Old Mac or new Tre.

Started by Noz, April 22, 2012, 09:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noz

This will be a tough choice for many of people this round myself including, Which GWS player on the bubble to bring in. James McDonald or Adam Treloar.

James McDonald
$106,00 (Supercoach price)
Midfielder

Averaging 89 from his 2 games with scores of 100, (Round 1) 78 (Round 4) is what you would expect from the old head down at GWS. 2 seasons out of the game many believed the past Melbourne captain was past his prime, Didn't blow us away with his pre season scoring and the jury was out once more about if old Mac can get back to his best. Proved many doubters wrong scoring 100 points game in round 1. Then he decided to go out and get suspended for breaking Luke Parkers jaw, That suspension could be a blessing in disguise though. Was never going to play every game this year and the plan was to rest him for a couple. Now that he has been rested for 2 matches already could that freshen his body up allowing him to play through to GWS bye round (11) without needing another rest. In that time he could reach the 300-350k mark and be easily downgrading to a rookie on the bubble.

Past season scores of 112, 98, 85, 74 and 99. Are very good in its own right and to get him at rookie price is just as good. The only downside is in his 14 years of playing AFL he has only played 22 games once in his year (2006).

Adam Treloar
$113,200 (Supercoach price)
Midfielder/Forward

Adam was the 5th 17 year old to be drafted by GWS, He was probably the best young talent GWS pre listed many tipped him to go top 5 in the draft, Recruited from Noble Park Adam set the footy world on fire in his junior years. In the NAB Under‐16 Championships he averaged 21 disposals. The following year in 2010 he played for the Dandenong Stingrays in the TAC Cup where he averages 22 disposals.

Last year in the NEAFL he averaged 82 Supercoach points playing in 6 games, Did only score 1 hundred in the 6 qames with a low of 58. Don't look to much in them scores because Adam seems right at home playing at AFL level with a score of 73 in his first game followed up by another 73 against the Crows. With an average of of course 73 he will improve as the GWS improve and will be a excellent cash cow come years end. A downside to this is he did suffer a injury in the pre season which limited him playing in the NAB cup and the first couple of games could prove problems in the future.

The verdict.
Though Old Mac is a proven premium with Dylan Shiel and Stephen Conigilo in my mids i don't want to bring in a third even GWS player, Even with Ledger not playing right now. Conigilo still has a lot of money to make and that he was rested last round he might be safe from another rest throughout the year being able to make a lot more money on the way. Im going to go with Adam Treloar. My forward rookies conist of Adam Kennedy, Devon Smith, Aaron Hall and the recently traded in Terry Milera, I believe its Smiths time to go with a price of $211,200 i just don't see big scores coming his way in the near future a high score of 79 with 3 50s scores in between. Still has a breakeven of -26 but i see Treloar a more promising supercoach player.

Trading Devon Smith to Adam Treloar will give you $98,000 to spend on future upgrades.

jabroni

most would have old mac and hes already not going to play 22 this year but had a good game last night

treloar would be brought in this week by most as a swap for a non playing rook or a not yet ripe rookie downgrade but given his youth expect some general soreness over the season. That being said he should still play 15 games easily

if you dont have both then good luck with the decision but old mac would be safer imo

batt

Milking a cow with a negative B/E makes no sense to me even with all the fancy formatting. :P

I'm a new Tre fan, Ledger's going for him this week.  Don't be too concerned about how many GWS players you'll have, Tre will be #6 for me.  At least 3 of them will be milked before round 11 (looks like Smith, Kennedy and Shiel).

As much as we'd like to prepare ourselves for the byes, we've already seen this week that months of preparation can still equate to round 4 doughnuts.

Noz

Getting rid of Smith while he still has a negative breakeven is a risky move but its no different to the first couple of rounds to correcting a rookie mistake. Another option would be to wait for Anthony Miles also a GWS player.

Ringo

Agree trading out a player with a negative B/e is a very risky strategy.  The extra cash that may be made may be the difference between getting a super prem and a prem.  Smith has possibly another $50k to make.

I already have J Mac and more than likely will go Ledger to Treloar this week.

batt

Quote from: Noz on April 22, 2012, 09:52:56 PM
Getting rid of Smith while he still has a negative breakeven is a risky move but its no different to the first couple of rounds to correcting a rookie mistake.
Except of course Smith is still making money  ::)

Noz

Will wait of course until the teams are named on thursday, To see which if any GWS players are rested and where Tom Ledger stands if he is named or not.

tbagrocks

what about Yreloar for  Milera who seems to have hit the wall already and isn't a scorer at all

batt

Quote from: tbagrocks on April 22, 2012, 10:36:12 PM
what about Yreloar for  Milera who seems to have hit the wall already and isn't a scorer at all
If you traded him in early you'd want to keep him for the money...otherwise you're really not getting enough out of the trades.

ThePreditorPenguin

Quote from: tbagrocks on April 22, 2012, 10:36:12 PM
im actually planning on doing that this week, but in all honesty i would rather not, the only reason i am is so that i can upgrade to barlow now while his price is still low, if i leave milera for another week its likely his price rise will b alike to barlows
i may b wrong cause i dont no the BE's yet

Noz

Barlow has a breakeven of 59.

ThePreditorPenguin

thank you, that proves my point. i believe he will get 100+ mini
so that +40 already, so i believe im making the right choice to downgrade milera to tre and upgrade wingard to barlow

Noz

Milera and Kennedy with positive breakeven
Smith at negative 9
Hall at negative 24

ThePreditorPenguin

noz where are u getting ur BE's from? they would b very useful
thank you in advance

Noz

Supercoach gold though sometimes its not 100% accurate. You can also see breakevens from various different website most importantly tooserious.com