2013 DT Rookies - Stars of the NAB U18 Championships

Started by Tominator, June 29, 2012, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tominator

Quote from: Torpedo10 on July 04, 2012, 08:15:28 PM
Quote from: Tominator on June 29, 2012, 05:40:58 PM
Anybody been watching them on FoxFooty today?

Here are 10 players to watch from today's games in my opinion:

VIC Country 6.15 (51) vs VIC Metro 8.18 (66)

Ollie Wines - #33, VIC Country, midfielder - strong midfielder who picked up 18 disposals and one of VIC C's best. Kicked 1.2 and ran hard all day. 85 DT points.
Lachie Whitfield - #9, VIC Country, midfielder - kicked 0.4 and didn't play extremely well. Only picked up 13 disposals, did some good things but didn't play the way you'd expect from somebody widely tipped to be #1 Draft Pick. 50 DT points
Nathan Hrovat - #6, VIC Metro, midfielder - really like the look of this kid, a classy midfielder who got 21 touches and kicked a nice goal. One of five Carey Grammar schoolboys in the VIC Metro side. 97 DT points.
Jack Viney - #28, VIC Metro, midfielder - at the bottom of just about every pack all day, and earned 16 touches and 4 tackles. Didn't set the world on fire, but Melbourne would be crazy to pass this guy up as father-son. 64 DT points.
Tom Temay - #11, VIC Metro, defender - highest possession-getter on the ground with 24 disposals. Valuable link for his team from defence to attack. 80 DT points.

Western Australia 4.10 (34) vs. South Australia 12.12 (84)

Sam Colquhoun (pronounced Col-hoon) - #7, SA, defender - has been a real surprise packet, had averaged 28 disposals across the carnival. Sweeping across Half-Back and mopping up everything, picked up 32 disposals today. Could be a real draft smokey. 104 DT points.
Jimmy Toumpas - #2, SA, midfielder/defender - SA captain and already played in an SANFL premiership with Woodville-West-Torrens. Injured hip which he has been carrying for a while but still got 21 touches. 76 DT points.
Brodie Grundy - #42, SA, ruckman - the best ruckman in the carnival, tipped to be Top 10 draft pick. Gun of the future. Already played with Sturt in SANFL and racked up 25 hit-outs. 78 DT points.
Matthew McDonough - #15, SA, forward - mid-sized forward who dominated the scoring for SA. Took 8 marks, kicked 6.3 and very lively up forward all day. 115 DT points.
Dayle Garlett - #2, WA, midfielder - another player I am predicting big things for. Widely tipped to go high in the draft, he had blistering pace yet great poise. Kicked a classy goal from the pocket and had 27 disposals. 107 DT points.

Anybody else catch your eye today?

* players eligible for this year's draft - so Thomas Boyd, Jack Billings, Matt Scharenberg, James Aish, Matt Crouch, etc not included
Whitfield is a star. all players have down games. His a Champ.
he showed that today didn't he. Like the look of him a lot

bomberboy0618

Quote from: Noz on July 04, 2012, 08:18:56 PM
I doubt Grundy will last up until the late teens where that would be Crows first pick going by current form.

Absolutely in love with Garlett.
He is definitely going to be in my team.

Noz

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on July 04, 2012, 08:30:43 PM
Quote from: Noz on July 04, 2012, 08:18:56 PM
I doubt Grundy will last up until the late teens where that would be Crows first pick going by current form.

Absolutely in love with Garlett.
He is definitely going to be in my team.
Very excited for this draft, So many good players you could pop in a dozen in your team next year.

Tominator

Vic Metro 14.12 (96) v Western Australia 10.12 (72)

Very low-scoring DT game, with only 2 VIC players and 4 WA players scoring above 70.

However, ten players to watch are:

Joe Daniher - VIC Metro, #36, key forward - 110 DT points
Another star in the making who you will no doubt see down at Windy Hill next year, as Essendon will take them as their father-son pick. Kicked 4.6 and took 11 marks, as a common target up forward every time VIC Metro went inside 50. Good DT scorer as of his 16 touches he had 15 kicks, and would've gone even bigger had he kicked accurately. Star of the future.

