2013 DT Rookies - Stars of the NAB U18 Championships

Started by Tominator, June 29, 2012, 05:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

Dayle is indeed the cousin of Jeff, They are the cousins of Lance Franklin and Des Headland as well.

Tominator

Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on July 01, 2012, 09:50:18 PM
Quote from: Tominator on July 01, 2012, 09:48:37 PM
Quote from: Kellogscrunchynut on July 01, 2012, 09:47:28 PM
Is Dane Gartlett related to Jeff?

believe there is some relation there but whether it is brother or cousin I'm not 100% sure
Thanks mate and top write-up by the way.

Cheers mate really appreciate that!

Good thing about the U18s is that it gives us hope for 2013 DT  ;)

Tominator

final round of games are back underway now, and I will post up a review of today's games like I did in this thread earlier

Feel free to post anything else you wanna add - questions, queries, comments, etc - during today's games as well!

luked98

The F.A.R.K.

Matt Scharenberg from SA nad Nathan Stark have shown they can find the footy big DT accumulators

HBTD22

Quote from: The F.A.R.K. on July 04, 2012, 04:59:46 PM
Matt Scharenberg from SA nad Nathan Stark have shown they can find the footy big DT accumulators

Went to school with Scharenberg's brother... Matt will be an absolute star, he's only in year 11 and absolutely carving up. Start playing first 18s in year 9 at 14 years of age, definitely will be one to look out for in 2014.

MTTY

Noz

TheHanger

Ollie Wines got 105 dt points today against SA
Toumpas got 130 against Vic Metro despite hip injury

lock these two in for 2013 for sure

Tominator

VIC Country 10.9 (69) v South Australia 13.4 (82)

Ten players to watch from this game:

Lachie Whitfield - VIC Country, #9, MID - 87 DT points
Showed his doubters exactly why he is being touted as a #1 pick with 26 touches and 2 goals. Was everywhere in the first half where he amassed 15 possessions before tailing off slightly in the second. His running prowess would definitely have caught the eye of recruiters, but IMO he needs to add a little bit of muscle to his frame before he hits AFL level. Going to be a gun none-the-less.

Ollie Wines - VIC Country, #33, MID - 105 DT points
Love the look of this kid. Finished with 24 disposals, 6 marks and 4 tackles. Commentators compared him to Colin Sylvia but I see a lot of Dustin Martin in this guy, as he plays in the midfield but likes to go forward too. He kicked a goal and could've had 3 if luck went his way. Tipped to go late in the first round but already locked into my team come Round 1, 2013 whatever his price is.

Lewis Taylor - VIC Country, #5, midfielder - 81 DT points
Had not seen or heard of this guy before today but he really turned it on when he needed to. Ran hard all day to finish with 21 possessions, 7 marks and two goals, but no tackles. Not sure where in the draft he will go but looked alright so maybe 2nd or 3rd Round.

Tim Membrey - VIC Country, #40, key forward - 77 DT points
Key forward who led strongly and finished with 4 goals, including 3 in the first quarter. Not hard to spot with the big tattoo on his left upper arm, but presented well all day and took 5 marks to go with his 4 goals and 13 touches. But I'm not sold on his DT relevance for next season however, but one to watch.

Ben Kennedy - SA, #4, midfielder/forward - 99 DT points
The kid who always has his tongue out really racked up today. Ended up with 26 disposals, 5 marks and 2 goals to fall just shy of the DT ton, and was dominant especially in the 3rd Quarter, where he had 10 disposals, sure to catch the eye of recruiters. Crows could be kicking themselves in a couple of years for not getting him in GWS mini-draft.. Hope we get him someday though!

Brodie Grundy - SA, #42, ruckman - 97 DT points
Lock this guy in for R3 next year. In 2011 we had Zac Smith. In 2012 we had Jonathon Giles, and in 2013 it will be Brodie Grundy - without a shadow of a doubt. He could even be RUC/FWD, as he bobbed up with 3 goals in addition to his 20 hitouts, 7 marks and 12 possessions. Been the best ruckman in the country for the entire tournament and should go Top 10, maybe even Top 5. Lock him into your 2013 DT.

