Main Menu

this years draft

Started by blue, May 18, 2012, 02:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue

for a start i dont think this will happen, but what if melbourne finishes on bottom of the ladder? does gws still have extra picks or are we back to normal?

CrowsFan

It's back to normal this year

Spite

Quote from: blue on May 18, 2012, 02:56:46 PM
for a start i dont think this will happen, but what if melbourne finishes on bottom of the ladder? does gws still have extra picks or are we back to normal?

Melbourne I believe will have picks 1 and 2 if they finish last as they activated their compensation picks. It will also leave them with picks ~8 or 9 (mid round 1 compo) and I think another double pick at the start of the second round.

I believe they have to draft Viney as father-son this year (as they busted his jaw and he is playing in their vfl via special permission) and they can't use a compo pick on him (that is the rules) so if a club bids on Viney (they will, it will make Melb have to use a higher pick), then barring picks acquired from trades, Viney will go pick 1 to the Dees.

That's assuming dees finish on bottom if they come second then they get picks 2 and 3 or third they get picks 3 and 4 etc...

meow meow

The draft this year is interesting. Melbourne could have a massive draft.

5 clubs have compo picks, and GWS can still trade another two 17 year olds.

If Melbourne finish last they'll only have to use their 2nd round pick on Viney, as compo picks don't count. They could easily get Whitfield at number 1, have selection #2 and #13 and pick up Viney at #24.

The mini draft is down to 3 players probably - Jack Martin, Luke McDonald and Jesse Hogan. McDonald can go to NM in 2013 if he chooses to, as a father-son selection.

If the ladder doesn't change the draft order will be:

1 - Melbourne
2 - Melbourne (Scully 1st round compo)
3 - Gold Coast
4 - GWS
5 - Port
6 - Brisbane
7 - Richmond
8 - North
9 - Western Bulldogs
10 - Western Bulldogs (Ward 1st round compo)
11 - Geelong
12 - St Kilda
13 - Melbourne (Scully mid 1st round compo)
14 - Freo
15 - Carlton
16 - Hawthorn
17 - Collingwood - can take James Stewart f/s, may slip to 2nd round
18 - Sydney
19 - Essendon - will take Joe Daniher f/s - BARGAIN!
20 - Adelaide
21 - GWS (Phil Davis 1st round compo pick - traded to GWS in the Crouch trade)
22 - West Coast
23 - Brisbane (Rischitelli end of 1st round compo)

Round 2
24 - Melbourne
25 - GC
26 - GWS
27 - PA
28 - Richmond (Nathan Krakouer 2nd round compo pick - traded to Rich)
29 - BL
30 - Rich
31 - NM
32 - WB
33 - Geel
34 - Stk
35 - Frem
36 - Carl
37 - Haw
38 - Coll
39 - Syd
40 - Ess
41 - Ade
42 - WC

Round 3
43 - Melb...

2013 Number 1 pick - James Aish

elephants

Bloody hell, no pick for us until 22 and then until 42.

Can see the Lions being a pretty strong team in the next 3-6 years!!

Port looking at getting the cursed pick 5!

meow meow

Quote from: Spite on May 22, 2012, 02:17:44 AM

I believe they have to draft Viney as father-son this year (as they busted his jaw and he is playing in their vfl via special permission) and they can't use a compo pick on him (that is the rules) so if a club bids on Viney (they will, it will make Melb have to use a higher pick), then barring picks acquired from trades, Viney will go pick 1 to the Dees.

That's wrong. If a rival club bids on a player, the eligible team has to use their next available pick on them. If Melbourne get pick 1, no team can bid on Viney before them.

Gold Coast can put in a bid at #3, forcing Melbourne to use their next available pick. It's not #11 since compo picks don't count. Their next pick would be #24.

The Melbourne 2012 tank is well and truly worth it. Viney is probably the 6th best player in the draft so it will be interesting to see what happens if they don't finish last.

blue

i cant remember if i heard this or not but isn't this year ment to be a cracking draft?

elephants

Quote from: blue on May 23, 2012, 05:31:50 PM
i cant remember if i heard this or not but isn't this year ment to be a cracking draft?

Apparently yeah!

valkorum

Quote from: meow meow on May 22, 2012, 06:28:16 PM

That's wrong. If a rival club bids on a player, the eligible team has to use their next available pick on them. If Melbourne get pick 1, no team can bid on Viney before them.

Gold Coast can put in a bid at #3, forcing Melbourne to use their next available pick. It's not #11 since compo picks don't count. Their next pick would be #24.

The Melbourne 2012 tank is well and truly worth it. Viney is probably the 6th best player in the draft so it will be interesting to see what happens if they don't finish last.

If Melbourne do get the #1 pick the wouldnt waste it on Viney. 

Lets say your ladder is correct (obviously it could be different at the end of the season).  If GC bid for Viney with their #3 pick, then Melbourne must use pick#13 on Viney.  They would still get the top 2 players in the country and then get Viney for a steal at #13.  The only issue is that they pick correctly for those top 2 players (Watts vs NicNat)

MTTY

Quote from: valkorum on May 23, 2012, 05:47:57 PM

Lets say your ladder is correct (obviously it could be different at the end of the season).  If GC bid for Viney with their #3 pick, then Melbourne must use pick#13 on Viney.  They would still get the top 2 players in the country and then get Viney for a steal at #13.  The only issue is that they pick correctly for those top 2 players (Watts vs NicNat)

I agree Valk, have to get those picks right. At the moment Whitfield looks like the one we must take. no.2 pick is wide open though.

elephants

Is it too early for a phantom draft to be available?

meow meow

Compensation picks aren't able to be used on a father-sons. It would be their round 2 pick that they'd have to give up, which would see Viney become even more of a steal.

I'm saying no club can put a bid in earlier than pick 1 (obviously) so Melbourne would be free to use that pick on Whitfield and be in no danger of someone else getting Viney, because Melbourne can take him with their 2nd round pick under father-son.

MTTY

Quote from: meow meow on May 23, 2012, 08:43:13 PM

Compensation picks aren't able to be used on a father-sons. It would be their round 2 pick that they'd have to give up, which would see Viney become even more of a steal.

I'm saying no club can put a bid in earlier than pick 1 (obviously) so Melbourne would be free to use that pick on Whitfield and be in no danger of someone else getting Viney, because Melbourne can take him with their 2nd round pick under father-son.

Who do you see going at pick 2, meow?

In my opinion at the moment someone like Vlastuin or perhaps Toumpas (with his versatility). Jake Stringer is an emerging talent as well.

elephants

Toumpas is a gun from what I've heard!

MTTY

Quote from: elephants on May 23, 2012, 09:57:35 PM
Toumpas is a gun from what I've heard!

Yes he very much is.