Main Menu

First AFL Game

Started by Spinking, July 27, 2012, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spinking

Today I bought tickets for Saints v Pies next weekend, for what will be footy mad 7 year old son's first AFL match. He was so excited that it reminded me of my first footy match 25 odd years ago.

I think it was still the VFL back then and it was an Elimination Final between the Demons and the Roos. Big win for the Dees. I remember being so awe struck by the G and the amount of people there, the roar of the crowd etc. Back then you could still kick the footy on the ground after the game, and people would throw rubbish and streamers out onto the ground when a goal was kicked. so different to today!!!

What was your first AFL game?

LF

I think it was West Coast v Sydney at Subi way back in 1996 or 1997 can`t remember exact year
A lady i use to work with was(and still is)an eagles memeber and couldn`t use her tickets so she gave them to us.

quinny88

I dont remember my first game as my old man started taking me along to watch the tiges when I was about 3 years old but the furthest back game I do remember was the Semi final 1995, Richmond vs Essendon at the MCG when Richmond came from behind to win. Still remember the game like it was yesterday despite the fact I was only about 6 years old.. Unfortuanly I also clearly remember the belting we copped from Geelong in the prelim the week after

Ziplock

Sydney vs GWS 2012.

lol :P

PowerBug

Crows vs Bulldogs at AAMI. Sat near the crows supporters with a very 'vocal' Doggies fan nearby. I think i was only 6-7 at the time.

My 2nd game was WB vs port at Telstra Dome. :D Got to see the roof clse at half time. :)

Holz

I was at the 1991 grand final. I was 1 at the time, can safely say i don't remember that game.

Torpedo10

Quote from: PowerBug on July 27, 2012, 06:33:51 PM
Crows vs Bulldogs at AAMI. Sat near the crows supporters with a very 'vocal' Doggies fan nearby. I think i was only 6-7 at the time.

My 2nd game was WB vs port at Telstra Dome. :D Got to see the roof clse at half time. :)
My first game was Essendon V Adelaide at Telstra Dome(It's name back then). Adelaide came from 10 points behind at 3QT to win by 17 points.   :'( heartbreaking. 2nd game the same year was Richmond V Essendon at the MCG back when Richmond were at the bottom of the ladder. Yet again Richmond came from behind to win by 5 points.  :-\ :'( The only highlight of that match was watching Ben Cousins play. he was amazing! James Hird type qualities, could read where the ball was and was there to get it and pass it to a teamate. My 3rd match was the year after my 1st and 2nd match. The last round of the season Essendon V Hawthorn. Went with a Hawthorn+MCC member so was very close to the bench on the Wing. I saw Lloydy's last game and saw his hit on Sewell. Luckily Essendon won this time.  :P made up for the other 2 times. Haven't been back to the footy since.

roo boys!

Like quinny I don't remember my very first but can remember going along regularly with Allen Aylett when he was president at North (our families are fairly close) and that's what made me become a North supporter. I was between the ages of 5-7 I think when he was president. I went to matches before I was 5 but obviously can't remember them!

Colliwobblers

collingwood vs the Brisbane Bears (no not lions) at Carrara a long long time ago :)

Tominator

it was Hawthorn v North Melbourne at the MCG in 2001 or something... I was barely 5 years old and I wanted to leave halfway through the third quarter hahahaha.

From that day on I was a Hawthorn supporter simply because they won (so I thought they were the best team in the land). That was until I converted to Adelaide when I started school and all my friends followed the Crows  8)

elephants

West Coast vs Adelaide

Coxy's 100th game.

I can't remember if it was a final, h&a, pre-season match or even the result... I was too young hahaha!

Master Q

Have no idea was very young,..

I usually go to around 5-7 games a year but this year I've been to about 3  :(

T Dog

Not sure when..but a train trip to Victoria Park,,standing on cans with a feral cauldron of seething magpie fans who were drinking full strength cans..lol... :o ::) :-[ :-\ ;) no long term effects tho.. :( :) ;) :-[ 8) :'( :'(

Windigo

Only ever been to one AFL game.

Remember it well for Gehrig lost his nut and smashed a tigers player.  :P

Kellogscrunchynut

The year was 2001 I was 7 years of age watching my beloved Tigers smash a poor West Coast outfit in one of the later rounds of the season, their last finals making year.