ESPN - NFL Fantasy 2012/13

Started by monstrum, June 11, 2012, 03:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capper

i propose you watch all of "The League" an american show about Fantasy NFL

We could go with this as to work out the trade order
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyEsJvT3FDI
Quote from: Colliwobblers on June 15, 2012, 09:43:28 PM
let me know your league anyway so i can join :) and feel free to join mine and thread hosts ofcourse :)
ok will do. 2 Leagues are better than 1... :) :) :)

monstrum

sort of off subject but i didnt wanna make a new thread,

has anyone seen Hard Knocks?

@Tabs: wheres the leagues show? is it all on youtube..?

Mat0369

Quote from: Colliwobblers on June 15, 2012, 09:42:18 PM
@ MAT0369 - I played all NFL managed default leagues, being my first year i didn't want to try custom leagues you need to understand a lot more to be competative when you start changing the setup scoring ect.

I did however take Rogers (being a packers fan) first round last season and I also took the packers DEF earlier than i should have in one draft.

Got my favourite tight end early in one too, just a general rule under default settings you want the best RB & WR before your QB

UNLESS  you are taking one of the very few "level above" quarterbacks first round. usually three or four go round 1, the rest can wait till round 4 or 5 or even 6 as they are much closer together in scoring after those elite few

agree? you probably know more than me first season last season. cant wait for this one, no wonder fantasy football is so big in USA it is awesome.

I have played for the last 4-5 seasons. The RB first then WR pick was the general strategy in past years. With the NFL shifting to a pass 1st league guys like Rodgers, Brees and Brady are the TOP scorers in all of Fantasy Football. Last year the RB draft class was pretty weak. So it was more important to get a decent above everyone else tier running back early. So the top 5 picks should have been RB's since there was a lack of depth. After that it would have been a reach to take a RB in that position that early. So a player like Rodgers or Brees in the 6-12 region is a good pick. With the way the NFL is moving being a pass first league, depending where you are picking, you have to change your strategy. Stud RB's are a premium since the top of the class is so thin, WR's are a bit deeper, QB's are going to rack up your points. This season if I was picking at the back end of a draft I would look at taking a QB or a stud WR compared to 4 years ago when a RB was a must. I would rather the guaranteed points then reach for a RB.

A WR like Megatron or Andre Johnson (his injury last season slowed him down) who catches a lot of TD's and gets a ton of yardage are the WR's you look for early in the regular scoring draft. It is all about yardage and TD's in regular scoring leagues. Those guys are a class above again.

PPR leagues would also change your ratings in picks. Ranking your players all depends on your scoring system. When you look at PPR leagues a guy like Wes Welker is worth a lot more. The same with pass catching RB's. So Shady McCoy and Matt Forte are worth more in a PPR league compared to AP who was worth more in a regular league.

Mat0369

Quote from: monstrum on June 15, 2012, 10:40:42 PM

sort of off subject but i didnt wanna make a new thread,

has anyone seen Hard Knocks?

I wanted to see the season with Rex Ryan and the Jets but never ended up seeing it.

The League has been on and off on ONE HD. It is not out on DVD at all which is a pain

Mat0369

In terms of rosters I was thinking something along the lines of this
QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR, TE, D/ST, K, with 6 or 7 bench spots. 6 if we want to make it tougher.

I think we should have fractional points as well. This helps eliminate a tie (or makes it more amazing when there is one).

In terms of scoring settings, passing TD's worth 6 points not 4, you can have negative points, INT's are worth -2 instead of -1. So if you pick a QB who throws a lot of TD's but also happens to turn it over a lot, it has more of an effect. I also like the PPR settings, so either a full or a .5 PPR. Maybe bonus scores as well for long bomb TD's (over 40 yards if they are caught, thrown or ran) or yardage surpassed (400 passing yards you get a 5 point bonus). 1 point for every 50 return yards, negative points on pix 6's thrown. I played with some interesting defensive settings last year where there were points for 3 and outs and 4th down stops on the D/ST.

Let me know what you all think I can post them in more detail if people are interested.

Colliwobblers

Quality Mat0369 all makes sense, I'd be interested in a league you set-up a bit more detail maybe on plans for scoring but i get the general idea :)

I think your advice is spot on too, apart from a few by the end of last season there were a lot more WR than RB at the top of the scoring.

I'll always draft Rogers or Drew if they are available think that goes without saying the patriots QB was gold too last season.

Capper

Quote from: monstrum on June 15, 2012, 10:40:42 PM

there are sketchers on youtube but no episodes, you can download them though

monstrum

I like the sounds of ur minus points. I got the NY jets series havnt got to it yet, im watchin the bengals atm, its ok but think the others will b better

Mat0369

Stafford could be worthy of a first round pick this season as well (maybe pick 12 in a 12 team league). In my PPR league last season the top 5 fantasy players were QB's (4 points per TD -2 per INT). It is not the most QB friendly scoring system but the rankings were like this for the top 10

1. Brees 435
2. Rodgers 431
3. Brady 406
4. Newton 393
5. Stafford 383
6. Ray Rice 359
7. Calvin Johnson 350
8. Wes Welker 328
9. Eli Manning 325
10. Gronkowski 323

These include week 17 (most leagues don't run their playoffs in week 17 due to players being rested) so guys like McCoy who finished 11th and Rodgers who was rested played one less game fantasy wise.

I personally do not use the QB in the first strategy and try and steal depth at RB early but looking purely at the numbers it might be worth a punt this year.

I am looking at the NFL.com fantasy section player rankings right now. I might have to disagree with one of those RB's who I think won't produce this season like they did last year. I have a very good reason for it. Lets see if anyone can guess who it is

Mat0369

Quote from: monstrum on June 16, 2012, 01:10:50 AM
I like the sounds of ur minus points. I got the NY jets series havnt got to it yet, im watchin the bengals atm, its ok but think the others will b better

Rex Ryan was supposed to be very entertaining. I think he drops the F bomb every second word

Colliwobblers

mcfadden,pederson,charles,johnson and forte i might stay away from :)  injury reasons mainly

i'm surprised gore is down where he is

the top 3 are no brainers lock and load if your lucky enough to get one.

Mat0369

One of those top 3 is the one I am worried about.

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 16, 2012, 01:35:09 AM
One of those top 3 is the one I am worried about.

i must start reading you know something i don't they were all great last season, is it contract, health, or in team competition for carries?

give me a clue :)

Mat0369

Left tackle is the clue, I don't think people are going to understand how big a loss this is going to be

Capper

Quote from: Mat0369 on June 16, 2012, 01:14:19 AM
Quote from: monstrum on June 16, 2012, 01:10:50 AM

Rex Ryan was supposed to be very entertaining. I think he drops the F bomb every second word
where can you download/watch them from?? cant find many eps