Main Menu

Structure Issues

Started by Cicjose, May 27, 2012, 09:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cicjose

well today has been an annihilation.......  :'(

we have some real issues going forward in particular what our best midfield combination is and our forward line structure which without Pavlich seems to be non existent

okay so im going to try and be constructive in criticism whilst still trying to work out why things aren't working........

first i will start with the backline.......

the best backline i reckon we have is........

Van Berlo Silvagni Johnson
Duffield McPharlin Broughton

the 3 talls in Silvagni Mcpharlin and Johnson with the good kicking skills of broughton and Van Berlo

seems to be an okay balance IMO

depth = Mcphee Suban Grover Roberton Ibbotson Dawson Faulks

Defence = C good enough to beat most teams but tends to wilt under relentless pressure and depth in this area is okay

Midfield

this is where we struggle the most......

Barlow, Mundy,(inside)
Fyfe, Morabito, Hill(outside)

Barlow Mundy and Fyfe seem to do enough to be automatically included most weeks but after these 3
the quality of the midfielders declines a great deal with not enough clearance winners and too many people charged with the job of stopping opposition players rather than getting the ball themselves.

depth = Crowley, Lower, Mzungu, Crichton, Roberton, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Forster, Spurr, Roberts, Schloithe

Midfield = D with the lack of depth after our best 3 midfielders who can take a game on when the best 3 are struggling we look very vulnerable if we dont get first hands on the ball from a stoppage

Forwards

without Pavlich we are toothless and barely able to get a mark inside fifty

Mayne Bradley Ballantyne
Mellington Pavlich Walters

depth = Pearce Anthony Crozier Pitt Michie, Menegola, Wilson King

Forwards = C best area on the ground for us if Pavlich stays in there permanently but without Pavlich we are toothless and it becomes pretty poor....

Rucks

Sandilands Best bigman in the game who should be winning most clearances

Griffin a very serviceable backup

Clarke is learning to be a ruckman and forward target instead of learning to ruck then becoming a forward target after learning his trade

Rucks = B only because Sandilands has been so dominant for so long without Sandilands we look less predictable in the centre clearances but around the ground we get smashed

Bench:
Best of the rest
1 mid, 1 forward, 1 back Sub: 1 mid

IMO Best team structure:

B: Van Berlo Silvagni Johnson
HB: Duffield McPharlin Broughton
C: Fyfe Morabito Hill
HF: Mayne Bradley Ballantyne
F: Mellington Pavlich Walters
Foll: Sandilands, Barlow, Mundy

Bench:
Mcphee, Mzungu, Griffin SUB: Neale

Crowley probably in for experience Ibbotson would get lots of games when fit, Roberton is good at breaking the lines, Pearce is a rookie getting games as a rookie elevation but the forward depth is really poor IMO

Colliwobblers

Morabito almost assured to come in next week can't hurt?

I think the season is a write off and anything they achieve is a bonus, the real objective being to get the team learning to play the way Lyons wants them to.

Think you have the personel especially with Fyfe back to feature in finals once Lyons gets the team to click with his game plan.

I'm still wondering what Lyons thoughts are on Sandi. Truth is they win more clearances without him in the ruck and Lyons is obviously not happy to just put his head in the sand while Sandi keeps winning 40+ hitouts to opposition advantage?

What next....

elephants

Objective has to be: Make finals. Anything above that is an improvement on last year.

Eagles on the other hand ;D

valkorum

Where do I start with this?

Let me go with my best 22. 

B: Spurr - Dawson - Silvagni
HB: McPhee - McPharlin - Johnson
C: Hill - Fyfe - Morabito
HF: DeBoer - Pav - Mayne
F: Neale - Clarke - Ballantyne
R: Sandi - Barlow - Mundy

Bench: Lower - Pearce - Broughton
Sub: Roberton

* I would really like to hear why you think JVB is in our best 22 when most supporters think he will be de-listed at the end of this season.
* How is McPhee not in our best 22 - he has been a shining light this year (along with Johnson)

elephants

Valk... Where's Duffield??

Capper

Quote______________________________________

Midfield

Barlow, Mundy,(inside)

Barlow Mundy and Fyfe seem to do enough to be automatically included most weeks but after these 3
the quality of the midfielders declines a great deal with not enough clearance winners and too many people charged with the job of stopping opposition players rather than getting the ball themselves.

depth = Crowley, Lower, Mzungu, Crichton, Roberton, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Forster, Spurr, Roberts, Schloithe

Midfield = D with the lack of depth after our best 3 midfielders who can take a game on when the best 3 are struggling we look very vulnerable if we dont get first hands on the ball from a stoppage

Also good to hear that Morabito isnt to far away

valkorum

Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2012, 01:34:32 PM

Traded.  He has a great kick (left and right) but is soft in the 1 on 1 contests.

elephants

Quote from: valkorum on May 28, 2012, 02:21:44 PM
Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2012, 01:34:32 PM

Traded.  He has a great kick (left and right) but is soft in the 1 on 1 contests.

Agree. Good player but not prepared to do the hard stuff. Would get a fair bit for him imo. You have contacts with Ross? I'd have a word.

Cicjose

Quote from: tabs on May 28, 2012, 01:42:54 PM
Quote______________________________________

Midfield

Barlow, Mundy,(inside)

Also good to hear that Morabito isnt to far away

i like Van Berlo's kicking style....... sue me

i knew i was missing some names haha

tabs he would be ahead of Crichton

Mcphee is on the bench only because we have a tall back line with Johnson McPharlin and Silvagni Valk and Mcphee can fill holes in most places on the ground so he can be on the bench to do that also;

don't want to have 4 talls on the field down back too often (maybe against WCE)

elephants

Also Valk no Ibbotson? Thought he was alright?

valkorum

@CJ -- McPhee plays small (see his effort against Milne earlier this year).  Johnson has been playing as loose tall floating in to gaps (Scarlett, Fletcher) - I think that setup works.

@ele -- Nope, no Ibbo - he has had a good 5 years to show me something and has shown me nothing.

elephants

Fair enough. Supremely inconsistent from what I've seen.

Doesn't see the ball all game to racking up huge numbers... Then gone again.

valkorum

Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2012, 03:53:07 PM
Fair enough. Supremely inconsistent from what I've seen.

Doesn't see the ball all game to racking up huge numbers... Then gone again.

I can only remember a few games where he racked up big numbers and that was when he came back from injury at the beginning of last year. 

elephants

He got 118 DT vs the Suns this year... But yeah it is a rarity...

valkorum

Quote from: elephants on May 28, 2012, 04:48:32 PM
He got 118 DT vs the Suns this year... But yeah it is a rarity...

Really - he was hardly noticed (by me) in doing so.