Making captain choices a little easier

Started by Ricochet, April 26, 2012, 01:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricochet

I've noticed something over the past couple of weeks in regards to Heath Hocking.
Essendon hold Hocking as one of the best taggers in the AFL atm... apparently...
I thought i would have a look at how good he actually is at stopping players.

2012: R5  Tonight he ran with Pendles who got a lazy 34 touches and 113 DT points. (freeing up Swan to do whatever he wanted)

2012: R4The week before i'm not sure who he ran with but the worst of Carlton's midfield was Judd who still got 24 touches (it didn't result in a massive DT score tho)
Judd - 24 touches, 3 frees against, 1 goal, 1 behind 74 DT points
Murphy - 29 touches, 1 goal and 114 DT points
Simpson - 33 touches and 124 DT points

2012: R3 The week before that was against Gold Coast and we all know how that ended for Heath...
Ablett got 45 disposals and 162 DT points
Heath said Ablett was untaggable... Raines did ok on him before Ablett got injured

2012: R1 and R2 Heath didn't play in Round 2 against Port and in Round 1 he got concussed in the first quarter.

I know its only 3 games and i'm not sure how he went last year, but i went through last years match reports and picked out when he was mentioned.

2011: R2
"Influential players
Adam Goodes turned the game in Sydney's favour when he moved himself into the middle of the ground during the second quarter. Despite some close attention from Heath Hocking, the dual Brownlow Medallist produced a vintage performance, ending the contest with 23 possessions, eight inside-50s and a goal."

2011: R4
"while Hocking was one of their best, keeping Chris Judd to 24 touches and just five in the cliff-hanging final quarter." - 79 DT points

2011: R5
Swan - 24 touches and 104 DT points
Pendles - 34 and 166 DT points

2011: R7
"Moved onto Kerr late in the first term, Hocking restricted the dangerous Eagle to six second-quarter disposals while picking up five touches and kicking two goals of his own."

2011: R20
Goodes - 29 touches and 139 DT points

So he did do some good tagging jobs last year.

Some people will say he has done great tagging jobs in the past, and i'm sure he has. I even chucked up a few above when he was mentioned.
Now i haven't looked at other taggers, so it could just be the quality of Hocking's opponents are that good.
But I would watch how Hocking goes in the future (especially next week with RedRock) because the signs early this season suggest he might struggling against quality opponents.

How is this relevant? It may make your captain choices a little bit easier and pick a captain who is playing against Hocking...

Andrew

Great write-up. I held off Pendles/Swan this week because a) short break but b) I assumed Hocking would get moved to whoever was hot. Well I didn't see him near Swan all day, didn't see Hocking much at all to be honest. Over-rated tagger, don't be put off by him.

I do rate Raines after his effort on Ablett though (even injured him!), should I avoid putting Selwood captain against Brisbane this week..?

elephants

Awesome work again Ric!

Yeah Andrew I won't be Captaining anyone vs the Lions for a few weeks now.

Boyd vs the Giants looks an able replacement :)

owenbond007

You make Hocking sound like a spud. LOL! Just another showerty write up of ones opinion. Yes pick a captain who plays on hocking? F ing Genious you are was it Judd Simpson or Murphy who he tagged. Next time Demons play bombers maybe you should make the magnet captain.

PS. His not a outright tagger, nor have i once heard anyone say geeze his best tagger in comp. He wins a lot of contested footy and kicks the odd goal or 2 for a tagger.

Andrew

Quote from: elephants on April 26, 2012, 01:37:35 AM
Awesome work again Ric!

Yeah Andrew I won't be Captaining anyone vs the Lions for a few weeks now.

Boyd vs the Giants looks an able replacement :)

I'm thinking now I might grab Ziebell instead of Ebert. Ziebell playing the Gold Coast without Ablett and Rischitelli..? I'm captaining that.

elephants

Quote from: owenbond007 on April 26, 2012, 01:41:02 AM
You make Hocking sound like a spud. LOL! Just another showerty write up of ones opinion. Yes pick a captain who plays on hocking? F ing Genious you are was it Judd Simpson or Murphy who he tagged. Next time Demons play bombers maybe you should make the magnet captain.

PS. His not a outright tagger, nor have i once heard anyone say geeze his best tagger in comp. He wins a lot of contested footy and kicks the odd goal or 2 for a tagger.

Geez dude. Little defensive? Bit touchy after losing today maybe?

I didn't read Ric say make Magnet captain when the Bombers play Dees. You reading a different post than me??

Ricochet

Mate are you serious? of course its only my opinion, its a bloody forum isn't it?
I didn't say he doesn't find his own footy and i didn't say he isn't a good player.
I'm saying that his start to this season as a tagger is terrible and it was a suggestion to watch how he goes at tagging in the future. I don't care if he collects plenty of the ball and kicks goals, which he can do. But if one of my premium mids is playing him i will most likely put the C on them because so far this season (and yes i know its only 3 games) he has been terrible at stopping players.

elephants

Quote from: Ricochet on April 26, 2012, 01:53:24 AM

Mate are you serious? of course its only my opinion, its a bloody forum isn't it?
I didn't say he doesn't find his own footy and i didn't say he isn't a good player.
I'm saying that his start to this season as a tagger is terrible and it was a suggestion to watch how he goes at tagging in the future. I don't care if he collects plenty of the ball and kicks goals, which he can do. But if one of my premium mids is playing him i will most likely put the C on them because so far this season (and yes i know its only 3 games) he has been terrible at stopping players.

+1, cheered you Ric and ZING!!

owenbond007

Well i would monitor him more closely tagged pendles well for most of match.Did a stint on Wellingham in middle. Pendle picked up a fair few points across the back half when he wasnt even being tagged by Heath.

owenbond007

So redden rockers black rich for the Big C Im sure Hocking will spend time on at least 2 of em.

elephants

Rich and Black should be tagged by Hocking and Lonergan... What's your point?

owenbond007

my point is its not often a key mid would have one opp. and to justify a capt. choice based on who you think will tag who is stupidity. Top class DT players seldom have less than 30 possies. Regardless of the result of the match. Id be more inclined to lock a swan or ablett every than 2nd guess whos going to exploit a so called tagger.

Ricochet

Quote from: owenbond007 on April 26, 2012, 02:43:02 AM
my point is its not often a key mid would have one opp. and to justify a capt. choice based on who you think will tag who is stupidity. Top class DT players seldom have less than 30 possies. Regardless of the result of the match. Id be more inclined to lock a swan or ablett every than 2nd guess whos going to exploit a so called tagger.

Next time GC play Brissie again would you recommend Ablett as captain?
Or if Carrazzo wasn't injured and was playing the pies again would you recommend Pendles as captain?
There are some very decent taggers running around mate, and to not consider them when selecting your captain... that is stupidity

essendon2

I'm sorry, what?
last year on Anzac day, hocking killed swan.
in the draw last year, hocking defeated Judd.
in the elimination final, Judd didn't do anything - hocking wins
round 4 '12 - Judd does shower all - hocking wins.

our most important games, he's stepped up and won. Judd hasn't been that good this year - probably on 4 or 5 votes

penskifile

Hocking has been good this year as a tagger. Yes Pendles had 34 disposals yesterday, but his kick to handball ratio was almost 50/50. I was at the game yesterday and Pendles Barely got any room from Hocking and had to offload a quick handball a lot. He picked up some kicks and marks late when all the players were tired and everyone was loose. Hocking towelled up Judd last week. I don't think its a safe bet putting the C on who ever plays against Essendon..