Main Menu

Umpiring

Started by AFEV, July 20, 2012, 10:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFEV

I know this thread has been made before, but after watching the first half of tonights game I can't resist making it again.

Whoever is umpiring tonight is irrefutably inept, and honestly it is a shame this person has made his way into the AFLs umpiring ranks.

There have been the usual mess ups, dropping the ball, one handed handballs - All seemingly legitimate means of disposal.

But tonight, the umpires seem to be extra confused.

Things like Hawkins trying to take a ride on his own team mate and getting a free, Jetta not getting a down field free after being dumped after disposal, Fletch throwing the ball away and getting a free for in the back...I just don't even know what's going on any more.

At one stage Geelong had double the amount of frees for, which without blatant 'dirty' play seems to be a larger than desirable difference.

As much as umpires cop a lot of shower in every sport, it feels like it is out of hand in the AFL. The majority of them seem totally clueless.

Action needs to be taken by the AFL at the conclusion of the season (or if possible, sooner) because I know that I for one don't really want to put up with this again in 2013.

pyronerd

you make a good point, I also noticed a Jobe throw not called, and a Jobe handball called dropping the ball

I honestly cannot say I've watched an AFL match this season where the umpiring has been good :-X

Spinking

Was pretty ordinary in Q2. 3 very soft frees in a row to the Cats result in a goal. Hate when the umpires have an influence like that.