Main Menu

FanFooty Favourite Beer

Started by monstrum, June 10, 2012, 03:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c4v3m4n

First things first, I am a massive beer snob. I've been lucky enough to sample so many exotic and unique beers it's not funny and I am so much better for it. Once you've expanded your beer horizons, there is no going back to any old beer like Carlton Draught.

My suggestion (if you're from Melbourne) is to head to Deja Vu (bar) in Little Lonsdale St or to the Local Taphouse (bar) in St. Kilda, or head to Purvis Beer (store) in Richmond or the Acland St Cellars (store) in St Kilda and just pick up some new beers!  ;D

So without futher ado, let me share my favourite beers.

My top 5 favourite beers (in no particular order):

1. Red/White Christmas by Mikkeller - Good story behind how I came across this beer. The bar mentioned above, Deja Vu have $6 pint nights on Wednesday (best night to go there for obvious reasons) and one night, the had this beer on tap. It's an 8% Red Ale-Wheat Beer hybrid, and at $6, that's the best value beer I've encountered since Geelong Bitter at Public Bar. Oh, that brings back memories. Not good ones though. Anyway, naturally,  I gave it a try, and for the rest of the night, I drank nothing else. This was a fantastic find. It's so delicious! But the best thing about this beer was the acute pine needle taste it had. It truly felt like you were sitting right next to a real Christmas tree, breathing it in. Amazing.
2. Weihenstephaner Vitus - It was once voted, the "Best Beer in the World" by a panel of experts and I can see why. This is one hell of a awesome beer. Easy drinking, tastes frigging amazing and is best drunk from a stein (cause stein's are awesome). Weihenstephaner is the oldest continuously working brewery in the world, close to 1,000 years old, so they've definitely had a lot of time perfecting their beers and this one is no exception. If you live in Melbourne you can find this at the Hofbrauhous and is very reasonably priced, so there is no excuse to try this amazing beer (unless you're underage). Plus they have 1 litre steins there too. ;)
3. Les Trois Mousquetaires' Grand Curvee Porter Baltique - Try saying this name 10-times fast. :P This porter is amazing to have alongside any barbecued meat. The beer has this sweet, yet smoky taste that just keeps you wanting more. This was one of the first exotic beers I tasted and boy, did I get lucky. It's quite a delicious dark beer but be careful, it hides its 10% alcoholic-content a little too well... ;)
4. Guinness - My perennial favourite. Nothing beats a pint of the good-old black stuff. :D Plus, it's much more readily available than the others.
5. Sink the Bismark by BrewDog - Now this one is out-of-this world. I was incredibly incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to try this particular beer (fairly long story for another time). This beer once held the record for the "strongest beer" on the planet. It's a 42% (yeah, you read right) beer, that retails for $200 a bottle. Wow, was it strong and was it unlike I've ever tasted. It goes down more like cough syrup (it's that thick), it'll burn your throat and leave a long Vegemite-like aftertaste, but its one hell of an experience. If you ever get the chance like I did, make sure you try it.

My top 5 Australian Beers (again, in no particular order):

1. Holgate Temptress - Well, if I was to name a favourite, this would be my favourite. I love to think of this beer like the Coco Pops ad, " It's just like a chocolate milkshake, only alcoholic!". While the thought of a chocolate milkshake style beer might sound inviting at first, find this beer and you can thank me later. ;) Abso-frigging-lutely amazingly awesome.
2. Little Creatures Pale Ale - Apart from Guinness, this is as close to a mass-produced beer I come nowadays. Little Creatures make amazing beers and are very readily available. Their pale ale is definitely my favourite. Tasty, easy drinking, reasonably priced, it ticks all of my boxes. Love this beer. The Little Creatures Dining Hall in Fitzroy is a must as well.
3. Bellarine Brewing Company Mussel Stout - You're probably thinking, "surely this isn't made with real mussels?". Oh, but it is. And since my love for seafood is almost equal to my love for beer, this beer is a match made in heaven for me. ;D So if you're a lover of seafood and beer like me, be sure to try this. Maybe alongside some crayfish with butter sauce as well.  ::)
4. Grand Ridge Brewery Supershine - Grand Ridge has a soft spot in my hard as the Brewery isn't far away from where I grew up in Gippsland. Always been a big fan of their beer, but the Supershine takes the cake for me. It's an 11% Strong English Barley-wine style beer (that's a mouthful) and it's not kidding, it's definitely strong, but so delicious at the same time.
5. Barecove Radler - Best summer beer IMO, closely followed by James Squire's Golden Ale. Best way to think of this beer is it's a Corona and Lime. Yep, a lime/lemon-infused beer that is amazingly refreshing. Come summer, pick up a slab, grab some friends, head to the beach and let the good times roll. I know I will.

