Gary in Doubt

Started by whatlez, April 30, 2012, 01:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Bieber

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/134450/default.aspx

IN THE likelihood of Gary Ablett not playing against Fremantle on Saturday, Gold Coast must again prove it can stand on its own without the Brownlow medallist.

The skipper was not at the Suns' recovery session on Monday morning, and despite hoping he could defy the initial two to four week prognosis on his injured knee, the club is not so hopeful.

However, mature-age rookie Kyal Horsley said Saturday's 34-point loss against North Melbourne proved the Suns could perform without him.

"It'd be better to have Gary there of course but to play without him and play well is key - and when he comes back he'll add so much," Horsley said.

"A win [against North Melbourne] would have been nice but I think we were competitive for most of the game, just a couple of lapses and they got a run on.

"We really needed all 21 players out there and 22 players in the team to do their role defensively and cover for him. It was a good effort but not good enough."

Michael Rischitelli's condition has improved dramatically since rolling his ankle at training last Wednesday, but is also touch-and-go to play Freo.

West Australian Horsley was one of the beneficiaries of the Suns' lack of experience on Saturday, stepping in to make his debut.

The 24-year-old had 19 disposals and eight tackles in a polished display and said he was looking forward to playing Fremantle.

"I've got a couple of close mates at Fremantle like Greg Broughton, so hopefully I get picked and it'd be nice to play against them," Horsley said.

"They're an extremely good side, a lot of talented players and with [coach] Ross Lyon and his game-plan there, they're doing really well."

The Suns signed Horsley after he starred for Subiaco in the WAFL last season, finishing second in the Sandover Medal.

"Once you get to 22 or 23 you think your time's over but with the extension of the AFL with the two new clubs in I guess it was the perfect time to be mature age and get an opportunity," Horsley said.

Gold Coast football operations manager Marcus Ashcroft said Horsley's first-up showing was exceptional.

"He was fantastic. He's shown that form in the reserves but it's always hard to know whether that will translate to AFL because it's a big jump up," Ashcroft said.

"We were rapt the way he went about it. He was strong, he was penetrating with his disposal and he gave us real run and direction."

crabapples

So what were u saying bout ur profile picture?😜

Justin Bieber

Cursed? It needs to change asap lol.

Kuruki

If Gaz misses this week and next like i think he will, then trading him out was an epic win. It has allowed me to get 2 other premos and i will have enough cash to get him back when he is fit. Was the trade worth it?  I moved up nearly 10,000 in my ranking this week. So a big fat yes to that.

Slap

My buddy is now ranked 10th because he traded out GAJ.  Didn't last year's winner trade out GAJ at some point aswell?

Proudy1032

Last year's winner traded out Boyd round 3 I think

Justin Bieber

Quote from: Slap on April 30, 2012, 01:47:16 PM
My buddy is now ranked 10th because he traded out GAJ.  Didn't last year's winner trade out GAJ at some point aswell?

Is that DT Sainters, who spits your face?

Joe Dirt

i kept gablett and ive gone from 40000 to about 3000 in two weeks, saved me wasting two trades and still rising in the rankings. although thats cos ive had good rookies in his spot where some people would be getting zeros or 60s.

david.5

i reckon it was a good move trading out GAJ. you have to take risks in dreamteam. Im in the top 200 thanks to that move.

Cicjose

if gazza is out watch Horsely get another 100

fertalong

Quote from: david.5 on April 30, 2012, 02:57:31 PM
i reckon it was a good move trading out GAJ. you have to take risks in dreamteam. Im in the top 200 thanks to that move.

It's actually a silly move, because, yes, it would help you move up the ranking when he's out, but when he comes back and pumps 130 avg again, your ranking will start to slip because you don't have him. By then, he will be 600k and it will cost you an additional 3 trades (2 downgrades + 1 upgrade)  just to get him back in.

crabapples

+ his break even is still lower than his average lol

zeddyzed

Quote from: fertalong on April 30, 2012, 04:31:09 PM

It's actually a silly move, because, yes, it would help you move up the ranking when he's out, but when he comes back and pumps 130 avg again, your ranking will start to slip because you don't have him. By then, he will be 600k and it will cost you an additional 3 trades (2 downgrades + 1 upgrade)  just to get him back in.

Its actually not a silly move if you've made a calculated trade based on your team, ranking etc, and if planned properly shouldnt be hard to get Ablett back. The last 2 weeks have seen the majority of the top teams with injuries, late withdrawals, suspensions and under performing premiums. The perfect time to capitalize on their misfortune. I downgraded Fyfe to Treloar because of the uncertainty surrounding his shoulder, and straight swapped Ablett to Murphy. Carltons fixture is incredibly easy the next few weeks and it'll give me a chance to maintain/improve my ranking on those who have benched Ablett, while also giving my rookies more time to fatten up. The Fyfe downgrade has given me 500k in the bank which i will use to straight swap Magner and Greene to Ablett and Mitchell in 2-3 weeks. So with 4 trades i will have gained Murphy, Mitchell, Treloar and gotten Ablett back, aswell as kept my average up. Makes sense to me!!!

fertalong

Quote from: zeddyzed on April 30, 2012, 04:50:07 PM
Quote from: fertalong on April 30, 2012, 04:31:09 PM

Its actually not a silly move if you've made a calculated trade based on your team, ranking etc, and if planned properly shouldnt be hard to get Ablett back. The last 2 weeks have seen the majority of the top teams with injuries, late withdrawals, suspensions and under performing premiums. The perfect time to capitalize on their misfortune. I downgraded Fyfe to Treloar because of the uncertainty surrounding his shoulder, and straight swapped Ablett to Murphy. Carltons fixture is incredibly easy the next few weeks and it'll give me a chance to maintain/improve my ranking on those who have benched Ablett, while also giving my rookies more time to fatten up. The Fyfe downgrade has given me 500k in the bank which i will use to straight swap Magner and Greene to Ablett and Mitchell in 2-3 weeks. So with 4 trades i will have gained Murphy, Mitchell, Treloar and gotten Ablett back, aswell as kept my average up. Makes sense to me!!!

Well you aren't really gaining very much from those trades you mentioned because you are actually 1 premo less than you were.

Capper

we all know the real reason that GAJ is out