j.selwood MRP ??

Started by Chopps, April 28, 2012, 11:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopps

Quote from: Ziplock on April 29, 2012, 12:51:03 AM
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/04/28/322555_news.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgoCjzo2l8

he'll be getting weeks and he deserves them. Raines dropped selwood, although imo, it was a bit of a dive... I don't think raines should get more than selwood, and will probably get less. Considering that they're both definitely gone, you're probably looking at 1-2 for raines and 2-4 for selwood.

no way selwood will go more then raines there zip

Chopps

Quote from: Slashers on April 29, 2012, 12:57:26 AM
When was the last time anyone got out and watched an amature league game?... anyone?...
Selwoods wasn't a hit! It was just a 'hey, what do you think your doing?'.

this isnt an amature league game though its a professional game

Colliwobblers

seems the cats and the ex cats don't like losing and throw tantrums, ablett attacking taggers when he gets under 40 possessions  ::)

scarlett, selwood now, chappy been grumpy, pods grumpy too.....

shocking culture when your players all have brain fades and fail epically when truely tested, guess its easy to keep your cool when your always winning, selwoods form has been ordinairy by his standards (HIGH), guess he isn't enjoying his footy so much these days

I'll give Garry that much, he gets belted every week at the suns and "except for twitter" at least he keeps premium on the field

+1 Slashers the game aint what it used to be ... BUT

+1 Chopps also - it's profesional, and the players are supposed to be too, and the rules are pretty damn clear.

mpollock

They will both get the same unless:

1)  They have a different history in terms of carry over points
2)  Raines hit gets considered Med/High impact as opposed to Selwoods being considered low/med impact.

Seems crazy to me but the impact could make the difference in terms of the number of weeks they get where in this incident they both had brain fades and should get the same i think.  :)

Slashers

soft, what Selwood did was soft.
How about this then. If Raines hadn't have dropped him, do you think Selwood would have got weeks then? If they just kept going on jumper pushing one and other for a few more yards then broke up?
Cause thats all it deserved.

underdog11

I reckon if they have gave more then 2 its a disgrace, considering scarletts hit on pest

Chopps

if you mean take raines hit out yea selwood should get weeks. i am simply saying this from a football prospective i have selwood in sc and Dt so i hope the MRP goes back to its usual standard and lets him off

Colliwobblers

no one was injured it wasnt malicious or anything id dismiss it and they would both get nothing.

but i don't make the rules, scarlett actually punched someone in the face - not malicious either really - but a week or two.

barry hall type incident that deserved a long stretch,

this was just nothing (by the looks on zips link) but how can they not follow thier own rules? if there is contact , and high, and deliberate, and off the ball, they add it all up on thier calculater however ridiculous it is and offer the offenders thier sentence  ::)

or they could just be random and let them both off or just one, mrp is almost as reliable as umpires are consistant  ;D

mpollock

The idea behind the MRP system is really good ... it should in theory make for consistent and fair decisions across the board.

The problem is it just doesn't work ... each incident is different and you can't apply the same points/rules to each incident and get the CORRECT decision on a lot of occassions - as i think most will agree we have seen this year.  (Goodes got a week ... north guy gets off ... gee splitting hairs between the two incidents!!  They should have both gotten off in my opinion)

I think the results were actually more correct and fair prior to this new (or now not so new) system.

Will be very interested to see if both these guys get 3 weeks like Scarlett ... basically the same identical incident.  Soft punch on an annoying tagger ... no real damage done etc

Slashers

I just thought I would provide a link to the Scarlett hit being compared;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c62RQ2P-5UU
(BTW the Ballantyne reaction is priceless - watch it on loop ;D)

Not a thing like what Selwood did.
Scarletts was an out right punch across the chin - boxing style.
Selwood was a moving swipe.

I think its arguable that Selwood even hit him in the head - and I use the word 'hit' very loosely..

k bartel

http://www.afl.com.au/match%20review%20panel/tabid/17560/default.aspx

2.20 mark. If Ivan got off for an elbow to the face then Selwood is guaranteed not to get a week. Thinking maybe Raines will get 2 because of how Selwood was after his hit.

unceramonius

Selwood will get two and should count himself lucky.  How scott could laugh it off with him sickens me.

We need to stop being so arrogant, cocky and just play footy.  If selwood hit me, id smack him back too...so raines will be stiff to miss weeks.

The last 5 years we have been fine...last year incident not included.  But already this year, scarlett hit ballyntine, chappy is angry, pods is angry and selwood lost his head.  5 rounds in...it aint right.

Capper

going off the MRP
Conduct of both were intentional, high impact, and contact to the head.

Using this as a guide and the MRP rules both are looking at time on the bench and a level 4 offence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL_Tribunal#Match_Review_Panel

Kuruki

Im surprised the umps didn't give a free kick to Selwood, he sure is taking it to a whole new level now.....

unceramonius

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lolololololol you mean Scott Selwood right?  or West Coast as a whole, seeing as we are talking whole new levels and all.  Howmany frees do they have compared to the rest so far this year mmm?