There are so many others that I wish I could include... :-\

...but seriously, go out and try something new. I'm looking at you who ever voted for Carlton Draught. 8)

DO IT!

Capper

were you really drinking the beer if you can remember them and how to spell them. i was and cant remember how to spell half of them let alone remember what they were called

Ziplock

Stop looking at me c4, I'm a poor university student who spends over 60 hours a week combined at uni and travelling, and doesn't have time for a job :P

tabs... take pictures :P

Capper

mate this was in the late 90s
digital cameras were expensive
nobody really had a mobile and they didnt have cameras in them
not like today

i know mind blowing stuff

coolfugitiv0

How has Corona not got more votes?

Corona all the way!

RiOtChEsS

Voted Little Creatures, nectar of the gods... as is Fat Yak ;)

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Ziplock on June 11, 2012, 01:37:17 AM
Stop looking at me c4, I'm a poor university student who spends over 60 hours a week combined at uni and travelling, and doesn't have time for a job :P

Then in its hayday, the Public Bar would have been right up your alley. $4-5 jugs of Geelong Bitter on Monday nights. Was a big favourite with the uni crowd. Unfortunately, it closed for good a couple of months ago. :'(

As I mentioned before, go to Deja Vu, $6 pints of international and local craft beer on Wednesday nights. It's cheap and you get to try some wicked new beers! Plus, I'll usually be kicking around there too! ;D

Quote from: tabs on June 11, 2012, 01:36:14 AM
were you really drinking the beer if you can remember them and how to spell them. i was and cant remember how to spell half of them let alone remember what they were called

Yes, really, really. Usually, I'll note the name of the beer on my phone, makes it easy to remember it. Of course, there are those beers, that you don't need to write down, because there is no way you're gonna forget it. :D

valkorum

Ringo

Could not be an unfaithful Qlder and note vote XXXX. You know that is how we queenslanders spelt beer in the early days.

valkorum

Quote from: Ringo on June 11, 2012, 12:17:30 PM
Could not be an unfaithful Qlder and note vote XXXX. You know that is how we queenslanders spelt beer in the early days.

I could say the same and vote for Bush Chook (Emu Export) but I would rather drink cats piss -- and I think XXXX tastes worse than Wife Beaters (Emu Export)

c4v3m4n

Quote from: valkorum on June 11, 2012, 12:26:04 PM
Quote from: Ringo on June 11, 2012, 12:17:30 PM

I could say the same and vote for Bush Chook (Emu Export) but I would rather drink cats piss -- and I think XXXX tastes worse than Wife Beaters (Emu Export)

Not to mention it's midstrength. ::)

valkorum

I assume you are talking about XXXX Gold - I believe that is a midstrength.  Bush Chook is 4.4%

c4v3m4n

Quote from: valkorum on June 11, 2012, 12:37:55 PM
I assume you are talking about XXXX Gold - I believe that is a midstrength.  Bush Chook is 4.4%

I was talking bout XXXX.  ;)

Ringo

I was referring to the good old days for those of us old enough to remember xxxx Bitter.  Good drop and from memory 9% content.  Gold and Lite have no comparison so much so that Corona is now a favourite.

Ziplock

Quote from: c4v3m4n on June 11, 2012, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: Ziplock on June 11, 2012, 01:37:17 AM

Then in its hayday, the Public Bar would have been right up your alley. $4-5 jugs of Geelong Bitter on Monday nights. Was a big favourite with the uni crowd. Unfortunately, it closed for good a couple of months ago. :'(

As I mentioned before, go to Deja Vu, $6 pints of international and local craft beer on Wednesday nights. It's cheap and you get to try some wicked new beers! Plus, I'll usually be kicking around there too! ;D

Quote from: tabs on June 11, 2012, 01:36:14 AM

Yes, really, really. Usually, I'll note the name of the beer on my phone, makes it easy to remember it. Of course, there are those beers, that you don't need to write down, because there is no way you're gonna forget it. :D
live in sydney c4 :P