lose anything ??? My opinion is GWS should hand back the licence and Demetriou should resign immediately

gossiboy

Jon Ralph raises a good point that while all the hype is about GWS and having 1, 2,3 the GC midfield of Ablett, Swallow, Prestia, Bennell, O'Meara and Jack Martin is shaping up too badly.

Obviously Ablett only has about 4 years left in him those other guys are good enough by themselves to be an A-grade midfield. Still think GWS have better key position players than GC and are in a better position overall but don't ignore the Gold Coast midfield.

Tominator

Quote from: gossiboy on October 09, 2012, 09:49:58 PM
Jon Ralph raises a good point that while all the hype is about GWS and having 1, 2,3 the GC midfield of Ablett, Swallow, Prestia, Bennell, O'Meara and Jack Martin is shaping up too badly.

Obviously Ablett only has about 4 years left in him those other guys are good enough by themselves to be an A-grade midfield. Still think GWS have better key position players than GC and are in a better position overall but don't ignore the Gold Coast midfield.

* isn't ;)

That's true, they may be minnows now but in a few years they will be frighteningly good...

GWS have a pretty good midfield too though, I mean look at guys like Shiel, Coniglio, Greene, Treloar, plus likely draft picks Whitfield and Toumpas, with Grundy in the ruck. Oh yeah and not to forget Ward, Palmer and Scully  ::)

Justin Bieber

GWS will be on the bottom for 5 years just because there oldest player would be 23 at 2016 lol.

Tominator

Lewis Jetta spotted in Adelaide tonight... Read into that what you will

Boomz