Nick Vlastuin - VIC Metro, #30, half-back - 63 DT points
His DT score was not a true indication with the way he played, and fought hard all day to end up with 16 possessions and 6 Rebound-50s. Although he was listed as starting in the Forward Pocket, he played in defence for most of the game, setting up a number of damaging plays throughout the game. Good solid defender who should go 3rd or 4th Round in the draft.

Jackson Macrae - VIC Metro, #16, midfielder/half-forward - 86 DT points
Played well throughout the game to end up with 21 disposals and 4 marks, and 17 of his 21 disposals were kicks which helped his DT points. Managed 4 I50s and 3 R50s, so he worked hard at both ends of the ground. Also laid 3 tackles and played well on the wing, especially in the first half when the Vics were up and about and dominating the game.

Jonathon O'Rourke - VIC Metro, #14, midfielder - 68 DT points
Was everywhere early, setting up two goals to Jack Billings and kicking one himself in the first five minutes. Ended up with 18 disposals and - like Vlastuin - his DT score wasn't an indication of how he played. Running machine off half-back and wing and I really like the way he plays (similar to the way I play too)

Jack Viney - VIC Metro, #28, midfielder - 65 DT points
Another father-son pick - or so it seems - this young lad was as usual doing the hard and tough things in the packs. Ended up with 18 touches and 7 Inside-50s, giving his forwards of Daniher, Jaksch and Boyd constant chances to have an impact on the game. One of many future stars to come from this carnival.

Adam Carter - WA, #19, defender - 83 DT points
Leading ball-winner for WA with 20 touches, 7 of which were contested. Did the hard things for his team and used it will most of the time. Also took 5 marks and kicked a nice goal. I like the way he plays

Jack Martin - WA, #29, midfielder - 112 DT points
Really put on a masterclass for his teammates today, and led by example all day. This man is an excitement machine, who got 19 possessions and took 6 marks but importantly laid 6 tackles. Similar player to Ollie Wines of VIC Country (albeit skinnier), he kicked 3 goals to cap off a very good peformance, and boosted his draft stocks a lot.

Dayle Garlett - WA, #2, midfielder - 40 DT points
With pace to burn - much like his cousin Jeff - he really showed glimpses of his talent with 3 dashing runs through the centre, but unfortunately he was unable to have a major impact on the game like he did last Friday. Picked up 12 disposals but a DT score of 40 was not a true reflection of his game. Should still go in the Top 10 of the draft and I'm sure we will see plenty of him in the future though. His DT stocks don't look to bad either

Marco Paparone - WA, #23, key forward - 86 DT points
Another surprise packet from WA, this guy could've hit the DT ton had he kicked straight - he ended up with 1.3 - but was lively early, given that WA were getting smashed. 19 possessions and took 6 grabs being used as a key forward, but he could only use it at 63% efficiency. Showed promising signs however

Laine Wilkins - WA, #28, half-forward - 81 DT points
Was a shining light for his team, booting 4 goals off a Half-Forward Flank. Had plenty of pace and all 10 of his disposals were kicks (good for DT). Don't think he'll be very DT relevant next year though.

Noz

Very good write up again Tominator well done, Have a cheer  :)

Tominator

Quote from: Noz on July 04, 2012, 09:43:11 PM

Thanks Noz, appreciate it! One for you too :)

But does your DP mean you're a Port supporter?!  :o

Justin Bieber

Noz

Quote from: Tominator on July 04, 2012, 10:51:37 PM

Yes i follow Port :)
Also follow Dayle Garlett  :P

Tominator

Quote from: Noz on July 04, 2012, 10:57:06 PM
Quote from: Tominator on July 04, 2012, 10:51:37 PM

Yes i follow Port :)
Also follow Dayle Garlett  :P

well being a Crows supporter I should hate you... but you seem like a good bloke so I won't ahaha

Quote from: whatlez on July 04, 2012, 10:53:50 PM
Tom where is Whitfield?
Page 2 about halfway down shows the write-up of the other game, Lachie's in there DW

HBTD22

This is great work... I really appreciate this, +1!

Tominator

Torpedo10

Quote from: JBs-Hawks on July 04, 2012, 08:18:03 PM
You will be loving the #1 pick in the english national draft won't ya torp haha
I am JB. Daniher probably won't last till my next pick but will look to trade him in.  :)

MTTY

Quote from: Tominator on July 04, 2012, 09:35:41 PM
Vic Metro 14.12 (96) v Western Australia 10.12 (72)

Very low-scoring DT game, with only 2 VIC players and 4 WA players scoring above 70.

