Main Menu

Favourite 2012 Olympic moment?

Started by quinny88, August 13, 2012, 01:05:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinny88

Unfortunately the Aussie glory was minimal but my favourite Aussie moment was Sally Pearson winning the Gold in the 100m hurdles.

Favourite moment all up though has to go to be the Jamiacan world record in the 4X100 relay. Amazing effort from some incredible athletes!

Imagine Usain Bolt on the footy field!

tbagrocks

Anna meares and her medal presentation, then a few hours later Sally made her dream come true

Cicjose

Its got to be Anna Meares  :-*

my favourite athlete from these games and a genuine superstar of our latest campaign

c4v3m4n

For me it has to be the Saudi Arabian female competitors Sarah Attar and Wojdan Shaherkani.

Prior to these games, Saudi Arabia sent male-only teams. Women were not allowed to represent Saudi Arabia until this year.

Sarah Attar represented SA in the women's 800m and Wojdan Shaherkani competed in the women's judo.

Now Sarah Attar isn't a fantastic athlete and in her only heat she finished 30 secs behind her nearest competitor. But nonetheless was happy to just be at the games representing her country.

Wojdan Shaherkani, represented SA in judo, at the age of 16! :o She's only got her blue belt (which is the 3rd highest belt you can achieve) and has only been practising for less than two years. Like Attar, she was just happy to representing her country in a sport she loves to play.

Its moments like these that I really enjoy, as that is what the Olympics are all about. :)

tbagrocks

Pity about the environment they have to go back to!

Ringo

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 13, 2012, 02:51:30 AM
For me it has to be the Saudi Arabian female competitors Sarah Attar and Wojdan Shaherkani.

Prior to these games, Saudi Arabia sent male-only teams. Women were not allowed to represent Saudi Arabia until this year.

Sarah Attar represented SA in the women's 800m and Wojdan Shaherkani competed in the women's judo.

Now Sarah Attar isn't a fantastic athlete and in her only heat she finished 30 secs behind her nearest competitor. But nonetheless was happy to just be at the games representing her country.

Wojdan Shaherkani, represented SA in judo, at the age of 16! :o She's only got her blue belt (which is the 3rd highest belt you can achieve) and has only been practising for less than two years. Like Attar, she was just happy to representing her country in a sport she loves to play.

Its moments like these that I really enjoy, as that is what the Olympics are all about. :)
Well said C4 - First Olympics where we also had women competing from all countries.

You can also add the Athletes competing under th Olympic flag due to strife in home countries.

For me there were a number of exciting moments but for me the most exciting would have been the finish of the Womens Triathlon being so close after nearly 2 hours of racing.

Tominator

Quote from: c4v3m4n on August 13, 2012, 02:51:30 AM

+1

T Dog

Toatally agree with above.
I did think James Brayshaws rowing commentary and Michael Slaters diving commentary ( or cheering if you prefer) was ....um.....worth watching out for...They will be a lasting non sporting highlight of the games  for me... ;D

Jukes

Team GB coming third in the medal tally :D

Windigo

That Stmbolvoa chick....She actually Stumbledover.  8)

BB67th

My favourite moment was probably Sally getting gold for Australia. On the flip side I was so disappointed when South Africa didn't finish in the 4x100m relay and the runner with the blades for legs (can't remember his name) wasn't able to run for his country. Shattered for him.

Cicjose

Quote from: BB67th on August 13, 2012, 06:47:12 PM
My favourite moment was probably Sally getting gold for Australia. On the flip side I was so disappointed when South Africa didn't finish in the 4x100m relay and the runner with the blades for legs (can't remember his name) wasn't able to run for his country. Shattered for him.

Oscar Pistorius

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Cicjose on August 13, 2012, 06:51:28 PM
Quote from: BB67th on August 13, 2012, 06:47:12 PM

Oscar Pistorius

But he did run...

...the South African's protested, and were allowed to compete in the final. They then finished 8th. Link.

He also ran in the 400m individual sprint but was knocked out in the semi finals.

But yeah, he is another fantastically inspirational story.

c4v3m4n

Another amazing Olympic story that I just found...

US relay runner Manteo Mitchell ran half his 400m lap with a broken leg.  :o :o

That's insane.

Ringo

Yet another story I have come across as well as I missed the Womens Marathon.

Australian Marathon Runner Benita Willis ran the whole marathon struggling with a hip tendon tear.  Who said women are soft.  Wish all our athletes had this determination.