Main Menu

Umpiring tonight

Started by essendon2, July 13, 2012, 10:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

wonder if any West Coast supporters have commented on this thread...  ::)

yeah but it's terrible everywhere, not just at Patersons, I didn't notice anything which I'd call unusual tonight because what we saw tonight is now common place in the AFL. Simply baffling.

Gieschen and co. should get the chop if they don't change the Holding The Ball rule amongst others

caluuum

It was shocking but it went both ways... North even ended up with less frees for so I can't see how it was in any way favouring them
There were at least 2/3 decisions that were terrible, but for both teams

Mat0369

Quote from: unceramonius on July 14, 2012, 12:34:17 AM
Sssssssssshhhhhhhh dont mention west coast.  Dont mention how they get favoured every single damn week.

Also dont mention how it seems like glass has to commit murder before they call for all the thug holding he does contest after contest.  Zac Dawson would be a star too....if he got away with just half of what glass does.

North were robbed last week. How can that not be a free against glass at the end, riding the back? When in the same game, same quarter..a mere tap awards darling a goal.

Oh sorry forgot.....sshhhhhh .dont mention it
It was not a free. Their legs tangled causing Thomas to fall over. It was the right call.

Quote from: EZA100 on July 13, 2012, 11:43:15 PM
it didn't change the result of carlton getting smashed but the umpiring has been very bad umpires don't know what dropping the ball is anymore.
Agreed. In terms of just Carlton games I have lost count of how many times Garlett or Betts has run someone down and they have either just plain dropped the ball or illegally disposed of the ball with no free being payed.

Quote from: essendon2 on July 13, 2012, 11:49:34 PM
yeah it was, but didn't affect the next piece of play.
each carlton FA affected play and ended up being a coast to coast goal and that happened 3-4 times right when Carlton were coming back with a shot.
you guys are saying it didn't affect the result, it probably didn't, but it did affect the momentum of the game. it could have been a 20 point game...

but North did deserve to win, credit to them anyway

The Petrie one where Henderson spoiled the ball legally and he was given a free in front of goal was the big momentum killer. Judd had just kicked back to back goals and Carlton were on a roll. It killed all their momentum. North outplayed them on the counter attack all night and kicked straight which won them the game. Carlton looked to be dominating the clearances early in that second quarter, but kept missing shots on goal which North would pretty much go coast to coast and score from.

Ziplock

yeah there were some horrific calls tonight. My (favourite?) was the one where one of norths players was called holding the ball, when he'd handpassed it legitimately like a second before he got tackled :S

disco1992

Quote from: Ziplock on July 14, 2012, 03:34:44 AM
yeah there were some horrific calls tonight. My (favourite?) was the one where one of norths players was called holding the ball, when he'd handpassed it legitimately like a second before he got tackled :S
+1
And I liked the commitment of the umpire to right his wrong backing into a carrazzo lead only 30 secs later :)

Cicjose

Quote from: Mat0369 on July 14, 2012, 03:29:19 AM
The Petrie one where Henderson spoiled the ball legally and he was given a free in front of goal was the big momentum killer.

i remember watching that and saying Carlton were going to get smashed  :'(

Jalapeno

Quote from: unceramonius on July 14, 2012, 12:34:17 AM
Sssssssssshhhhhhhh dont mention west coast.  Dont mention how they get favoured every single damn week.

Also dont mention how it seems like glass has to commit murder before they call for all the thug holding he does contest after contest.  Zac Dawson would be a star too....if he got away with just half of what glass does.

North were robbed last week. How can that not be a free against glass at the end, riding the back? When in the same game, same quarter..a mere tap awards darling a goal.

Oh sorry forgot.....sshhhhhh .dont mention it

SO flowerIN TRUE!!!!!! i am getting really sick of it! i used to think the cats were bad but west coast r taking it to a new low... owell

essendon2

St Kilda too?

think Nroo last week ~ got a FF everytime he went near the ball. fkn soft cock

Mat0369

Quote from: Cicjose on July 14, 2012, 04:00:16 AM

i remember watching that and saying Carlton were going to get smashed  :'(

After that Thomas goal from the boundary that pretty much shut the door. I still can't believe how straight they kicked that night. Every time they had a shot on goal it was going through.

bunyip

I have to agree. I watched the game and I thought North got some pretty soft free kicks in front of goal, I'd like to know how many goals North got from frees as opposed to Carlton. Mind you, having said that, I don't really care. I doubt if the umps go into a game to deliberately favor a side. It was just Norths turn.

Tominator

Jack Ziebell and Chris Judd both have been suspended for incidents where the umpire did not award a free kick to the opposition

This comes just two weeks after the Taylor Walker incident on Steve Morris....

Umpires and MRP are poles apart at the moment

bunyip

Yer, it is confusing. I think the umpies are as confused as anyone. Why report anyone if they are going to be spotted on video anyway?

Ringo

Quote from: essendon2 on July 14, 2012, 10:19:48 AM
St Kilda too?

think Nroo last week ~ got a FF everytime he went near the ball. fkn soft cock
He got 3 (2 very dubious) against us last Saturday Night as well including the one that gave Saints the lead.  Must tell Brownie to start diving and crying and carry on to get frees!!!

bunyip

Is it possible that because of the way footy is played these days and other issues such as health and safety are the rules getting to complex?

Rusty00

Quote from: bunyip on July 18, 2012, 10:55:17 AM
Is it possible that because of the way footy is played these days and other issues such as health and safety are the rules getting to complex?
This is part of the problem. There are too many grey areas in the rules that rely on interpretations. Umpires will have different interpretations as to how a rule should be applied, just the same as everyone watching will have different interpretations. Combine this with the fact the AFL seem to want to change the rules or interpretations of the rules every year, it all just leads to confusion for everyone.