Median v Average...

Started by ReltonR, May 16, 2012, 06:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReltonR

Hi guys,

Why is there so much importance chucked on the Average in AFL fantasy comps...

Surly the Median is the more relevant one..

Therefore how come the median is not available on any websites and all we see are Averages.

Cheers Cuz
ReltonR - Off the smokes and killing it in Darwin

Holz

i would disagree, for people who go for overall the median means nothing as all you want is for them to score the whole season.  I would say the S.D is more important than the median score and would agree that would be nice to see for people who go for league. But normally you can tell if a player scores all over the place.

TheHanger

Quote from: ReltonR on May 16, 2012, 06:13:48 PM
Hi guys,

Why is there so much importance chucked on the Average in AFL fantasy comps...

Surly the Median is the more relevant one..

Therefore how come the median is not available on any websites and all we see are Averages.

Cheers Cuz
ReltonR - Off the smokes and killing it in Darwin

do you mean for teams or players

i think average is much more relevant than median, especially early on, plus you can get something as good as median with standard deviation

Scrads

If your player goes 150, 50, 150, 50, 150, 50 etc etc for 22 rounds it is exactly the same as going 100, 100, 100, 100, 100 in a sense of overall points. Therefore I think the average is much more useful...

ReltonR

Cheers for the replies there,

Some stuff I hadnt taken into consideration for sure..

It came up as I am doing stats for the 15 main players in each club, and I noticed that with the Sub rule in place now and players getting injured It stuffs up the average...

But like you have said, you can get a fair reflection by the Stand Div...

Cheers for ya help guys
ReltonR

The_Captain

average is definately a better performance indicator on a league. Median is useless..

ReltonR

Im doing it for my Dream Team,

But have also noticed that a few betting agencies offer betting on dream team player over/unders...

Like working out if Franklin will go over 100 points or not, I understand that average is the best guide over a season, but on one off games would the median be the better guide?

The_Captain

maybe past performances against that side would be better indicator. or past 3-5 games would again be better performance indicators..

ReltonR

Thanks Noto,

Yeah in my sheet I have Last 5/10/20 With AVE/MED...also how they have gone against each side...

Just hate updating it each week!!

Cheers foe the info

Relton

The_Captain

Looks like some good info you will have compiled there. Good luck mate!

Holz

Quote from: noto07 on May 16, 2012, 09:05:00 PM
maybe past performances against that side would be better indicator. or past 3-5 games would again be better performance indicators..

the thing with that wont it only help with captain selections as its likely the guys your picking ion the bench are rookies so will have no past experience. I t would be helpful to know a players last 3 scores against the teams if your planning on a late season upgrade.

ossie85

Quote from: Scrads on May 16, 2012, 07:39:27 PM
If your player goes 150, 50, 150, 50, 150, 50 etc etc for 22 rounds it is exactly the same as going 100, 100, 100, 100, 100 in a sense of overall points. Therefore I think the average is much more useful...

I don't understand Scrads? Both the median and average would give the same result. What would be useful there is standard deviation.

Median is nearly always superior to average, in just about everything.

Scrads

Well yes it would, but its a bad example. Let me do it this way.

The player scores:

140, 60, 50, 55, 150.

The Median is 60, the average is 91.

What I am saying is average is all we should care about in DT (well, second to total points I guess).

disco1992

Quote from: Scrads on May 17, 2012, 10:18:57 PM
Well yes it would, but its a bad example. Let me do it this way.

The player scores:

140, 60, 50, 55, 150.

The Median is 60, the average is 91.

What I am saying is average is all we should care about in DT (well, second to total points I guess).
i disagree in the case of say guerra or savage last year!
like savages average was around 80 because of 2 highly inflated 170s the rest were around the 60 mark so if its selecting the players medium is important but if you want them all year average is better

ala stevie j and chappy both average the same but people conplain that stevie j scores are inflated but by average you would pick him over chappy

TheHanger

average is good because if someone like savage gets 170 a couple of times to inflate their average, well that just reflects their ceiling

using average plus st dev is gives a perfect indication