ohhhh the temptation

Started by colmullet, July 02, 2012, 03:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colmullet

Really do not want to use any trades from here until finals with 3 left its going to be like walking through a minefield with a blindfold on.....but should Giles and Goodes become around equal value over the next week or so.....would it be worth going Giles -> Goodes and throwing Roughy in as R2 for the year......otherwise if i keep Giles till finals which was the plan, i would need to burn 2 trades to upgrade him then to the form ruckmen of the comp whoever it may be at the time......its a conundrum.

ScottieD

colmullet

yeah fair enough....i mean im sitting fine in my leagues but they are only dodgy public leagues....so i guess my aim is to just push up as far overall as i can n if i win a few little public leagues along the way so be it :p

tor01doc

Good plan

Goodes and Roughy should easily outscore Giles and Roughy and it may well let you get another gun forward too.

colmullet

yeah, it would to good of an opportunity to miss i think if i does in fact happen.....have less than 5K in the bank so would need Goodes to throw another average game up for it to happen i think

bowyanger

Quote from: ScottieD on July 02, 2012, 04:24:17 PM
Overall = yes
League = no

I dont understand why there should be a difference between overall & league when we have passed the bye rounds without knowing if the team in question has definately sewn up a top 8 finish (as in this situation)

If your going for overall, that means your going to try the hardest, for every week, from here till the very last round.

If your not guaranteed a top 8 finish in league, your going to try every week from here for the rest of the year not to lose a match

Is there something Im being a Derp about?

Ziplock

if you're in contention for overall, it can be reasonable to take some risks and give yourself an edge over the competition, as at this stage if you play it safe you won't gain any ground. While league, at this point, risks are kind of unnecessary, unless you're on the fringe for the 8.

ScottieD

Re Bowyanger: You are correct in one way, i.e. for a player who is struggling to make top 8.  I'm not thinking top 8 when i give this advice.  I'm thinking how well you will go in finals (assuming you will make it).  For league finals you ideally want 6 trades for short term injuries and restings.  For overall, if you hang onto 6 trades till rounds 20-23, you will not have a complete team until the very end, whereas you could have completed your team earlier and watched the points roll in.

Unfortunately colmullet, I don't think you'll be able to make this trade with just 5k.  Giles looks likely to drop from 400k to 380k this week.  As for Goodes, if he scores 80, he'll drop another 45k to 418k - thus you're approx 35-40k short, 30k short including your 5k... you will need a 135 from Giles to break even and sub 60 from Goodes to drop to required 405k.

colmullet

yeah haha it was a big if i was throwing out there lol....more wishful thinking than anything else

bowyanger

Quote from: ScottieD on July 02, 2012, 05:06:35 PM
Re Bowyanger: You are correct in one way, i.e. for a player who is struggling to make top 8.  I'm not thinking top 8 when i give this advice.  I'm thinking how well you will go in finals (assuming you will make it).  For league finals you ideally want 6 trades for short term injuries and restings.  For overall, if you hang onto 6 trades till rounds 20-23, you will not have a complete team until the very end, whereas you could have completed your team earlier and watched the points roll in.

Unfortunately colmullet, I don't think you'll be able to make this trade with just 5k.  Giles looks likely to drop from 400k to 380k this week.  As for Goodes, if he scores 80, he'll drop another 45k to 418k - thus you're approx 35-40k short, 30k short including your 5k... you will need a 135 from Giles to break even and sub 60 from Goodes to drop to required 405k.

Yes good points.

I suspect those pushing to stay in touch for overall at the moment are burning trades fast...In the last few weeks when GS hits, those still with trades left will make massive ground....even if those at the top try to save trades...others will be still improving and making ground all the time

Theres only approx. 1000 points separating the top 3%....lets say those at the top start banging out 1800s for the last few weeks..whilst those with trades are motoring home with consistant 2300s...1000 points could be made up easily in 3 weeks..especially as there is a great deal of inconsistancy with players scoring it seems this year...some weeks Im in the top 1500 for the week...other weeks Im out to a 10K rating for the week

Therefore I think its a huge advantage of having 6 trades left for finals to go overall...as I said...there is potentially massive ground to make up (as well as winning leagues)

Hence my original query

KBcokebotl

If going for overall, I would only save trades when i was completely happy with my starting 21.

ScottieD

If you have 6 trades left come finals, you will still have 2-4 weak links in your team.  The top teams are complete, full of premiums and getting further and further away from you.  No way known are the top teams all going to start banging out 1800s.  They will be posting 2200-2600 for rest of season.  1000 points is a huge amount to catch up on in 3 weeks - you might catch 1 team who is out of form or out of trades, but you will not catch the paleton - afterall they don't have identical teams.  BTW - The 97%ile team is currently on about 28,725 points overall = 2,479 points behind the leader (31,204) - not 1000 as you suggested.

Flower, just heard Goddard out for 2 weeks.

mzunguman

Quote from: colmullet on July 02, 2012, 03:55:19 PM
Really do not want to use any trades from here until finals with 3 left its going to be like walking through a minefield with a blindfold on.....but should Giles and Goodes become around equal value over the next week or so.....would it be worth going Giles -> Goodes and throwing Roughy in as R2 for the year......otherwise if i keep Giles till finals which was the plan, i would need to burn 2 trades to upgrade him then to the form ruckmen of the comp whoever it may be at the time......its a conundrum.
I'm in a very similar situation to you and was also considering the Giles to Goodes trade except for me I'd be pushing Hale into the ruck
Would like to know what your final decision is!
What about christenson from Geelong? He can be a straight swap for Giles and could be a good POD??

colmullet

hmmm true haven't thought of him, ill give Giles another week at least i think....the only problem i have doing it (besides being down another trade) is that i lose my DPP link with rucks and have no backup should one of NicNat or Roughy go down

mzunguman

Yeah very true - if i put Hale into the ruck and trade Giles ill not only lose my ruck DPP but it also means that Sam Rowe is just being wasted on bench, so if my team does go to shower ill be in a bit of trouble because same with you, ill have next to no trades left

Weigh-up whether you'll get more point from Giles or someone else if you trade him out in the FWD line and maybe you'll just have to take a risk