However, ten players to watch are:

Joe Daniher - VIC Metro, #36, key forward - 110 DT points
Another star in the making who you will no doubt see down at Windy Hill next year, as Essendon will take them as their father-son pick. Kicked 4.6 and took 11 marks, as a common target up forward every time VIC Metro went inside 50. Good DT scorer as of his 16 touches he had 15 kicks, and would've gone even bigger had he kicked accurately. Star of the future.

Nick Vlastuin - VIC Metro, #30, half-back - 63 DT points
His DT score was not a true indication with the way he played, and fought hard all day to end up with 16 possessions and 6 Rebound-50s. Although he was listed as starting in the Forward Pocket, he played in defence for most of the game, setting up a number of damaging plays throughout the game. Good solid defender who should go 3rd or 4th Round in the draft.

Jackson Macrae - VIC Metro, #16, midfielder/half-forward - 86 DT points
Played well throughout the game to end up with 21 disposals and 4 marks, and 17 of his 21 disposals were kicks which helped his DT points. Managed 4 I50s and 3 R50s, so he worked hard at both ends of the ground. Also laid 3 tackles and played well on the wing, especially in the first half when the Vics were up and about and dominating the game.

Jonathon O'Rourke - VIC Metro, #14, midfielder - 68 DT points
Was everywhere early, setting up two goals to Jack Billings and kicking one himself in the first five minutes. Ended up with 18 disposals and - like Vlastuin - his DT score wasn't an indication of how he played. Running machine off half-back and wing and I really like the way he plays (similar to the way I play too)

Jack Viney - VIC Metro, #28, midfielder - 65 DT points
Another father-son pick - or so it seems - this young lad was as usual doing the hard and tough things in the packs. Ended up with 18 touches and 7 Inside-50s, giving his forwards of Daniher, Jaksch and Boyd constant chances to have an impact on the game. One of many future stars to come from this carnival.

Adam Carter - WA, #19, defender - 83 DT points
Leading ball-winner for WA with 20 touches, 7 of which were contested. Did the hard things for his team and used it will most of the time. Also took 5 marks and kicked a nice goal. I like the way he plays

Jack Martin - WA, #29, midfielder - 112 DT points
Really put on a masterclass for his teammates today, and led by example all day. This man is an excitement machine, who got 19 possessions and took 6 marks but importantly laid 6 tackles. Similar player to Ollie Wines of VIC Country (albeit skinnier), he kicked 3 goals to cap off a very good peformance, and boosted his draft stocks a lot.

Dayle Garlett - WA, #2, midfielder - 40 DT points
With pace to burn - much like his cousin Jeff - he really showed glimpses of his talent with 3 dashing runs through the centre, but unfortunately he was unable to have a major impact on the game like he did last Friday. Picked up 12 disposals but a DT score of 40 was not a true reflection of his game. Should still go in the Top 10 of the draft and I'm sure we will see plenty of him in the future though. His DT stocks don't look to bad either

Another surprise packet from WA, this guy could've hit the DT ton had he kicked straight - he ended up with 1.3 - but was lively early, given that WA were getting smashed. 19 possessions and took 6 grabs being used as a key forward, but he could only use it at 63% efficiency. Showed promising signs however

Laine Wilkins - WA, #28, half-forward - 81 DT points
Was a shining light for his team, booting 4 goals off a Half-Forward Flank. Had plenty of pace and all 10 of his disposals were kicks (good for DT). Don't think he'll be very DT relevant next year though.

Jack Martin will no doubt go number 1 in the mini draft after his work in this years champs as an underage player.  :)

Shaddy94

I have personally played against this guy in the colts competition and he is a gun, IMO the best player in the colts competition, he works really hard and finds alot of the footy, he has good skills and his size makes him a key target. will devs be worth a look next year

Tominator

Quote from: Shaddy94 on July 06, 2012, 12:32:13 AM

I have personally played against this guy in the colts competition and he is a gun, IMO the best player in the colts competition, he works really hard and finds alot of the footy, he has good skills and his size makes him a key target. will devs be worth a look next year

OK thanks for the analogy on him, I hadn't heard much about him (like most of the WA boys)

How early in the draft do you think he will go?