Ablett: The Saga Continues...

Started by martindc, May 09, 2012, 11:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Praetorian

Quote from: glam77 on May 09, 2012, 12:22:38 PM
Quote from: Praetorian on May 09, 2012, 12:13:32 PM
Quote from: glam77 on May 09, 2012, 12:09:00 PM
if you never traded him out and never will.... you have not lost a cent. You are keeping him for the points he scores, not his dollar value.

if you traded him out and plan on trading him back in after he loses $100k, congratulations for using 2 trades for a 100k gain. Peronally, id' want a bigger payback than $100K. I'd rather gamble 2 trades and $100k on a rookie trade with only a fraction of the risk (horsley or adams), rather than a permium trade.

The only way you gain trading him out is if he's out long term.

No, it's only one extra trade. 1 trade for 100k and Swan's output in the meantime is about right.

as per the original comment...
"if you traded him out and plan on trading him back in" = 2 trades

if you do 1 trade ablett to swan and do not consider trading him back in then i think you still scarifice the opportuntiy to have the 2 best mids in the comp in your team.

No, it's still one trade so long as you've traded in someone you would have ultimately gotten anyway. This has been covered many times before in many other threads.

Magner => Swan, keep Ablett

Vs.

Ablett => Swan, then later Magner => Ablett

You've only spent two trades if you trade Swan back for Ablett  (which no-one is going to do).

fertalong

You are very naive if you think that ablett will just camp the fwd line if the ball is always in their back half.

Will it hurt his scoring if he's moved up forward? Probably (though, it will likely increase against gws).
Will it mean he will score poorly? Not even close. He's still going to be pumping tons, but less 150's.

Lions01

Quote from: Praetorian on May 09, 2012, 12:30:05 PM
if you never traded him out and never will.... you have not lost a cent. You are keeping him for the points he scores, not his dollar value.

if you traded him out and plan on trading him back in after he loses $100k, congratulations for using 2 trades for a 100k gain. Peronally, id' want a bigger payback than $100K. I'd rather gamble 2 trades and $100k on a rookie trade with only a fraction of the risk (horsley or adams), rather than a permium trade.

No, it's only one extra trade. 1 trade for 100k and Swan's output in the meantime is about right.

if you do 1 trade ablett to swan and do not consider trading him back in then i think you still scarifice the opportuntiy to have the 2 best mids in the comp in your team.

No, it's still one trade so long as you've traded in someone you would have ultimately gotten anyway. This has been covered many times before in many other threads.

Vs.

You've only spent two trades if you trade Swan back for Ablett  (which no-one is going to do).

Agree that it really only one trade, i think basically it's a win/win for everyone the only people to really lose out will be people who traded him last week

I was forced to play Greene both weeks 90 and 122 thanks for coming (he would have been emergency only)

glam77

Vs.

ok, i see what you mean.

Lions01

Great news too, Ablett as a forward next year !!!

Think it could be a case of McKenna saying that their midfield is improving and just promoting that. Last year when Ablett came back and he did slow down but he'll be back smashing 130's again

Mr.Craig

Vs.

Plus you were getting the advantage of having a premium score for the past couple of weeks compared to what you might have got from a No.6 mid, depending on which players you have the advantage could have been 100 points plus. That's obviously chicken feed when you consider the value of a trade but I'm sure it's invaluable to people who are fighting to stay up the top in overall.

We saw in the thread listing the players that the 100 top coaches own that only 20 had Ablett. It suggests that either a fair percentage of them trading him out or that teams without him have being significantly advantaged which gives creedence to the idea that trading was beneficial...at least in the short term.

ossie85

Quote from: Lions01 on May 09, 2012, 12:40:52 PM

Think it could be a case of McKenna saying that their midfield is improving and just promoting that. Last year when Ablett came back and he did slow down but he'll be back smashing 130's again

He kicked over 40 goals in a year I think in his last year as a Cat. Unfortunately, don't think will ever happen again

Justin Bieber

That would be the first time a forward is a perminate captain.

PICCOLLO

I think he is only at 70% but they want him to play.  In order for that to happen, he will play big periods forward.  Makes sense.  He might play there for 2-3 weeks but they'll revert back when they see what value he is in the mids.  Sure they took Freo to the line without him but they nearly beat Essendon with him!!

Lions01

Quote from: ossie85 on May 09, 2012, 12:46:03 PM

He kicked over 40 goals in a year I think in his last year as a Cat. Unfortunately, don't think will ever happen again

Abletts workload will be managed over the next few weeks, last year he missed round 4 when he returned we got scores of 83,81, 84 but then went bang and went on that big run.

I really dont see him sitting in the forward line too much (probably more until he 100%) first few games this year he played big minutes in the mid. I reckon he might spend 5 minutes here and there for a rest and lose minimal midfield time.

tbagrocks

good news is he could be a fwd/mid pickup next year

Ablett next to buddy! plus 6 other mids! big scores next year

Scrads

Quote from: tbagrocks on May 09, 2012, 01:12:38 PM
good news is he could be a fwd/mid pickup next year

Ablett next to buddy! plus 6 other mids! big scores next year

Wasnt a mid/fwd after he kicked 40 goals for Geelong :/

dmod

I think people forget who we're talking about.

Prior to his injury, Gary was arguably in some of the best form of his career.

If his return from injury sees him carry on that form, it doesn't matter where he plays he will still absolutely kill it. Plus the other GC boys will still look for that shiny head and pass it to him at every chance they get.

I dont worry about whether he'll score. I only worry if he gets on the park first.

penskifile

The artical also he says he may float behind the ball or on a wing. Fit Ablett= captain every week for me no matter what position he plays!

Doyle

Instead of 40 disposals, he'll get 40 goals, it's GAJ don't worry ;)