Main Menu

Structure Issues

Started by Cicjose, May 27, 2012, 09:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2012, 04:48:32 PM
He got 118 DT vs the Suns this year... But yeah it is a rarity...

a backman who gets 118 against the Gold Coast

you know your team is playing average when the backs rack up the numbers against the new teams

Barlow 21

IMO Cicjose you have got that analysis all wrong. Our forwardline is easily our weakest area. The ball kept being pumped in to the FWD 50 against WC and Glass ext just took easy marks over our forwards.

Defence is good with McPhee, Silvagni, Johnson, Duffield, Broughton and McPharlin rounding out a decent looking backline. B.

Midfield is very good, verging on excellent when some of our younger players develop further.
Mundy, Barlow, Hill, Fyfe, Morabito, Mzungu with Pavlich bursting in on occasions is strong.
Along with good depth (Lower) who is in good WAFL form along with high draftees Sheridan, Pitt and Forster.

Forwardline lacks a big target. Pav must play permanent FWD along with Balla, Clarke, Mayne, Pearce ?
A Cloke type player would boost our forwardline from D to B.

Capper

Quote from: Cicjose on May 28, 2012, 04:58:10 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2012, 04:48:32 PM
He got 118 DT vs the Suns this year... But yeah it is a rarity...

a backman who gets 118 against the Gold Coast

you know your team is playing average when the backs rack up the numbers against the new teams
the question should be why is the ball going to your backmen against the GC....

valkorum

Quote from: Barlow 21 on May 28, 2012, 05:08:44 PM
IMO Cicjose you have got that analysis all wrong. Our forwardline is easily our weakest area. The ball kept being pumped in to the FWD 50 against WC and Glass ext just took easy marks over our forwards.

Defence is good with McPhee, Silvagni, Johnson, Duffield, Broughton and McPharlin rounding out a decent looking backline. B.

Midfield is very good, verging on excellent when some of our younger players develop further.
Mundy, Barlow, Hill, Fyfe, Morabito, Mzungu with Pavlich bursting in on occasions is strong.
Along with good depth (Lower) who is in good WAFL form along with high draftees Sheridan, Pitt and Forster.

Forwardline lacks a big target. Pav must play permanent FWD along with Balla, Clarke, Mayne, Pearce ?

Actually I rate our midfield as the worst part.  Our midfield is delivering the ball poorly in to our forwardline.  Clarke is taller than Glass but all game they pumped the ball long and on top of his head.  A player of Glass's ilk will spoil or mark that every time.

You need to put it out in front of your forward (or to the side) so they can hold off their opponent and move towards the ball in a forward motion.  You can't win the 50/50 contests if you are moving backwards.

Our clearance work was always put it on the boot and get it forward.  This plays right in to the hands of the opposing teams zone.  You have to work it out sideways/forward/backwards to get someone in space who can then see a forward target and kick to advantage.  Its not like the old days where a quick kick forward results in a 50/50 opportunity.

Cicjose

Quote from: Barlow 21 on May 28, 2012, 05:08:44 PM

IMO we have a better structure up forward if our forwards can stop playing midfield (Ballantyne Mayne Pavlich)

those 3 make our forward line better to work with than our midfield which only has Mundy Barlow and Fyfe as mids

we need better service to the forward line that needs to include Ballantyne Mayne and Pavlich instead of plugging midfield gaps with these 3 every time we go behind

i must admit tho that we need to get at least one other key forward in the draft (if not 2) and then load up on Mids

Barlow 21

We should have got Darling :(

valkorum

Quote from: Barlow 21 on May 28, 2012, 05:24:35 PM

It wouldn't matter - our current delivery to the forward line is shower.  It doesnt matter who you put up front - if you cant kick it to them they cant mark it.

Cicjose

i would have liked Kersten instead of recruiting Menegola on the rookie list

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on May 28, 2012, 05:26:23 PM

A lot of us would - but we need midfielders as what we have aren't that good.  Why do you think Pav and Balla (our best 2 forwards) are pushing in to the middle?

elephants

Quote from: Barlow 21 on May 28, 2012, 05:24:35 PM
I'm sure the Tigers would have preferred Franklin over Tambling and the Hawks Joel Selwood over Mitchell Thorp (who?)

Cicjose

Quote from: valkorum on May 28, 2012, 05:28:23 PM

A lot of us would - but we need midfielders as what we have aren't that good.  Why do you think Pav and Balla (our best 2 forwards) are pushing in to the middle?

cause Mundy and Barlow are trying to carry our midfield and although they are getting the ball they are not doing very well finding targets when they do have it

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on May 28, 2012, 05:35:21 PM
Quote from: valkorum on May 28, 2012, 05:28:23 PM

cause Mundy and Barlow are trying to carry our midfield and although they are getting the ball they are not doing very well finding targets when they do have it

Which goes right back to my entire point in that our midfield cant hit a target, which is why we need midfielders who can

Cicjose

but our outside players (Fyfe (will play outside cause of his kicking when mora comes back hopefully) and Hill are okay kicks its just the insiders who need to clean up their disposal)

valkorum

Actually I would play Fyfe as an inside mid as his disposal isnt as good as everyone makes it out to be.  Career DE% of 60.7%

2010 - 61%
2011 - 61%
2012 - 57%

But he does have brilliant hands in close and can mark anything.

Everyone is having a go at Barlow and Ballantyne DE% and they are both running at 62% (higher than Fyfe)

Cicjose

his marking IMO is just like Sandilands tho.... sort of a bailout from a kick-in

if we for example went something like a kick out by Broughton to Sandilands and a handpass to Duffield to kick to fyfe who marks then kicks to Pavlich......

IMO we would become predictable very quickly

i understand where you come from but his marking ability is something we we need atm when trying to spread from a  clearance.... and although is clearance work is first rate we need that marking ability

http://www.bigpondsport.com/where-freo-is-going-wrong/tabid/91/newsid/88924/default.aspx

not pleasant reading.............