Playing it safe or taking risks??!!

Started by Dave085, April 18, 2012, 08:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave085

Ive noticed a bit of a trend emerging lately... Especially with the Fyfe dilema.

At the beginning of the season most people were all talking, and in some cases whinging a little bit, about uniqueness and the lack of it accross FanFooty teams... Even just the Dream Team community in large.

However, now that we are coming into important times in the season and important decisions need to be made I am seeing a lot more people going safe options rather than sticking their necks out a bit and going unique.

Im not having a go, and to be honest im more of a "safe" type than a "risky" one. The Fyfe incident lately has seen a lot of trade/keep talk. Even in the suggestions that people are giving others they are saying "Go (for example) Sidebottom, or Robinson if youre high in the rankings". 

While this might be a very logical answer to some, ie. Sidebottom set to start scoring even better with the Ball injury, there are others that are making suggestions like Clanee Pearce etc. which arent being given too much consideration...

Think of it what you will. Im not posting this to shoot anyone down or compliment anyone.

I just thought it was interesting how things change very quickly from the start of the season to now. Whats your thoughts?

Mozza3

I think the 'safe type' option is always being recommended first because a lot of us have picked some uniques from the start and they haven't paid off. On the flipside though an awful lot of people jumped on Martin and he simply hasn't delivered. Imagine the response you would of got pre-season if you said I'm picking Whitecross over Martin.

Dave085

Mostly the same as what you'd get for suggesting it now   ;) lol

The Primates

"Fortune favers the brave"

And on the topic of being unique, what is the point. Always try and think about how you can improve your team and what players can get the big 100+ scores for you. Dont try to be unique as I have tried in the past, just stick to the big guns and rookies that will be consistant!

henry

I do like to take risks and pick some midpricers, who often either do  brilliantly or spud it up, normally for me the first one. This year my starting team had howard, grimes, caddy, hmac, shuey, christensen. Have all of these worked? Not so far, but it for me is still fun with these uniques that are a bit of an unkown quantity.

Master Q

Rookie Midfield Strategy is enough Risk taking for me  ::)

nathan11

I think because it is so early in the season most people want to play it safe as they're trading out a prem and will have other risks in their team so will try to make sure they don't need to trade out fyfe s replacement as well

tbagrocks

for me, if I go after Sidebottom orRobbo, cos we know they will score, DT would get pretty dull for me after a while...
if i'm not looking at Chad, Whitecross, Tippett Hawkins, to bring in each week, and get right into the exitment of the unknown, risk taking makes the game unique, unique's make the game interesting. And I'm sure that Ziebell, Tippett, Hurn, Scott Selwood can score huge 130+ in the finals to win us our leagues, and make it all so interesting. Good luck!

Ricochet

Quote from: Master Q on April 18, 2012, 11:14:58 PM
Rookie Midfield Strategy is enough Risk taking for me  ::)

How many rookies did you go in your mids Q??

grimreaper

Quick question...

Masten or Magner in this week? It's nice having choices but it's annoying making decisions... advice???

essendon2

weew my man Pearce got a mention!  ;)

Dave085

The Shaw injury just adds fuel to the fire too  ;)

nathan11

I bought karmichael in this week is that unique enough for you?

Ricochet

Quote from: nathan11 on April 27, 2012, 04:16:53 PM
Haha why??

nathan11

Quote from: Ricochet on April 27, 2012, 04:44:14 PM
Quote from: nathan11 on April 27, 2012, 04:16:53 PM
Haha why??

Because my dt has been horrible so I went grimes to hunt and cornes to Boyd so I could keep gaj :)