Main Menu

First AFL Game

Started by Spinking, July 27, 2012, 06:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LF

Was also at the West Coast v Lions game at Subi the year the Lions were on like a 28 game or something like that winning streak and we beat them was an awesome game to watch and was the first time my brother-in-law had been to an AFL game.

PowerBug

Quote from: PowerBug on July 27, 2012, 06:33:51 PM
Crows vs Bulldogs at AAMI. Sat near the crows supporters with a very 'vocal' Doggies fan nearby. I think i was only 6-7 at the time.

My 2nd game was WB vs port at Telstra Dome. :D Got to see the roof clse at half time. :)
Oh yes, and i haven't mentioned it on here before, but i used to be a crows supporter, until about 6-7yo.

Capper

Round 10, 1987. Sydney Swans v North Melbourne @ SCG for my 8th birthday.

Capper kicked 7 and the swans lost by 9 i think

BB67th

Quote from: Torpedo10 on July 27, 2012, 06:44:03 PM
Crows vs Bulldogs at AAMI. Sat near the crows supporters with a very 'vocal' Doggies fan nearby. I think i was only 6-7 at the time.

My 2nd game was WB vs port at Telstra Dome. :D Got to see the roof clse at half time. :)
My first game was Essendon V Adelaide at Telstra Dome(It's name back then). Adelaide came from 10 points behind at 3QT to win by 17 points.   :'( heartbreaking. 2nd game the same year was Richmond V Essendon at the MCG back when Richmond were at the bottom of the ladder. Yet again Richmond came from behind to win by 5 points.  :-\ :'( The only highlight of that match was watching Ben Cousins play. he was amazing! James Hird type qualities, could read where the ball was and was there to get it and pass it to a teamate. My 3rd match was the year after my 1st and 2nd match. The last round of the season Essendon V Hawthorn. Went with a Hawthorn+MCC member so was very close to the bench on the Wing. I saw Lloydy's last game and saw his hit on Sewell. Luckily Essendon won this time.  :P made up for the other 2 times. Haven't been back to the footy since.
You know that game where Lloyd took out Sewell was the one that got me first into football. The intensity in that match was amazing and the scrap after Sewell went down was one of the best I've seen.

fidou

Being brought up in Tassie I saw plenty of local footy but my first trip to Melbourne to see VFL/AFL was for the 1981 Grand Final Carlton vs Collingwood.  Caught a flight over on Friday arvo and we started drinking then. Well it just kept going on and on and on until we realised it was 8 am saturday morning and still no sleep. Well off to Myers got my carlton scarf and cap and at the MCG by 9 to watch the U19 GF. Unbelievably still drinking. Well the last memory I had was about half time in the reserves grand final. The next thing I know its midnight and I wake up in my hotel room in St Kilda!!!!!   What to do still stunned ....... I ring reception and ask who won the Grand Final!!!!!

I still have'nt been to a grand final again but I am returning to the Gee for the first time since in August for the Car v Ess match. This time I'm not young and stupid and will watch the match.

Torpedo10

Quote from: BB67th on July 30, 2012, 05:16:13 PM
Quote from: Torpedo10 on July 27, 2012, 06:44:03 PM

My first game was Essendon V Adelaide at Telstra Dome(It's name back then). Adelaide came from 10 points behind at 3QT to win by 17 points.   :'( heartbreaking. 2nd game the same year was Richmond V Essendon at the MCG back when Richmond were at the bottom of the ladder. Yet again Richmond came from behind to win by 5 points.  :-\ :'( The only highlight of that match was watching Ben Cousins play. he was amazing! James Hird type qualities, could read where the ball was and was there to get it and pass it to a teamate. My 3rd match was the year after my 1st and 2nd match. The last round of the season Essendon V Hawthorn. Went with a Hawthorn+MCC member so was very close to the bench on the Wing. I saw Lloydy's last game and saw his hit on Sewell. Luckily Essendon won this time.  :P made up for the other 2 times. Haven't been back to the footy since.
You know that game where Lloyd took out Sewell was the one that got me first into football. The intensity in that match was amazing and the scrap after Sewell went down was one of the best I've seen.
Was pretty intense at the G'

Purple 77

Quote from: Spinking on July 27, 2012, 06:03:12 PM
Today I bought tickets for Saints v Pies next weekend, for what will be footy mad 7 year old son's first AFL match. He was so excited that it reminded me of my first footy match 25 odd years ago.

I think it was still the VFL back then and it was an Elimination Final between the Demons and the Roos. Big win for the Dees. I remember being so awe struck by the G and the amount of people there, the roar of the crowd etc. Back then you could still kick the footy on the ground after the game, and people would throw rubbish and streamers out onto the ground when a goal was kicked. so different to today!!!

What was your first AFL game?

Let me get this straight....... the Demons......... actually won a game?

Sorry, still a bit bitter with my demons lol.

My first and only game was a Eagles and Hawks match in Aurora Stadium (York Park back then) about 8 or so years ago.

I live in Tassie and my friend has put me off the hawks for life, so there isn't many games I like to watch lol. I would have went to hobart for the Roos and Eagles game, but it is a 5-6 hour drive  :-\

Jukes

Apart from WAFL games (went to the 96 grannie when I was a few months old...my Claremont won :D) the first I can remember would be over in Melbourne in 2004 when Hirdy kicked the goal from the boundary to win the game against the scum :D

KoopKicka

I had a late intro to live footy. My first was the thrilling 2007 qualifying final between the Power and the Eagles, despite getting a very unfair share of the umpire pie, somehow we hung on by 3 points from a roaring Eagles charge, will never forget it. :)

Tominator

Quote from: Jukes on July 30, 2012, 11:14:06 PM
Apart from WAFL games (went to the 96 grannie when I was a few months old...my Claremont won :D) the first I can remember would be over in Melbourne in 2004 when Hirdy kicked the goal from the boundary to win the game against the scum :D

were you the guy who he hugged in the crowd? haha ;) seemed pretty happy

McRooster

As many of you know I played SANFL, I played with some AFL greats, I remember many finals as a player and supporter, but none were more memorable than my lad in his very first game, on AAMI stadium in an Auskick match. He didn't get a touch, hugged the goal posts a few times and still, 5 years later, he reminds me "at least I played on AAMI Stadium Dad"

Happy Birthday son, I love you mate.

My son is 10 today  8)

Tominator

Quote from: McRooster on July 31, 2012, 02:29:22 AM
As many of you know I played SANFL, I played with some AFL greats, I remember many finals as a player and supporter, but none were more memorable than my lad in his very first game, on AAMI stadium in an Auskick match. He didn't get a touch, hugged the goal posts a few times and still, 5 years later, he reminds me "at least I played on AAMI Stadium Dad"

Happy Birthday son, I love you mate.

My son is 10 today  8)

really?? what club are you from? North I'm guessing ?

Spite

My first game I went to was at Victoria Park...no idea who was playing, (something tells me it was Collingwood vs Richmond, so some idea i guess) but I remember that it was very very cold. :)