The Cons Of Picking A Midfield Captain Vs GWS And GC

Started by Mr.Craig, May 08, 2012, 02:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Craig

So quite a few people were left disappointed on the weekend after they picked Murphy as Capt. I noticed a trend last year with teams that played GC - a lot of players scored big but there were usually one or two premiums (often in the mids) who didn't exceed their average. I see this as being due to a few of factors -

1) The ball tends to travel quickly from the backs to forwards and sometimes bypasses the midfield players altogether.

2) The "B Grade" players are given more time/space and they use it as an opportunity to hang on to the ball more and show off their skills.

3) Sometimes premiums simply don't try as hard against GWS/GC.

In summary I think picking a captain who's playing one of those teams is tinged with danger. I'm not saying people should avoid doing it entirely but it's not the obvious home run that some might believe.

Justin Bieber

Mr.Craig

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Mr.Craig on May 08, 2012, 02:45:37 PM
Quote from: whatlez on May 08, 2012, 02:43:49 PM
Pick captain who is playing good opposition.

...or Brisbane? :P

Yeah they have good mids, just shower everything else.

tbagrocks

keep it simple, Swan or Ablett every week, Stants if you got a hunch (be prepared for a 60)

Justin Bieber

Quote from: tbagrocks on May 08, 2012, 02:48:54 PM
keep it simple, Swan or Ablett every week, Stants if you got a hunch (be prepared for a 60)

Got none :(

plugz19

judd/curnow who are contested ball winners werent there so murphy had to get in closer to the contest instead of having a little more uncontested ball

this limited his linkages, marks and run forward. also probably caused him to handpass more (not sure on the stats)

fwiw if gaj was fit i would be captainign him vs gws this week (wont if he plays because of the injury cloud)

BarnDogg

Quote from: plugz19 on May 08, 2012, 02:51:42 PM
judd/curnow who are contested ball winners werent there so murphy had to get in closer to the contest instead of having a little more uncontested ball

this limited his linkages, marks and run forward. also probably caused him to handpass more (not sure on the stats)

Spot on, just had a look at the stats. He had 27 touches, 16 were handballs. He normally has more kicks than handballs. Also, only 3 marks, which is his lowest for the season.

tbagrocks

Quote from: whatlez on May 08, 2012, 02:50:53 PM

gee thats a shame Whatlez, planning to bring back Gazza soon?

Jukes

Stants, Swanny, Boyd or Ablett every week lock.

Justin Bieber

Quote from: tbagrocks on May 08, 2012, 03:11:28 PM
Quote from: whatlez on May 08, 2012, 02:50:53 PM

gee thats a shame Whatlez, planning to bring back Gazza soon?

Not this week. I'll try and get him for cheap.

browny_wce

Quote from: whatlez on May 08, 2012, 02:43:49 PM
Pick captain who is playing good opposition.
agreed.
examples:
D.Swan v Essendon
G.Ablett v Adelaide
S.Pendlebury v Hawthorn

frazzles

60 or 160? theres 116 difference between his best and worst

Windigo

Leaving it on Swan or Pendles. Too many headaches otherwise.

elephants

Premiums not trying hard vs GWS/GC... Looks at Marc :-\