WXV Draft/Trading Timetable....

Started by ossie85, July 13, 2012, 10:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrowsFan

But I really think that isn't the fairest way, cos when you are trading away the draft picks you are doing it to keep your players instead of draft picks. Then making us still delist players and give us crappy draft picks is pretty unfair in my opinion.

Should only have to delist enough players so that before the nat draft occurs your number of players on your list and number of draft picks equals 41

ossie85

Quote from: CrowsFan on September 02, 2012, 05:04:44 PM
But I really think that is stupid

Cheers CF, but I don't respond to that, feel free to reword

MajorLazer

But I really think that is stupid though cos when you are trading away the draft picks you are doing it to keep your players instead of draft picks. Then making us still delist players and give us crappy draft picks is pretty unfair in my opinion.

Should only have to delist enough players so that before the nat draft occurs your number of players on your list and number of draft picks equals 41
I agree, not with the stupid bit, but that it should be changed. If you want to trade away draft picks, you shouldn't be given more picks, you should be able to keep more players.

I still have very little idea of who I am going to delist.

CrowsFan

Quote from: ossie85 on September 02, 2012, 05:07:06 PM
But I really think that is stupid

Cheers CF, but I don't respond to that, feel free to reword
Yeah sorry poor choice of wording. Will reword it ;)

ossie85

The way the AFL systems works is:

Total Senior Positions Available minus Senior Spots filled = number of draft picks you get.

Collingwood in recent years trade there first couple of rounds of draft picks, but they still get another pick to make the numbers.

The difference here is we don't have an official rookie list.

What do others think?

If people don't want a delisting minimum, you still won't be able to go over 41 IMO (it would be really hard to make the drafts reflect reality otherwise).

So, if you have 41 players, you get NO picks.

If you have 40 players, you get 1 pick....

If you have 20 players, you get 21 picks!

That's the way the AFL basically works

Thought that by giving everybody a minimum 5 picks, you'd make the draft interesting.

c4v3m4n

I think it should be dependant on the draft picks you've got.

Let's say, for example, everyone is given 5 draft picks.

During, the trade period, CF trades me his second round and third picks.

Which means, after the draft period, I then have 7 draft picks and CF has 3.

Before the ND, this would mean that I would have to delist 7 and CF has to only delist 3. Draft order isn't comprimised and CF can keep more players.

Win win.

CrowsFan

Well with everyone having 5 picks that means there is 90 (plus the extra one for holz) picks in the draft. The way I am suggesting it will still have all 91 picks to be taken, just not 5 from each team. Some will have 6 or 7 picks whilst others will have 3 or 4. The people with 6 picks would obviously have to delist 11 players, and the players with 4 picks only delist 9.

I'll use an example to explain. Currently I have picks 16, 35, 53, 71 and 89. If I was to trade player X and my second round pick for player Y then I would still have 46 players, but only 4 picks. I would be doing that because there are players on my list I rate higher than draft picks (especially picks I would receive after pick 89) and would be annoyed to delist them for a crappy late stage pick. So I would prefer to only have to delist 9 to have a list of 37 players and then pick up 4 players in the draft.

The other team receiving player X and the second round pick would still have 46 players, but 6 picks, so would need to delist 11 of their players to have a list of 35 before taking their 6 national draft picks.

CrowsFan

Yep basically what c4 said, except he forgot the players you had to drop for the rookie draft.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: CrowsFan on September 02, 2012, 05:29:03 PM
Yep basically what c4 said, except he forgot the players you had to drop for the rookie draft.

That should also be dependant on how many players you delist before the rookie draft as well.

CrowsFan

Quote from: c4v3m4n on September 02, 2012, 05:34:27 PM
Quote from: CrowsFan on September 02, 2012, 05:29:03 PM

That should also be dependant on how many players you delist before the rookie draft as well.
Ah yes good point

ossie85

Quote from: CrowsFan on September 02, 2012, 05:27:43 PM
Well with everyone having 5 picks that means there is 90 (plus the extra one for holz) picks in the draft. The way I am suggesting it will still have all 91 picks to be taken, just not 5 from each team. Some will have 6 or 7 picks whilst others will have 3 or 4. The people with 6 picks would obviously have to delist 11 players, and the players with 4 picks only delist 9.

I'll use an example to explain. Currently I have picks 16, 35, 53, 71 and 89. If I was to trade player X and my second round pick for player Y then I would still have 46 players, but only 4 picks. I would be doing that because there are players on my list I rate higher than draft picks (especially picks I would receive after pick 89) and would be annoyed to delist them for a crappy late stage pick. So I would prefer to only have to delist 9 to have a list of 37 players and then pick up 4 players in the draft.

The other team receiving player X and the second round pick would still have 46 players, but 6 picks, so would need to delist 11 of their players to have a list of 35 before taking their 6 national draft picks.

There is merit to that, but it is inconsistent with how the AFL system works.

How would you work it when say a few teams have say 15 players delisted/retired, and there are literally not enough players for that coach to pick to bring up to 41?

It is possible with that...

Always said that this is a democracy though

ossie85

For example, 143 players were delisted/retired last year, very few of them picked up again in the National Draft

143 forced delistings by the AFL Clubs

Meaning, you would need 53 picks minimum to get everyone up to 41 players each. And that's assuming an even distribution.

Last year, there were 88 Draft Picks, and that was abnormally high because of the draft. 13 of those were Rookie Promotions which would mean 75 picks, take away all the extra GWS picks and you're looking at 65-70 picks maximum.

Leaves a very fine line as to whether teams will be able to get up to 41 each before the rookie/preseason. Likely meaning the strong teams have an advantage of the weak players.

A minimum of 10 delistings = 180 players across the comp, meaning a guarantee that everybody will be able to complete a list. Under last year, that means 37 players 'listed' players delisted.

Hope that makes sense... cos I'm not sure it does lol

CrowsFan

Yeah fair enough ossie, I guess I'm just complaining because I can't figure out who to delist...

ossie85

Quote from: CrowsFan on September 02, 2012, 06:11:27 PM
Yeah fair enough ossie, I guess I'm just complaining because I can't figure out who to delist...

Seriously, if people feel that 10 is too much, I'm willing to compromise!

I sound cranky today cos I haven't slept much in about 3 days after moving house and going out last night lol

CrowsFan

Yeah maybe it is just 10 is too much considering that is 22% of your squad getting cut!