Main Menu

Head Ducking

Started by Jukes, May 08, 2012, 02:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jukes

Opinions on it? Lot's of coverage...

CrowsFan

Some nice biased options to pick form Jukes. If you want a proper discussion how about putting up proper options ::)

Ziplock

I thought it encompassed most the views on head ducking, other than
'we don't do it' *shifty eyes*

I went for 1,2 and 3. Although, personally I don't agree with 1- it's certainly not cheating... since there's no rule against it. But it's also not in the spirit of the game- that much is pretty clear, and people who say otherwise are just one eyed dicks :P

PowerBug

Ziplock

that's because you're a dick :P

PowerBug

Quote from: Ziplock on May 08, 2012, 04:09:22 PM
that's because you're a dick :P
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. ;)

TheMailman

Honestly just deal with it. People just want to put down Joel Selwood and the West Coast team's success by blaming it saying its cheating or wrong.

It isn't, its never been.

There are so many people at Sydney who do it, but you aren't going to call them cheats because you don't notice it. Players like Kirk, Hayes, McGylnn, Ballantyne (he's a douche for other reasons), Jude Bolton, Kieran Jack will all fit or used to fit in this category of "Head duckers"

Yet you don't call them cheats. What is the difference between Captain Kirk ducking his head to win the ball and Captain Selwood doing it?

I'll tell you why.

You're jealous. You want Selwood in your team because of what he provides.

I'm jealous, your jealous and everybody but Geelong is jealous.

Deal with it.

valkorum

Quote from: TheMailman on May 08, 2012, 05:58:22 PM
Honestly just deal with it. People just want to put down Joel Selwood and the West Coast team's success by blaming it saying its cheating or wrong.

There are so many people at Sydney who do it, but you aren't going to call them cheats because you don't notice it. Players like Kirk, Hayes, McGylnn, Ballantyne (he's a douche for other reasons), Jude Bolton, Kieran Jack will all fit or used to fit in this category of "Head duckers"

Yet you don't call them cheats. What is the difference between Captain Kirk ducking his head to win the ball and Captain Selwood doing it?

I'll tell you why.

Deal with it.

He gets hit in the head cos he is a short-ass (nickname of Frodo).  He is only 174cm

Ziplock

I'll tell you why.

Deal with it.

then they're all equally unsporting.

Windigo

I watched the game withe Eagles Vs Tigers and I dunno if it's just my biased veiw...Tigers supporter, but their seemed to be a bit more leniency with the Eagles and prior oppertunity?

I can re-call 3 instances where it 'should' have been a free kick...But hey what do I know and the umpires cannot see everything.

Jukes

I'll tell you why.

Deal with it.

I can see where you're coming from Mailman, and I respect your opinion. However, I must disagree. From those players you have mentioned, I know Kirk, Ballantyne, McGlynn and Hayes' game styles quite well. None of them duck their head into their shoulder, buckle their knees and force opponent hands high toward every tackle.

Also why would you want that cheat Selwood when you have Watson and Stanton?

PowerBug

The radio commentators did say twice within a quarter "There's no way that was a free kick, umpiring error." Both were in favour of the Eagles, and i immediately thought of Jukesy and that unceramonious guy, who both have the view that the Eagles have the umpys on their side.

I still stand by saying that it's clever from the players who do drop their knees, but that has made me more aware and i'll be paying more attention to Eagles games now.

Jukes

Quote from: Windigo on May 08, 2012, 06:48:32 PM
I watched the game withe Eagles Vs Tigers and I dunno if it's just my biased veiw...Tigers supporter, but their seemed to be a bit more leniency with the Eagles and prior oppertunity?

I can re-call 3 instances where it 'should' have been a free kick...But hey what do I know and the umpires cannot see everything.

Something from an AFL page;
"Eagles have had 157 free kicks this season, at an average of 26.17 per game. Teams playing them have had 94 free kicks this season, at an average of 15.67. That's 10 extra per game- could lead to 5 goals gained. Their opponents have never even gotten close to matching them in a game on frees!"

And these links;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbi7ZCnE6ik (forget the sarcastic title)
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/umpires-accused-of-favouring-eagles-and-dockers-at-home/story-e6frg1xu-1226120079890
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/eagles-free-love-on-the-free-kick-freeway-20110919-1kht0.html
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/hardwick-not-just-a-study-in-whingeing-20110808-1iiz8.html
/\Nothing about head ducking mostly on their massive free kick counts and massive umpire bias.

elephants

Quote from: Jukes on May 08, 2012, 06:52:48 PM

I'll tell you why.

Deal with it.

I can see where you're coming from Mailman, and I respect your opinion. However, I must disagree. From those players you have mentioned, I know Kirk, Ballantyne, McGlynn and Hayes' game styles quite well. None of them duck their head into their shoulder, buckle their knees and force opponent hands high toward every tackle.

Also why would you want that cheat Selwood when you have Watson and Stanton?

Because Selwood is better and younger than both?

Adapt lads.

Going to be ridiculous to try and make umpires decifer whether dudes are dropping their knees or not as well as looking at the other trillions of laws in the game.

Tackle lower or lay bumps instead of tackling.

A lot of tackles are high due to height though.

Hams, Balla, McGlynn, Scooter Selwood, Shuey and K-Jack are all kinda small dudes when it comes to footballers.

elephants

Quote from: Jukes on May 08, 2012, 06:56:44 PM
Quote from: Windigo on May 08, 2012, 06:48:32 PM

Something from an AFL page;
"Eagles have had 157 free kicks this season, at an average of 26.17 per game. Teams playing them have had 94 free kicks this season, at an average of 15.67. That's 10 extra per game- could lead to 5 goals gained. Their opponents have never even gotten close to matching them in a game on frees!"

And these links;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbi7ZCnE6ik (forget the sarcastic title)
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/umpires-accused-of-favouring-eagles-and-dockers-at-home/story-e6frg1xu-1226120079890
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/eagles-free-love-on-the-free-kick-freeway-20110919-1kht0.html
http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/hardwick-not-just-a-study-in-whingeing-20110808-1iiz8.html
/\Nothing about head ducking mostly on their massive free kick counts and massive umpire bias.

The media is there to generate contreversy.

AFL umpires must give free-kicks if they are there.

Quite obviously you're caught up in the facts and not actually watching the game ;)