DT MARKET WATCH

Started by Football Factory, April 17, 2012, 08:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Football Factory

DT MARKET WATCH

Keep
THERE'S a guy named Selwood who has been firing on all cylinders. And no, it's not Joel.

Not many would have picked it, but West Coast's Scott Selwood (MID, $468,800) has edged ahead of his older brother in the Dream Team stakes.

The younger Selwood has compiled the third-highest Dream Team points total this year, behind only Gary Ablett and Matthew Boyd, on the back of 131 points against Melbourne and 150 against Greater Western Sydney last weekend.

The 2.36 per cent of teams who picked him must be laughing all the way to the bank, after his price rise of $37,800.

Trade
There was always a risk picking the two Brisbane Lions young guns, Tom Rockliff (MID, $520,100) and Jack Redden (MID, $502,500), at the start of the year.

Rockliff started the season at a hefty $554,200, giving him an overall price drop of $34,100. Whereas, Redden was at $540,100 to begin the year and has plummeted $37,600 in price.

In a Lions team that is struggling without Simon Black, teams are putting more time in to limiting their output and it might be wise to move them on before their price drops any lower.

Carlton's Chris Judd (MID, $513,900) could be a worthy replacement or, if you want to free up some cash, Richmond's Trent Cotchin (MID, $468,000) looks ready to explode.

Invest
Missing a goal after the siren to win the game doesn't exactly endear you to your supporters.

But Hamish McIntosh (RUC, $308,600) has been slowly making amends with some impressive under-the-radar Dream Team scores.

McIntosh scored 106 points in succession, against GWS and Geelong, and has risen by $35,100 in price.

The good news is that he is still a reasonable price and stints up forward, where he has kicked six goals for the year, and in the ruck make him a sought-after commodity.

New Kid(s) on the block
From the opening bounce North Melbourne's Jack Ziebell (MID, $384,900) was ready to serve it up to the all-conquering Geelong.

In his first game of the year, after serving a flow-on three-game suspension from last season, he scored 139 points in a stellar display.

He is just 21 and not exactly young, but there is likely to be oodles of improvement left in him and his price is set to skyrocket after three games.

The Brisbane Lions' Billy Longer (RUC, $148,200) is another to consider, given the Achilles injury to first-choice ruckman Matthew Leunberger.

Longer was taken by the Lions at pick No. 8 in last year's draft and the 18-year-old performed well against Fremantle's Aaron Sandilands.

That hurts
Luke Ball's (MID, $438,900) ACL injury is just as heartbreaking for Dream Teamers as it is Collingwood.

Ball will miss the rest of the season and that means DT coaches will be looking frantically for a like-for-like player.

Sydney's Josh Kennedy (MID, $444,500) has risen by more than $14,000 in price, but his superlative form cannot be ignored.

If you've got some extra cash up your sleeve, Geelong's Jimmy Bartel (MID, $480,600) could be a prolific scorer over the next couple of weeks with games against Richmond, the Brisbane Lions and Melbourne to come.

Comeback king Lenny Hayes (MID, $404,000) was also back to his best with 126 points against the Dogs at the weekend and might be a worthy contender.

The last word
It's time to be smart with your trades.

If you feel that one of your stars is underperforming and there is a worthwhile option on the market, then back your instincts.

If there's a player you desperately want and you think it's in your best interests then go for it.

But don't complain when those decisions come back to bite you.

Justin Bieber

Thanks FF. I had a read earlier today. Don't like how he says invest in Hmac...

Football Factory

Quote from: whatlez on April 17, 2012, 08:07:26 PM
Thanks FF. I had a read earlier today. Don't like how he says invest in Hmac...
I didn't like the fact he reckons if you have Redden or Rockliff trade .. if you start with these guys imo you have to suck it up and keep them they will come good eventually .. yes you will lose some cash but atleast your not wasting trades getting rid of premo's

Windigo

Suggest getting rid of my man Redden. I won't stand for this.  :P

Football Factory

Quote from: Windigo on April 17, 2012, 08:23:00 PM
Ben Guthrie is a reporter for AFL.com.au   ;D

henry

Quote from: FOOTBALL FACTORY on April 17, 2012, 08:39:39 PM
Quote from: Windigo on April 17, 2012, 08:23:00 PM
Ben Guthrie is a reporter for AFL.com.au   ;D
I know hehe saw this a couple of weeks ago and wondered. I wouldn't be advising to pick up hmac. Although i've got him and have been happy with his output, his 2 hundreds have been against inexperienced ruckmen in giles and stephenson and when he played against a decent ruckman in ryder/hill he struggled. Also wouldn't be advising to sell rocky or redden yet as imo its wastung trades that coukd be better used upgrading/downgrading.

essendon2

Clancee Pearce!

then get in Ziebell next week!