Main Menu

WAFL Drug Policy

Started by Cicjose, May 28, 2012, 08:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=137115

does this have to be looked at again........

the 4th player inside 2 years to be banned at WAFL level for drug offences

Cicjose

tbagrocks

I'd be certain that most high paid sports face similar issues and it won't simply, go away

Ziplock

I feel sorry for this bloke- in his case, I really dont think he knew it was a performance enhancer, or that it was banned, like to me it just looked like he was trying to buy some diet pills to just trim off excess fat...

ignorance was apparently no defense to the ASADA though.

I agree with his statement about the poor VFL drug awareness program- I really dont think what he did was intentional... which is sad.

Ricochet

Don't get me started on the WAFLs drug policy.... How a player can take a cold and flu tablet (Casserly) and get the same ban as a player who takes steroids (Cadwallader) still frustrates me.

Grazz

Quote from: Ricochet on January 12, 2013, 02:48:38 PM
Don't get me started on the WAFLs drug policy.... How a player can take a cold and flu tablet (Casserly) and get the same ban as a player who takes steroids (Cadwallader) still frustrates me.

Tend to agree mate, the ignorance is no excuse rule needs to be looked at and room given for lesser/accidental oversites on a small scale where  two or three strkes see's you outed for lenghty period regarding something like a Cold & Flu tablet etc. Having a blanket rule such as Ignorance is no excuse is going to hurt alot more who have made an honest mistake or be ill advised by a parent offering their son some medicine when their crook and not thinking of the repracusions. Very harsh the example you posted.

Ricochet

Quote from: Grazz on January 12, 2013, 03:40:32 PM

Tend to agree mate, the ignorance is no excuse rule needs to be looked at and room given for lesser/accidental oversites on a small scale where  two or three strkes see's you outed for lenghty period regarding something like a Cold & Flu tablet etc. Having a blanket rule such as Ignorance is no excuse is going to hurt alot more who have made an honest mistake or be ill advised by a parent offering their son some medicine when their crook and not thinking of the repracusions. Very harsh the example you posted.
Yeh Grazz this really gets to me. Taking a cold and flu tablet and then copping a 2 year ban of any competitive sport, which also includes not being allowed on the same oval as your team mates when they are training... seriously wtf

Grazz

Quote from: Ricochet link=topic=60625.msg 960451#msg 960451 date=1357965896
Quote from: Grazz link=topic=60625.msg 960449#msg 960449 date=1357965632
Don't get me started on the WALLs drug policy.... How a player can take a cold and flu tablet (Casserly) and get the same ban as a player who takes steroids (Cadwallader) still frustrates me.

Tend to agree mate, the ignorance is no excuse rule needs to be looked at and room given for lesser/accidental oversites on a small scale where  two or three strikes See's you outed for lengthy period regarding something like a Cold & Flu tablet etc. Having a blanket rule such as Ignorance is no excuse is going to hurt a lot more who have made an honest mistake or be ill advised by a parent offering their son some medicine when their crook and not thinking of the repercussions. Very harsh the example you posted.
Yeh Grazz this really gets to me. Taking a cold and flu tablet and then copping a 2 year ban of any competitive sport, which also includes not being allowed on the same oval as your team mates when they are training... seriously wtf

It is harsh as i said and a compromise in the rule needs to developed so we are not throwing the baby out with the bath water so to speak. People do make honest mistakes still not everyone is a cheat or attempting to cheat when a rule is broken and clauses need to be introduced to protect those that make a mistake not attempt to cheat.