Main Menu

Umpire

Started by AFEV, June 09, 2012, 11:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elephants

Just saw the replay.

Sorry, I think the ump made the right call in regard to Dempsey running around the mark.

Would have won $150 bucks if the ump let him have his shot :-\

monstrum

He probly wouldnt hav even kicked a goal anyway, is he even capable of kicking the distance?

Ziplock

that's a fair point. If he was comfortable with that distance he would
a) be a forward :P
b) would have taken the mark :P

Ziplock

just watched the highlights from the 4th, sensational effort by the bombers.

but, he obviously played on.

PowerBug

He played on, sorry dons fans, was a great game of footy though. Ump had to stay to his word, he did signal play on as the siren was going, and Dempsey's intention was to play on. I would've liked to see a kick after the siren too, but the rules are rules, and he played on. :(

As fletch said, from 2-15 you put yourself in a very difficult position to win a footy game.

TheHanger

whew, okay, deep breath...

few things to cover here:

firstly and most obviously,
in my opinion Dempsey did not play on, if you watch the vision along with the siren noise and really concentrate you can see the ump calls play on after the siren, which is impossible, logically if Sam hasn't played on when the siren goes and then stops as early as he can he gets to take the kick - so if you really look at it properly it makes sense that Dempsey should get the kick, not because he didn't play on but because the siren went before he did, also before he could get the kick away so the siren changed everything

secondly
dempsey was definitely NOT going to kick to Watson, he knew he had less than 5 left so I believe he was going for goal

that leads me to say he is one of the best kicks at Essendon and could easily have made the distance from 50, or even the 55 metre set shot

now:
Sam Newman is right 2:15 is absolutely disgraceful and alot of those were very gettable set shots, honestly we had about 5 more scoring shots than Sydney. They have the week off, have an easy training of 2 hours non stop shots on goal from everywhere (except 50 out, poor Zaha)

Inside 50s: The forwards are 50% to blame for the extremely low inside 50 to goal ratio, but the entries are so wasteful that they may as well have just picked out and kicked to Ted Richards, I commented during the game "They still think he is playing for Essendon". Instead of bombing it long they need to go back to rounds 1-6 and start picking out Crameri and Hurls

Tom Bellchambers:
Back to Bendigo for  Belly, it was pointed out in the AFL article, he has only taken a quarter of his marks inside 50, 7 in all his games. Honestly he is a good tapworker but at the moment needs to work on being a forward. He stuffs up Paddy Ryder as well, Paddy should be getting 75% of the ruckwork, and my man David Hille being a forward and ruck for 25%. Stick Hurley into defense for some quality rebound 50s (Hooker hang your head mate, disgraceful), have Hille as a forward/ruck and have gumby and crameri in there as well. Bellchambers is still behind Hille for now, Hille is a good ruckman but a real good fwd while at the moment Bellchambers is not a forward.

Next holding the ball:
It is pretty clear every ump has a different interpretation and it is deplorable, honestly they need to fix this before it gets out of control! oh wait.
I believe real prior opportunity needs to be given, this means not just gathering the ball but having seeing an option and rejecting it. When the ball is pinned it is a ball up! enough of pinning players for HTB because they don't pretend to try and knock it out
but there is too much congestion!!!well there is a good way of fixing that!!! give the players more time before pinning them HTB and they will not be rushed into ineffective disposal, i.e. handballing to a player who gets tackled instantly causing a stoppage. If players are confident taking an extra second to dispose they will hit targets with kicks and handballs and the games will run smoother.

i think I covered everything, thank me later bouys

Ziplock

I'm sorry, I watched that like three times, and even read a thing from the umpiring association. He was clearly playing on, and the umpire called it. Fact is, he knew there was minimal time left (I think they said they knew at the last stoppage there was 45 seconds left), to kick a goal that important from 55 out, you're not just going to run up and boot it, you need to take your time and line it up when you know you have only a couple of second left.

CrowsFan

Clearly was playing on hanger.

Plus your argument that he played on after the siren is also invalid considering once the siren goes if he plays on it's over. So even if he did play on after the siren and not before it's the same result

ossie85

Quote from: TheHanger on June 14, 2012, 12:25:50 AM

whew, okay, deep breath...

few things to cover here:

firstly and most obviously,
in my opinion Dempsey did not play on, if you watch the vision along with the siren noise and really concentrate you can see the ump calls play on after the siren, which is impossible, logically if Sam hasn't played on when the siren goes and then stops as early as he can he gets to take the kick - so if you really look at it properly it makes sense that Dempsey should get the kick, not because he didn't play on but because the siren went before he did, also before he could get the kick away so the siren changed everything

Sorry Hanger, it is not impossible to play on after the siren, or for the umpire to call play on after the siren. As CF said, either before or after the siren, game over.

Essendon, Sydney, the umpires, the media, most fans say it was play on. Was unfortunate, but he did.

Cookie Monster

Hanger,

1. He did play on.
2. We had no right to win the way we were playing the whole game.
3. WHY THE flower ARE YOU SHAMING HOOKER!

He was one of our best on Saturday, and he has been all year, no, it's no lt like ah it's okay, we have Hooker there, but he takes the number 1 defender for us, no, Fletcher does not. And he plays great week in week out.

pyronerd

One thing that stands out to me from this, is that it may be the death of the long bomb to win the game after the siren. The game is so fast paced these days, that, with a very short period of time left on the clock, most if not all players elect to play on immediately if they are outside normal kicking distance, meaning that a player won't get the chance to hear the siren before they play on. This was illustrated in this case, as Dempsey got the ball with about 1 second on the clock, went to play on straight away, and thus didn't get a chance to have a kick after the siren. 

monstrum

Quote from: pyronerd on June 14, 2012, 07:22:07 PM
One thing that stands out to me from this, is that it may be the death of the long bomb to win the game after the siren. The game is so fast paced these days, that, with a very short period of time left on the clock, most if not all players elect to play on immediately if they are outside normal kicking distance, meaning that a player won't get the chance to hear the siren before they play on. This was illustrated in this case, as Dempsey got the ball with about 1 second on the clock, went to play on straight away, and thus didn't get a chance to have a kick after the siren. 

i think probly more he just knew he couldn't kick the distance so need to get around the mark...

it's kinda like its hard wired into players now though to play on, u see alot they just play on with the backwards handball when it was no advangtage at all sometimes disadvantage or turnover, but you can kinda see it was just a reflex to play on immediately

TheHanger

Quote from: Ziplock on June 14, 2012, 12:36:07 AM
I'm sorry, I watched that like three times, and even read a thing from the umpiring association. He was clearly playing on, and the umpire called it. Fact is, he knew there was minimal time left (I think they said they knew at the last stoppage there was 45 seconds left), to kick a goal that important from 55 out, you're not just going to run up and boot it, you need to take your time and line it up when you know you have only a couple of second left.

Zaharakis ANZAC day, dempsey was going for goal definitely

Quote from: Cookie Monster on June 14, 2012, 06:58:42 PM
Hanger,

1. He did play on.
2. We had no right to win the way we were playing the whole game.
3. WHY THE flower ARE YOU SHAMING HOOKER!

He was one of our best on Saturday, and he has been all year, no, it's no lt like ah it's okay, we have Hooker there, but he takes the number 1 defender for us, no, Fletcher does not. And he plays great week in week out.

hooker played crap, kept turning the ball over out of defense, had 5 clangers and only had 4 rebound 50s from 23 disposals