Ablett could miss 3 weeks

Started by Ricochet, May 02, 2012, 10:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-news/solomon-says-suns-happy-to-pay-their-respects/story-e6frf9jf-1226344337564

GOLD Coast has been rocked by the realisation captain Gary Ablett could miss another three weeks with a knee injury.

Ablett has been slow to recover from minor bone bruising and ligament damage in his right knee after being helped from the Gabba late in the Round 4 loss to the Brisbane Lions.

The Suns had penciled in the Round 7 meeting with Greater Western Sydney on May 12 as Ablett's return date, with the club desperate for a breakthrough win.

But despite wearing a knee brace for several days, enduring hours in ice baths and around-the-clock treatment, Ablett is taking longer than expected to return to full fitness.

The midfielder initially stated he would push to play Fremantle on Saturday, but is quickly having to tone down his expectations.

''He just hasn't come up as well as we'd like him to and he's probably looking at another two to three weeks,'' Suns assistant coach Dean Solomon told SEN.

"Unfortunately the injury hasn't responded as quickly as we first thought it would so it's a big loss, but it gives a real opportunity to a few young guys to really step up, along with Karmichael (Hunt) to show some leadership out there and take ownership of this footy side.''

Solomon also rejected accusations its players did not respect Fremantle.

Tension has been simmering between the two clubs ahead of their clash after Ablett and teammate Trent McKenzie launched Twitter attacks at Dockers players.

Ablett described Fremantle tagger Ryan Crowley as “a joke” for the way he played the game, while McKenzie earlier this year said Geelong’s Matthew Scarlett "did a favour for most people" by punching Hayden Ballantyne in the head.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon responded this week, saying his club was keen to “have a good go” at the young Suns this weekend.

"We don't care who they run down the race, but I don't think they have got too much respect for us as a club,” Lyon said.

"I am not sure they should be tweeting about other players from other clubs.

"We are pretty keen to get up there and compete."

But Gold Coast assistant coach Dean Solomon did his best to defuse the situation this morning.

“It’s a big call, it’s not true. We’re 0-5 and I don’t think we have the right to disrespect any club,” Solomon told SEN.

“We have the utmost respect for every footy club we’re playing against at the moment because we’re learning our craft and, right now, we’re really behind the eight ball.

"We haven’t had a great start to the year and we think we should be a bit more ahead of where we are.

“To say we’re disrespecting the Fremantle footy club, we wouldn’t allow that as coaches.”

Justin Bieber

He'll be back. He did it last year, they are just making us trade him out.

Jukes

Quote from: whatlez on May 02, 2012, 10:07:15 AM
He'll be back. He did it last year, they are just making us trade him out.

+1, the AFL just wants us to waste our trades.

unceramonius

Ablett WANTS the brownlow..........he will miss the absolute minimum. 

Windigo

But ultimately he doesn't make the decision....

david.5

I LOVE IT!!! traded him out and i still believe its the best move i've made. massive jump up the ranking for my team. puts me in contention for overall if hes misses out for even one or two more weeks longer than expected.

david.5

and when he does comeback i hope my theory acutally plays out. ablett not at 100% = sub par 100 scores. Just look back to ablett scores at the beginning of last season where he was injured for all the preseason. took him like 6 weeks to get going and start knocking out big scores

Torress

mate of mine had a very good start being top 600 til he slipped this week now around 1500 ( boo hoo huh!!)
anyway he had only used 1 trade til last week now has used 2, he was seriously considering trading out gazza and i think i might of convinced him not to do it!!

if gazza misses 2, thats fine. if he misses 3 i'll be pissed off but if he misses 4 i wish i traded.

still atm not trading gazza to me is still the right move,  - David.5 - mate very ballsy move, i'm happy with jmac or shiel coming on for time being.

dmagnus

went Ablett to Rocky ;) boom!
by the time he comes back only 2 trades required ;)
hoping he's gone for 3

ZEDDOG

I actually think its more risk to keep than trade.
Too many "what ifs" with keeping for now.
Grab someone playing, get some points and make some $.
It's a game guys, time to play...

Tyes

I am really against trading Ablett... But if I trade him to Swan I can upgrade McCarthy to Murphy. It looks too good on paper not to do. :D

underdog11

you guys abused me for saying this exact thing would happen, it doesnt matter how strong willed you are, knee injuries are always difficult to heal from. So glad got in murphy, if it was up to jon brown he would play with a broken face

stew42

I could go Ablett => Murphy (and then have $310k spare) and hopefully Magner to Ablett when he fattens a bit. Sounds good...

Marcos83

to everyone trading out to murphy....... theres a lot of talk he will be rested this week. If that happens you will regret trading to him.

david.5

Quote from: dmagnus on May 02, 2012, 12:03:47 PM
went Ablett to Rocky ;) boom!
by the time he comes back only 2 trades required ;)
hoping he's gone for 3

same here man!!! Ablett to rocky, caddy to pendles. only two trades will be needed to get him back