Did GWS get a bigger headstart than the Gold Coast?

Started by Jroo, August 16, 2012, 03:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jroo

Does anyone agree with me and think that GWS has been given a bigger head start by the AFL than the Gold Coast? They had 2 years to sign uncontracted players from other teams while Gold Coast only got one year. GWS had access to trade 17 year old players to other teams which got them back picks 4,10 and 2 1st round compo picks while Gold Coast had no access to trade 17 year olds. Do use reckon that GWS where given a bigger head start?

Tyes

Yeah I'd agree. Although I think it should be noted the GWS have (at this very early stage) appeared to draft a lot better than GC.  The AFL always wanted to make a big impact in Western Sydney.

Justin Bieber

Jroo

Quote from: Tyes on August 16, 2012, 05:04:04 PM
Yeah I'd agree. Although I think it should be noted the GWS have (at this very early stage) appeared to draft a lot better than GC.  The AFL always wanted to make a big impact in Western Sydney.
Yer I like the looks of Cameron, Patton, Greene, Congilio, Shiel and Bugg while the Suns youngsters haven't shown as much Day, Lynch, Tape, Toy and Dixon while McKenzie, Smith and Matera where good last year but disappointing this year

BB67th

GWS definitely drafted better but also have much better coaching staff. The combination of Sheedy and Williams at the top has worked great.

Justin Bieber

I would like to see how GWS go next year though.

If GC 2nd year players struggled, I wonder how GWS goes and with moving on of Brogan, McDonald and Power.

Ringo

Quote from: whatlez on August 16, 2012, 06:33:30 PM
I would like to see how GWS go next year though.

If GC 2nd year players struggled, I wonder how GWS goes and with moving on of Brogan, McDonald and Power.
Agree here.  2nd year will be the test for GWS Players as well.  A number of GCS players were very good in first year but did not kick on as expected in second year, Trent MacKenzie would be the typical example.

EZA100

GWS definitly drafted better getting players that have shown more in 20 games then the GC players have shown in nearly 2 seasons, by that im refering to: shiel, coniglio, cameron, giles, hampton and bugg. GWS have also got better senior players like power, brogan, ward and scully which i think or more better than campbell, brennan and harbrow. But yeh GWS did get a bigger headstart, they even got to play in the nab cup last season which was a headstart