WXV Round 8 - Pumas/Suns in Match of the Year

Started by ossie85, May 15, 2012, 09:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ossie85

The undefeated Sao Paulo Pumas - who have won every match, including the preseason - face the preseason premiership favourites the Mexico City Suns, who are on a 6 match winning streak after slipping in Round 1. These are the two highest scoring teams, and this match will go a long way to deciding the minor premiership.

Hiding in the shadows, however, are the Wellington Warriors in 3rd spot, and stand to be the beneficiaries, no matter what the result. Provided they get past the winless PNL Reindeers that is.

The Pacific Islanders have been the fairy tale story of the year so far, but there hold on 4th spot will be lost this week if they lose to the Cape Town Cobras.

Continuing this brilliant round, 6th (New Delhi) and 7th (Seoul) take on each other. New Delhi need a victory as they are on a 3 game losing streak, after being on top of the ladder only 3 rounds ago, while Seoul if they are to push for a top 4 spot, will need to win this match to put pressure on Cape Town and the Pacific.

The 8th placed Royals have had an up-and-down season, but have the chance to steady with a victory over the struggling Cairo Sands. However, Cairo have actually scored more points than London over the year, and I sense an upset.

The Beijing Bears have been solid this year, and sit just outside the top 8 in 9th spot. They take on Berlin, who would love another victory after snapping a 5 match losing streak last week.

Buenos Aires need a win. And they should get it, unless an injury plagued New York can pull off a miracle.

After Toronto upset Mexico in Round 1, things have been difficult, unable to string consecutive matches together. They will go in favourites against Dublin, who are struggling to have a full squad on the ground.

Tokyo and Moscow are sitting 3-4, with Moscow on a 3 match winning streak. 4-4 sounds much better than 3-5,  an important match for both.

Round 8

Home Team   Score      Score   Away Team   Location

Pacific Islanders   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Cape Town Cobras   Oakley Arena, Tonga
Sao Paulo Pumas   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Mexico City Suns   Estádio do Pumas
Buenos Aires Armadillos   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   New York Eagles   Estadio de River
Wellington Warriors   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Paris Nice Lyon Reindeers   The Basin Reserve
Toronto Wolves   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Dublin Destroyers   Rogers Centre, Toronto
Moscow Spetsnaz   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Tokyo Samurai   Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow
Berlin Brewers   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Beijing Bears   Olympic Stadium, Berlin
London Royals   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   Cairo Sands   Old Trafford
Seoul Magpies   0.0.0  vs.  0.0.0   New Delhi Tigers   Seoul World Cup Stadium

roo boys!

Toronto certainly struggling as of late, and as all sore losers do I blame injuries! And umpires :P

meow meow

Moscow Spetsnaz

B: Heath Shaw (c), Marty Clarke, Dustin Fletcher, James Frawley
C: Ben Sinclair, Ryan Bastinac, Tom Liberatore, Justin Sherman
R: Nic Naitanui
F: Harley Bennell, Adam Treloar, Shaun Higgins, Jonathan Brown
I: Dayne Beams, Dustin Martin

E: Tory Dickson, Will Hoskin-Elliott, Jason Blake

c4v3m4n

The Pacific Islanders Provisional Round 8 Team Sheet

DEF: Tim Mohr, Nick Smith, Matthew Jaensch, Josh Gibson
MID: Chris Judd, Simon Black, Daniel Kerr, Dion Prestia
FWD: Andrew Walker, Drew Petrie, Quinten Lynch, Sam Reid
RUC: Cameron Wood

INT: David Ellard, Lee Spurr

EMG: Tom Simpkin, Luke Delaney, Jacob Townsend

IN: Josh Gibson, Lee Spurr, Sam Reid
OUT: Tom Simpkin (omission), David Swallow (PCL strain), Todd Banfield (tibula)

CAPT: Simon Black
VCAPT: Chris Judd

CrowsFan

Hmm missing two of my top 4 defenders is definitely going to make this weeks match very tough!

I may have scored more than the Suns in total, but the Suns have out scored me in 4 of the 7 rounds. I'm just very glad I have home ground advantage cos I think it's going to be very close!

Maca24

Quote from: CrowsFan on May 16, 2012, 07:12:27 PM
Hmm missing two of my top 4 defenders is definitely going to make this weeks match very tough!

I may have scored more than the Suns in total, but the Suns have out scored me in 4 of the 7 rounds. I'm just very glad I have home ground advantage cos I think it's going to be very close!
Looking forward to it CF :)
Hopefully I have a few ins. Would love to have Hodge and Bartel back.
Goodes will still be absent though :(

Cookie Monster

Backs: Robert Murphy (VC), Paul Bower, Ben Reid, Andrew Mackie

Midfield: Brent Stanton (C) Brent Reilly, Jarrad Mcveigh, Matthew Broadbent

Ruck: Tom Bellchambers

Fowards: Michael Hurley, Jeff Garlett, Chris Mayne, Luke Bruest

Int: Stephen Hill, Danyle Pearce

Emg: Cale Morton - James Mcdonald - David Mckay

Number 1 Draft Pick Michael Hurley returns and looks to hurt teams, a few changes, Matthew Broadbent impressed in the reserves, Ricky Pettard is dissapointing and goes straight to the reserves, Stanton again gets the nod as captain with dominate performances. The Royals i feel, are on the way up with a strong looking team.

meow meow

PowerBug

I'm tempted to give some youngsters a run this weekend. :-\ Will look into the Eagles squad first, then decide whether i can afford to or not. :)

CrowsFan

c4v3m4n

This weeks match between the Pacific Islanders and the Cape Town Cobras holds more significance this week as we've jointly decided to play for the first annual UNICEF Cup. :)

More information can be found here:

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44821.msg767757.html#msg767757

ossie85

Initial team:

D: B Deledio (capt), J Gram, H O'Brien, C Yarran

M: R Griffen (v-capt), J Steven, L Anthony, J Kelly

R: B Renouf

F: P Dangerfield, L Power, Alwyn Davey, R Stanley

I: B Gibbs, J Bolton

E: T Scully, E Mackenzie, H Ballantyne

In: C Yarran, J Steven, R Stanley
Out: T Scully (omitted), E Mackenzie (omitted), H Ballantyne (omitted)

Tom Scully really needs to prove himself. Frankly, he is our 7th highest averaging midfielder, and I've lost patience. Prove you are in the best XV, and you'll be selected. Bryce Gibbs is also in the cross-hairs, and has been demoted to the bench. Another poor performance could see him represent Pyongyang.

Eric Mackenzie can consider himself desperately unlucky, however, he had only an average debut, and O'Brien and Gram impressed last week. I also rate Chris Yarran, and he deserves his spot if selected.

Hayden Ballantyne impressed with his round 1 score, but since his return from suspension has only averaged 59. Rhys Stanley and Alwyn Davey deserve their spots.

Joining the three omissions in the reserves, will be Chris Dawes and Nick Maxwell, both of whom need to find form to be considered for selection again. Matthew Scarlett has been performing well, as has Stephen Coniglio, who is putting pressure on Gibbs and Bolton.

Brett Deledio is Seoul's best preforming player this year, and has not dropped below 100 all year. Griffen has been in impressive form, but I'll give it to Lids again this week.

My Chumps

Quote from: c4v3m4n on May 17, 2012, 12:27:42 PM
This weeks match between the Pacific Islanders and the Cape Town Cobras holds more significance this week as we've jointly decided to play for the first annual UNICEF Cup. :)

More information can be found here:

http://www.fanfooty.com.au/forum/index.php/topic,44821.msg767757.html#msg767757
Wooooooo!
Bring it on!  :D