Tanking a bye round?

Started by BC2010, May 08, 2012, 07:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BC2010

Have had an average start to the year, so much so that league wins are my only focus.

I am seriously considering stacking my team with R13 bye players - currently have 4 in the backs, 2 in mids, 1 in ruck and 6 in the forwards. Trading is now based around avoiding any donuts in R11 and R12, and having to use unnecessary trades in the bye rounds.

Looking forward to adding Murphy and Mitchell before R11.

Anyone else considering a similar strategy?

fertalong

It's worth doing if you are going for league wins because you will increases your chances to win in r11 and r12 dramatically. Not such a good idea if you're going for overall though.

jl1814

look at your opponents and see what guns they have from the bye teams - ie. in round 11, if your opponent is missing 6 guns, and you are only missing 3, this will give u a rough idea on which teams you can beat

Scrads

Does anyone else think this tactic could also be used for overall ?

Maybe getting high scores in two rounds will be enough to counteract a low score in one round, instead of trying to balance out 3 even solid scores across all 3...

SkyStud24

Quote from: Scrads on May 08, 2012, 08:33:31 PM

Maybe getting high scores in two rounds will be enough to counteract a low score in one round, instead of trying to balance out 3 even solid scores across all 3...

Theoreticaly yes, but it would need extreme preparation and calculation, oh and a fair bit of luck.
This is a stratergy my friend is using, but he planned his from the start. He has it worked out that over the 2 bye round he will score 2300, but this is dependant on the players scoring well, and rd13 he will score 1700. Giving him an average of 2100. But of course this all depends on players reaching their projected scores, and him only having 7 trades left over.

Dutchie64

I am doing exactly the same.....stacked my team with Rd13 players.

Only going for league win though

Zombie2.5

Quote from: SkyStud24 on May 08, 2012, 08:40:33 PM
Quote from: Scrads on May 08, 2012, 08:33:31 PM

Theoreticaly yes, but it would need extreme preparation and calculation, oh and a fair bit of luck.
This is a stratergy my friend is using, but he planned his from the start. He has it worked out that over the 2 bye round he will score 2300, but this is dependant on the players scoring well, and rd13 he will score 1700. Giving him an average of 2100. But of course this all depends on players reaching their projected scores, and him only having 7 trades left over.
Hmmm....
This strategy seems to rely way too much on luck. If it is for example a carnage round, he could quite easily have close or the same amount of donuts as others. He might choose a bad captain or his rooks do bad. A premo could underperform in one of these rounds. But i guess its a risk, could be rewarding.
It sounds okay for league, but kind of weird for overall.

Did you plan your team with lots of rd 13 byes or you just doing that now?
I mean you could pick the best round 13 guys, 1-2 round 12 guys and some 11's, especially rooks. Then cash out your rooks(11's especially), bench your round 12's in 12 for a full side and then cop it big time round 13.
A bit too risky in my head though..... one zero in a round you should be scoring 2100ish could totally derail your whole plan, I'm thinking... ???

T Dog

Quote from: Dutchie64 on May 08, 2012, 08:57:17 PM
I am doing exactly the same.....stacked my team with Rd13 players.

Only going for league win though
I might have to be tanking in all 3 rounds to make sure I win as many league games across the season LOL  :o No really >:(