LaHug's Captains Round 16 - New Top 5!!!

Started by LaHug, July 11, 2012, 04:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who's your captain?

Swan
35 (42.7%)
Boyd
16 (19.5%)
Thompson
20 (24.4%)
Selwood
1 (1.2%)
Mitchell
0 (0%)
Pendlebury
2 (2.4%)
Someone else
8 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Kellogscrunchynut

LaHug

Quote from: Memphistopheles on July 12, 2012, 08:00:04 PM
Great thread LaHug - great read every week and i'll be paying more attention this week after going Ablett over Boyd last week.

However, one thing which really bugs me about your thread and other captain threads around the place is that all the predictions for these players are over 100.

No way all of these players will score a ton (I realise that in the requests you have listed a couple of players as 90 and one as 80) but it seems every one suggested is always 100, 110, 120 or 130.

Evidenced last week with Sidey, Beams, Watson, Stanton, Kennedy, Rocky, Redden and Buddy all failing to make it.

As I don't want to just use this post to rant I'm going to make a suggestion which I think would improve the captains thread each week.

In a addition to the top 5 can you also do a prediction of the top five options who could bomb out (I.E. score 70-80) ?

The two most important things when picking a captain for me are: Who could get the highest score and who is most likely not to score below 100. Which means I usually end up going for the safe Ablett/Boyd option.

This thread puts me off slightly because it's like - all these guys listed (which is mainly the same each week) are safe options to get to 100, 110, 120, 130 which is not the case IMO.
It takes me a bit of time to go through each player, especially if I think a score is particularly stand out for a player (in which case, I will go and look up what happened that day). Because of the time for each player, I usually just look at the regular top scorers from each team and have a quick skim over their history. If I don't think they're going to crack the ton that week, or at least won't get a captain-worthy score, I usually just ignore them and don't look into it further. If I were to look into players that I think are going to do poorly in detail, I would be spending a lot of extra time which, unless someone is going to pay me ::), is not worthwhile and not time that I have.
I guess that also answers your suggestion to players that could bomb out - not going to happen, sorry.

LaHug

Quote from: Chelskiman on July 12, 2012, 10:20:27 PM
I won't be doing it, but just for interests sake can you do Cox for me?
Done mate. Great potential but too much risk for me.

I'll probably struggle to get any more predictions out this because I'm pretty crook right now.

KoopKicka

Cheers for JPK LH ;) might put the C on Lids or Mitchell this week.

LaHug

Quote from: KoopKicka on July 12, 2012, 11:18:07 PM
Cheers for JPK LH ;) might put the C on Lids or Mitchell this week.
Wouldn't mind JPK as a SC captain this week because it's a big game but yeah, not for DT. Do you still have him in your mids? If you have plenty of trades and no Pendles, I can see a straight swap happening when Pendles bottoms out!

Bill Manspeaker

another great job mate :)

call me crazy, but i'm sticking with Ablett this week vs the Tiges! come on you bald little champion

Zombie2.5

Still tossing it up between Thompson, Selwood and Boydy for me. I don't really feel like relying on Thompson, not sure on going Boyd again and Selwood has been a bit unpredictable at times this year.

They all sound like good options to me, leaning towards Boyd again.

If I'm not sure, will probably just go Swan..... lol

Great article LH, cheers to you!

Flame

Great job Huggy Bear! Your articles have made me realize that I need Boyd!

Can't decide between Ablett, swan or Thompson for captain!

LaHug

Quote from: Flame on July 13, 2012, 09:52:52 AM
Great job Huggy Bear! Your articles have made me realize that I need Boyd!

Can't decide between Ablett, swan or Thompson for captain!
They've made me realise the same thing :-[
It's a pity that I already have six premium midfielders... If I had a heap of trades left, I'd probably get rid of Stanton or Rocky for him but I'll just have to hope they can have more consistent outputs from now on!

stew42

Hey LaHug, I'm interested on your thoughts on Ablett. I've had it in my head that I'll trade Priddis for him next week. However, with GAJ's sub-standard scores and Priddis' rise, I'm going to wait. But should I be considering someone else for my final mid (ala Rocky, Jelwood, anyone)? Cheers.

Justin Bieber

Yeah who should I go? Swan would be a lock, but Pendles is back and he has an apparent sore hip. Really not sure what to do hear :(

stew42

Quote from: whatlez on July 13, 2012, 01:36:14 PM
Yeah who should I go? Swan would be a lock, but Pendles is back and he has an apparent sore hip. Really not sure what to do hear :(
Boyd :p

Justin Bieber

Quote from: stew42 on July 13, 2012, 01:37:04 PM
Last time I went him I got 70  :-[

Windigo

* Dane Swan (35%, 730 Votes)
    * Matthew Boyd (20%, 421 Votes)
    * Dean Cox (4%, 78 Votes)
    * Gary Ablett (14%, 293 Votes)
    * Joel Selwood (2%, 47 Votes)
    * Scottie Thompson (15%, 317 Votes)
    * Brett Deledio (3%, 56 Votes)
    * Jobe Watson (2%, 52 Votes)
    * Brent Stanton (1%, 23 Votes)
    * Ivan Maric (2%, 36 Votes)
    * Someone Else (2%, 45 Votes)

From DTtalk. It seems most are going with Swan. I might go with Boyd, just on the stats with Swanny & the Pies. Even with Ling gone.....

stew42

Quote from: whatlez on July 13, 2012, 01:38:58 PM
Quote from: stew42 on July 13, 2012, 01:37:04 PM
Last time I went him I got 70  :-[
But other than that 70, he been awesome! C'mon, it's his 200th, playing the Hawks, do it! Don't let the past affect your future... *ominous underscoring*