Sam Colqhoun - SA, #7, half-back - 85 DT points
Another player who continues to surprise everybody. Has played extremely well off half-back all tournament and today was no exception, ending up with 24 touches and 7 marks, playing his usual sweeper role. My tip for a big draft smokey, as there was no hype surrounding him leading into the championships (unlike Grundy, Kennedy, Toumpas, etc)

Jimmy Toumpas - SA, #2, half-back/midfielder - 120 DT points
What a star this boy is going to be. Dominated from the word go, and was simply everywhere all throughout the game. Inspirational captain who racked up 26 possessions, 9 marks, and 5 tackles - and a brilliant DT scorer! Should play straight away next year and will go Top 5 in the draft. Put off hip surgery just to play today's game and did his draft chances a world of good.

Sam Mayes - SA, #26, midfielder/forward - 80 DT points
Very versatile player who I can see being used as a sub a lot next year. An All-Australian at U18 level last year, he has plenty of pace and can play both talls and smalls, in the midfield or up forward. 19 disposals with 6 marks, he was able to set up many scoring opportunities, while bagging 2 goals himself.

Matthew McDonough - SA, #15, small forward - 64 DT points
Surprise packet of the tournament, kicking two bags of 6 goals and another 3 today. Very similar to Jason Porplyzia in both the way he plays and the way he is built, and took 4 marks to go with his 9 touches.

TheHanger

JBs-Hawks

On the guy compared to Sylvia, that's cos Sylvia is very similar to dusty ;)

Torpedo10

Quote from: Tominator on June 29, 2012, 05:40:58 PM
Anybody been watching them on FoxFooty today?

Here are 10 players to watch from today's games in my opinion:

VIC Country 6.15 (51) vs VIC Metro 8.18 (66)

Ollie Wines - #33, VIC Country, midfielder - strong midfielder who picked up 18 disposals and one of VIC C's best. Kicked 1.2 and ran hard all day. 85 DT points.
Lachie Whitfield - #9, VIC Country, midfielder - kicked 0.4 and didn't play extremely well. Only picked up 13 disposals, did some good things but didn't play the way you'd expect from somebody widely tipped to be #1 Draft Pick. 50 DT points
Nathan Hrovat - #6, VIC Metro, midfielder - really like the look of this kid, a classy midfielder who got 21 touches and kicked a nice goal. One of five Carey Grammar schoolboys in the VIC Metro side. 97 DT points.
Jack Viney - #28, VIC Metro, midfielder - at the bottom of just about every pack all day, and earned 16 touches and 4 tackles. Didn't set the world on fire, but Melbourne would be crazy to pass this guy up as father-son. 64 DT points.
Tom Temay - #11, VIC Metro, defender - highest possession-getter on the ground with 24 disposals. Valuable link for his team from defence to attack. 80 DT points.

Western Australia 4.10 (34) vs. South Australia 12.12 (84)

Sam Colquhoun (pronounced Col-hoon) - #7, SA, defender - has been a real surprise packet, had averaged 28 disposals across the carnival. Sweeping across Half-Back and mopping up everything, picked up 32 disposals today. Could be a real draft smokey. 104 DT points.
Jimmy Toumpas - #2, SA, midfielder/defender - SA captain and already played in an SANFL premiership with Woodville-West-Torrens. Injured hip which he has been carrying for a while but still got 21 touches. 76 DT points.
Brodie Grundy - #42, SA, ruckman - the best ruckman in the carnival, tipped to be Top 10 draft pick. Gun of the future. Already played with Sturt in SANFL and racked up 25 hit-outs. 78 DT points.
Matthew McDonough - #15, SA, forward - mid-sized forward who dominated the scoring for SA. Took 8 marks, kicked 6.3 and very lively up forward all day. 115 DT points.
Dayle Garlett - #2, WA, midfielder - another player I am predicting big things for. Widely tipped to go high in the draft, he had blistering pace yet great poise. Kicked a classy goal from the pocket and had 27 disposals. 107 DT points.

Anybody else catch your eye today?

* players eligible for this year's draft - so Thomas Boyd, Jack Billings, Matt Scharenberg, James Aish, Matt Crouch, etc not included
Whitfield is a star. all players have down games. His a Champ.

JBs-Hawks

You will be loving the #1 pick in the english national draft won't ya torp haha

Noz

I doubt Grundy will last up until the late teens where that would be Crows first pick going by current form.

Absolutely in love with Garlett.