WXV Preliminary Finals - Pumas, Cobras, Suns, Armadillos

Started by ossie85, August 21, 2012, 02:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

Who can stop the Mighty Pumas?

Cans the Suns live up to its preseason hype?

Will the Cobra midfield tear up the field?

Can the fairy tale continue for the Armadillos?

Preliminary Finals

Home Team   Score      Score   Away Team   Location

Sao Paulo Pumas   0.0.0  v.  0.0.0   Mexico City Suns   Estádio do Pumas
Cape Town Cobras   0.0.0  v.  0.0.0   Buenos Aires Armadillos   Newlands Cricket Ground

PUMAS V SUNS

Many thought this game would be the Grand Final, but it was not to be. The Pumas are clearly the best in the competition, but it is noted that Mexico City have outscored the Pumas on 6 different times this season, however not once since Round 12. The Pumas have been pounding out massive scores, led largely by superstar Gary Ablett, but we should not forget All-Worlds representative Beau Waters, surprise packet Rory Sloane, terrific forward Jarryd Roughead, ruck Sam Jacobs and qualifying final hero Matthew Wright.

The Suns have taken a different kind of pounding - on the injury front - but this is to be expected from an old team. Players to have missed significant games include Aaron Sandilands, Nathan Foley, Adam Goodes, Jarrad Waite, Luke Hodge, Alan Didak, Mark LeCras and Mark Nicoski. Unfortunately Foley, LeCras and Nicoski will miss again this week, Nick Riewoldt is under question, but the others are back on the park, and looking for a place in the first ever Grand Final. The Pumas also have concerns with Cross, Hartlett and Zaharakis.

Last time - Round 8:

Sao Paulo Pumas (23.16.154) defeated Mexico City Suns (21.15.141)

Best
Sao Paulo: G Ablett, B Waters, D Cross, D Zaharakis, R Sloane, S Jacobs, M Wallis
Mexico City: I Maric, N Riewoldt, B Goddard, J Bartel, P Chapman, N Foley, A Sandilands

Late Changes
Sao Paulo: Nil
Mexico City: Nil

Solid outing by the Suns, but if Ablett fires, the Pumas are hard to beat.

COBRAS V ARMADILLOS

I know we've harped on this many times before, but the 4-pronged midfield of Cape Town is incredibly hard to chase down. In the 71 matches Jobe Watson, Joel Selwood, Josh P Kennedy and Trent Cotchin have played, only 9 times have they scored under 100. We also shouldn't undersell the recent form of Ryan O'Keefe, Tom Hawkins and Jack Grimes. The Cobras stunned the Suns in the first week of the finals, and look determined to make a run for it. Ruck is in trouble though, with Zac Smith injured.

Two words for the Armadillos - Dane Swan.  Swan and Matthew Boyd are the only players at the Armadillos averaging over 100 (though All-Worlds player Heath Scotland is only just behind), and Swan's 233.81 average contribution to the Armadillos is hard to overlook. However, the Armadillos were very impressive last week without him, and the Cornes brothers are in good form, as is Shannon Hurn. The form of Mitch Robinson is troubling.

Last time they met, both sides had off days. Swan was absent, and the superstar Cobra midfield were all named in the best, yet the Armadillos took it right up to the Cobras.

Last time - Round 10

Buenos Aires Armadillos (20.9.129) lost to Cape Town Cobras (20.11.131)

Best
Buenos Aires: K Cornes, R Warnock, M Boyd
Cape Town: J Watson, T Cotchin, J Selwood, J Grimes, JP Kennedy, G Broughton

Late Changes
Buenos Aires: Nil
Cape Town: E Curnow replaced Z Smith

CrowsFan

The Pumas are fresh after a week off but know they need to be on top of their game to get over the more experienced Suns. Everyone in Brazil is looking forward to the weekends match!

Out of curiosity Ossie where is the grand final going to be held since there is no HGA? At the MCG to bring a game back to Australia?

ossie85

Quote from: CrowsFan on August 21, 2012, 03:18:01 PM
The Pumas are fresh after a week off but know they need to be on top of their game to get over the more experienced Suns. Everyone in Brazil is looking forward to the weekends match!

Out of curiosity Ossie where is the grand final going to be held since there is no HGA? At the MCG to bring a game back to Australia?

Exactly CrowsFan :) MCG booked well in advance

CrowsFan

Realising just how important the match against the Suns will be the Pumas have decided to fight Minson's 1 match ban in the hope it will be overturned so he can help support Jacobs in the ruck battle against Sandilands. We realise if we don't get it overruled Minson will miss not only the match against the Suns, but also the grand final if we make it, but we are confident we will see him lining up this week in a Pumas jersey :)

My Chumps

Uphill battle with Smith out once again, and for the rest of the season   :(

Maca24

meow meow

Quote from: Maca24 on August 21, 2012, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: CrowsFan on August 21, 2012, 08:04:47 PM
Minson free to play!! :D :D
thats rubbish  ::)

He's an innocent man! The stomping on his leg was an accident. It's funny that nobody mentions how Mr Jack ended up on the ground in the first place.

CrowsFan

Quote from: meow meow on August 22, 2012, 12:20:55 AM
Quote from: Maca24 on August 21, 2012, 11:38:31 PM
Quote from: CrowsFan on August 21, 2012, 08:04:47 PM
Minson free to play!! :D :D
thats rubbish  ::)

He's an innocent man! The stomping on his leg was an accident. It's funny that nobody mentions how Mr Jack ended up on the ground in the first place.
They did actually. That was also looked at by the MRP but decided it did not warrant any points so was thrown out. Minson then said when he stomped on Jack he was checking to see he was ok after hitting him haha

Maca24

MEXICO CITY SUNS

Backs: B.Goddard, S.Gilbert, S.Burgoyne, M.Firrito
Mids: L.Hodge, J.Bartel, B.McLean, B.Ebert
Frwds: P.Chapman, A.Goodes, J.Lewis, J.Waite
Ruck: I.Maric
Bench: A.Sandilands, M.White
Emergencies: J.Sellar, A.Didak, G.Ibbotson

Captain: Ivan Maric
Vice: Brock McLean

CrowsFan

Very strong looking team maca. Just have to hope some of your big guns have an off day like they are capable of doing, i.e Goodes...

Maca24

Quote from: CrowsFan on August 23, 2012, 12:31:46 PM
Very strong looking team maca. Just have to hope some of your big guns have an off day like they are capable of doing, i.e Goodes...
It's not that strong CF! :P Nick Riewoldt would be great to have, but I think he is unlikely to play?  ???

I am really just relying on Ablett to score less than 125 to stand a chance.

ossie85

Ablett has done that for a while Maca! Though he is due, not that it really matters, but is playing Carlton at home.

Maca24

Quote from: ossie85 on August 23, 2012, 01:39:19 PM

Ablett has done that for a while Maca! Though he is due, not that it really matters, but is playing Carlton at home.
It's a hard one, I guess having an early pick in the draft was a huge advantage! :P
I think I had a later pick, but that also means I should have better depth. But I lack a permanent captain  :(

ossie85

Quote from: Maca24 on August 23, 2012, 01:42:01 PM
Quote from: ossie85 on August 23, 2012, 01:39:19 PM

It's a hard one, I guess having an early pick in the draft was a huge advantage! :P
I think I had a later pick, but that also means I should have better depth. But I lack a permanent captain  :(

Share your pain Maca

... wait I don't! You're still in it and I'm not lol