Main Menu

ANZAC Day Blockbuster

Started by Doyle, April 16, 2012, 06:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cookie Monster

Essendon and Collingwood made this day their own.

Other teams are just jealous, no other teams will make a crowd or atmosphere like these 2.

Go make your own day everyone else and stop trying to take what we made!

McRooster

Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 26, 2012, 10:07:53 PM

Other teams are just jealous, no other teams will make a crowd or atmosphere like these 2.

Go make your own day everyone else and stop trying to take what Eddie made!
fixed that for you Cookie  ;)

TheMailman

Technically the idea was made by Sheedy......

and he stole it off the Collingwood- Richmond rivalry :P

Cruiseon

McRoost i think Sheeds deserves far more credit than Eddie who was not even President when I attended that first drawn clash in 1995.

Shaggy

Regardless of who started it, it was the drawn first match that cemented it into the historic spot that it is today.

PowerBug

Sorry, i disagree. The match has got nothing to do with who is out there, it is about the people that lost their lives serving for our country. Without them there will be no ANZAC day match. That is why people are asking for it to be changed, as the reason behind the footy game SHOULD be more important than the footy game.

McRooster

Quote from: Cruiseon on April 26, 2012, 10:18:30 PM
McRoost i think Sheeds deserves far more credit than Eddie who was not even President when I attended that first drawn clash in 1995.
the great philosphers of our time Socrates, Dr Karl, Kevin Sheedy and the like were responsible for `asking the question`, only the selfish fat cats of our society [eddie and andrew]  would perpetuate this match in order to line their pockets on the bravery of the ANZAC spirit.
Why is it that no other afl player outside Windy hill or PieLand can be awarded an ANZAC medal? Many Richmond, Carlton, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Adelaide etc players have strong ANZAC history, the day belongs to all.
Word from CARO Wilson is this dominance of the day by the two clubs is over and as soon as next year a game will be played in Wellington NZ between st kilda and the crows.

PowerBug

Roost, see the article in today's Advertister about an ANZAC showdown?? Wouldn't that be good. At the twilight peroid too so it doesn't clash with the MCG game and the SANFL game. Port are trying to get the Crows on this bandwagon. :)

McRooster

Quote from: PowerBug on April 26, 2012, 11:46:18 PM
Roost, see the article in today's Advertister about an ANZAC showdown?? Wouldn't that be good. At the twilight peroid too so it doesn't clash with the MCG game and the SANFL game. Port are trying to get the Crows on this bandwagon. :)
is that talk of the first showdown in 2014 at adelaide oval being on ANZAC day? I'm a bit against it. SANFL has a long standing tradition of the previous season's GF combatants fighting it out on ANZAC day, something AFL could adopt.
*Sorry for my slow rate of posting, I'm watching BLade 2 and using the remote to type thru the smart tv, no wireless keyboard for it yet.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: PowerBug on April 26, 2012, 11:42:16 PM

Sorry, i disagree. The match has got nothing to do with who is out there, it is about the people that lost their lives serving for our country. Without them there will be no ANZAC day match. That is why people are asking for it to be changed, as the reason behind the footy game SHOULD be more important than the footy game.
The thing is , Essendon and Collingwood thought of playing a game on ANZAC Day to commemorate those fallen, that's why in the footy world the day belongs to Essendon and Collingwood, yes it's more about the fallen soldiers, but it was Essendon and Collingwood who thought of playing a match to commemorate that.

McRooster

Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 27, 2012, 12:02:20 AM
Quote from: PowerBug on April 26, 2012, 11:42:16 PM

The thing is , Essendon and Collingwood thought of playing a game on ANZAC Day to commemorate those fallen, that's why in the footy world the day belongs to Essendon and Collingwood, yes it's more about the fallen soldiers, but it was Essendon and Collingwood who thought of playing a match to commemorate that.
Lest we forget,

I wrote the below message in a card to my Grandpa (who was a spitfire/kittyhawk engineer and fought in Darwin and Borneo) because at 87, this may have been his last dawn service  :'(

Thankyou Grandpa for my freedom,
Thankyou for my wife,
Thankyou for my children,
Thankyou for my life.

he always has hated collingwood and was a bombers fan (from being in the air force) before crows came in, I'd really love for him, my dad, my son and me, 4 generations, to attend an ANZAC day game next year here in SA!

Cookie Monster

McR, i'm not trying to be disrespectful to you, your family or grandpa, but I'm just saying, what the AFL are saying + Eddie Magiure

" the Essendon v Collingwood fixture is the biggest home and away game during the season every single year, big crowds and the most viewers out of most of not all games, it will not be shared because they made it themselves"

An this is what Eddie Maguire says:

" Who wants to be a millionaire? ME!"

MY opinion on the other hand is that, and once again, not being disrespectful in any way.

No H&A game gets a bigger crowd or tv ratings, they put other games on and suddenly it's
just another game, I'm sorry to say but I don't think it should be shared.

PowerBug

The proposed game by the Power was for a twilight/night fixture, so it doesn't clash with the MCG game OR the SANFL game. I think they wanted as early as next year too.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/adelaide-crows-and-port-adelaide-may-lobby-to-have-twilight-showdown-on-anzac-day-after-collingwood-essendon-game/story-e6frf3e3-1226338579866

There's an article.

Fletch74

There is nothing wrong with Essendon and Collingwood holding the rights to the ANZAC Day match, that has now become a tradition. However, I don't see why it can't be shared with other clubs as well like what PB is stating. Why should it "only" belong to Essendon and Collingwood, and their match be the only game to be held on the day?

If there were to be a Twilight match or even a Night match, like the "Showdown" or "Derby" etc, then Cruise's audience figures would increase even more. It's a National day to commemorate our fallen soldiers who've made our country what it is today, so I don't see any harm in celebrating it Nationally with other games.

bomberboy0618

It'd be amazing if they had a double header on the MCG on Anzac Day but don't know if it would work.