Main Menu

Are we genuine premiership contenders??

Started by Hagebear, August 16, 2012, 09:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagebear

Just getting a gauge on everyone's thoughts. Can we really match the likes of Collingwood and Hawthorn come September??

tommygun

err, yes?  Quality backline, awesome centre (better than Hawks - that's their weakness), quality forwards (better than Collingwoods - that's the pies weakness).
Crowqs - Underrated but quality.
Only problem is won't be match hardened like the other teams with a couple of soft teams at the end of the minor round.  Could be good though, rotate some players around Geelong style (Sando will know what to do).  Remember when Port beat Geelong in the last match of the season 2007?  They were spent getting to the minor premiers, got flogged by GF day.
Just sayin'.

Holz

in my opinion sydeny and adeliade wont be able to compete with the vic teams once the finals start, im not sure if adelaide can lift their game for finals footy. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Ziplock

I think sydney will demonstrate to be competitive come finals. Adelaide... I'm not sure. I don't think personally they'll match up against the pies, hawks or sydney that well.

Colliwobblers

short answer = no

just scraped over the line in a couple of games against middle of the road sides.

come up against the hawks cats or pies in Melbourne when they are on and there will not be any "scraping over the line".

that said the crows at their best are close to a match for the very best sides.

but then there is the finals intensity and the Melbourne factors.

CrowsFan

Quote from: Colliwobblers on August 16, 2012, 07:52:44 PM
short answer = no

just scraped over the line in a couple of games against middle of the road sides.

come up against the hawks cats or pies in Melbourne when they are on and there will not be any "scraping over the line".

Considering they will have 2 home finals the Melbourne factor shouldn't be a problem until the GF if they make it ;)

lachie_001

Every team in the top 6 are qenuine contenders, some are in better positions than others but in the end the winner is going to be who ever bring there best footy for each game

c4v3m4n

Quote from: lachie_001 on August 16, 2012, 09:38:22 PM
Every team in the top 6 are qenuine contenders, some are in better positions than others but in the end the winner is going to be who ever bring there best footy for each game

North Melbourne a genuine contender?  ???

Colliwobblers

Quote from: CrowsFan on August 16, 2012, 07:54:16 PM
Quote from: Colliwobblers on August 16, 2012, 07:52:44 PM
short answer = no

Considering they will have 2 home finals the Melbourne factor shouldn't be a problem until the GF if they make it ;)

yes true, but the question was "premiership contenders".

I think they are a great side don't get me wrong, but a young side from Adelaide in a GF in Melbourne against one of 3 teams who have very senior lists and have played a LOT of finals over recent years....

will be a HUGE ask.

I wish them well if the Pies don't win I'd rather it was the Crows than the Cats!

Your best chance is meeting us in the GF..... we wobble  ::)

lachie_001

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 16, 2012, 09:41:54 PM
Quote from: lachie_001 on August 16, 2012, 09:38:22 PM

North Melbourne a genuine contender?  ???

I mean whoever finishes in the top 6 at the end of the home and away season which unfortunately for north melbourne will probably be geelong. Regardless of a senior list, more than half our best 22 have played finals. We've only had a 2 years finals drought, before that we were in finals nearly every year.

tbagrocks

I see the Crows much like West Coast last year, history says they might fall just before the summit,

who said North aren't contenders ::) they're flying

Justin Bieber

Comment just so I can see how this discussions goes.

lachie_001

Quote from: tbagrocks on August 16, 2012, 10:16:30 PM
I see the Crows much like West Coast last year, history says they might fall just before the summit,

who said North aren't contenders ::) they're flying
Don't think they are quite there this year, maybe next. Collingwood vs north should tell where they are really at for the flag.

Jay

No not premiership contendors but could very well make the GF

lachie_001

Quote from: Jayman on August 16, 2012, 11:30:57 PM
No not premiership contendors but could very well make the GF
How can you make the grand final but not be a contender?