Main Menu

ANZAC Day Blockbuster

Started by Doyle, April 16, 2012, 06:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torpedo10

Match was ruined by the Umpires, That is what I'm disappoined about. If Essendon had lost natrually I'td be fine but If Umpy hadn't called Play On with 10 seconds to go Zaha would have kicked a point or drilled a goal which would have been Draw or Win.

TheMailman

Collingwood deserved to win in the end though they were basically better in almost every way

Plus now Essendon has lost one >:D

Cruiseon

Just back from the G. An awesome game. Let's not belittle it with days rested & umpire talk (frees were 17:10 to Ess BTW). The Pies won by a point, any team that wins by a point is lucky.

Great game, played in great spirit by both teams.

Go Pies!

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Cruiseon on April 25, 2012, 07:17:00 PM

Just back from the G. An awesome game. Let's not belittle it with days rested & umpire talk (frees were 17:10 to Ess BTW). The Pies won by a point, any team that wins by a point is lucky.

Great game, played in great spirit by both teams.

Go Pies!

THIS (but i wasnt at the G)

Cookie Monster

Torp, umpires didn't ruin the game, they were good today.

And with Zaharakis,

1. Watson picked it up and played advantage.
2. he was 80 out, he had no chance of kicking anything.

Stop being a sore loser, we didn't deserve to win, we were outplayed the whole game.

I am proud of how Resiliant Essendon are, after Hibberd went down, I thought we we're going to lose by 8 goals.

Beating Carlton and losing by a point to last years Grand Finalist, I call that a pretty good start.

Hopefully we get a few players back for Brisbane as well and then be ready for the next 5 games before our bye.

I tried looking for excuses for our loss, maybe a couple odd decisions, but they didn't effect anything, the game was a good old scrap fest and I look toward the rest of the season.

Bombers did me proud <3

Ziplock

waton is no me that's for sure. I'd torpy that shower through no issue.

bomberboy0618

Through what? The boundary 10m away from you?

Steelevill

Thanks Cookie Monster. Nice to hear it said.

Cannot work today! Still on a high buzz about yesterday's epic game. It is said it is the most important game of the H & A season and may rank just below the GF (beating PF?). If so, ANZAC Day is inhabited by members and supporters of the two clubs, not corporate freeloaders and competition winners. So to me, that makes it a better game than the GF, in most cases.

The Sub rule has made the last quarter of a game more desperate, in that exhausted players somehow fight on with deteriorating skills. After a 4-day break it was like all of the match yesterday was played in a 4th quarter atmosphere, with the weather conspiring to add another layer of desperation. Fantastic effort from both teams, I suppose moreso from Essendon, with Hibberd going down so early.

Some points I'd like to mention:
1. Yes, I am a spud, who traded out my first-picked Swan for Gazza. Instant joy has turned to muck very quickly.

2. Essendon was credited with 1 bounce. If so, I missed it. When Cale Hooker was running around in circles, trying to evade Travis Cloke, from high in the GSS I called, "How far?". To which I was shouted down by the 95% Essendon majority in my vicinity, "He bounced it, ya moron!". I retorted, "I am not a moron, Madam. Just very far away".

3. Dawes? What does he aim at when kicking for goal? Also, Sinclair, Goldsack and Fasolo. Any of these muppets could have been subbed for Ugle, but no, they took young Seedy off.

4. Free kicks 17:10, and not one to Collingwood in the last quarter. Questionable.

5. Video review needs work. Are goal umpires under that much pressure that they cannot tell if a ball is touched, or touches a post? They need to form an opinion or sit out next week. Once again, from my lofty position I thought both were goals (Goldsack and Blair, thank goodness for the Hobbit!), but it was a minority opinion in my neighbourhood.

6. Stanton kicks a goal to put Essendon in front and an older bloke behind me thumped the seats repeatedly, the first noise he had made all day. The 4-year old behind me, with his incessant "Boo Collingwood!", his foul-mouthed mother and his stinky-bottomed baby sister, too bad you lost.

7. Siren, just relief and disbelief. Thank you, Pies. A modern day classic and a good result. Wholly satisfying. :)

Torpedo10

Quote from: Cookie Monster on April 25, 2012, 10:41:40 PM
Torp, umpires didn't ruin the game, they were good today.

And with Zaharakis,

1. Watson picked it up and played advantage.
2. he was 80 out, he had no chance of kicking anything.

Stop being a sore loser, we didn't deserve to win, we were outplayed the whole game.

I am proud of how Resiliant Essendon are, after Hibberd went down, I thought we we're going to lose by 8 goals.

Beating Carlton and losing by a point to last years Grand Finalist, I call that a pretty good start.

Hopefully we get a few players back for Brisbane as well and then be ready for the next 5 games before our bye.

I tried looking for excuses for our loss, maybe a couple odd decisions, but they didn't effect anything, the game was a good old scrap fest and I look toward the rest of the season.

Bombers did me proud <3
Umpiring was fair although game but I still think at this point Umpy should have stopped Watson.....Or maybe it's just cause I hate the advantage rule. Cookie, He was about 50 out. could have scored atleast. Essendon played a great match overall but it was abit sloppy. both teams could play better so I look forward to next time these teams play each other.  :)

Cruiseon

Quote from: Steelevill on April 26, 2012, 04:26:39 PM
Thanks Cookie Monster. Nice to hear it said.

Cannot work today! Still on a high buzz about yesterday's epic game. It is said it is the most important game of the H & A season and may rank just below the GF (beating PF?). If so, ANZAC Day is inhabited by members and supporters of the two clubs, not corporate freeloaders and competition winners. So to me, that makes it a better game than the GF, in most cases.

The Sub rule has made the last quarter of a game more desperate, in that exhausted players somehow fight on with deteriorating skills. After a 4-day break it was like all of the match yesterday was played in a 4th quarter atmosphere, with the weather conspiring to add another layer of desperation. Fantastic effort from both teams, I suppose moreso from Essendon, with Hibberd going down so early.

Some points I'd like to mention:
1. Yes, I am a spud, who traded out my first-picked Swan for Gazza. Instant joy has turned to muck very quickly.

2. Essendon was credited with 1 bounce. If so, I missed it. When Cale Hooker was running around in circles, trying to evade Travis Cloke, from high in the GSS I called, "How far?". To which I was shouted down by the 95% Essendon majority in my vicinity, "He bounced it, ya moron!". I retorted, "I am not a moron, Madam. Just very far away".

3. Dawes? What does he aim at when kicking for goal? Also, Sinclair, Goldsack and Fasolo. Any of these muppets could have been subbed for Ugle, but no, they took young Seedy off.

4. Free kicks 17:10, and not one to Collingwood in the last quarter. Questionable.

5. Video review needs work. Are goal umpires under that much pressure that they cannot tell if a ball is touched, or touches a post? They need to form an opinion or sit out next week. Once again, from my lofty position I thought both were goals (Goldsack and Blair, thank goodness for the Hobbit!), but it was a minority opinion in my neighbourhood.

6. Stanton kicks a goal to put Essendon in front and an older bloke behind me thumped the seats repeatedly, the first noise he had made all day. The 4-year old behind me, with his incessant "Boo Collingwood!", his foul-mouthed mother and his stinky-bottomed baby sister, too bad you lost.

7. Siren, just relief and disbelief. Thank you, Pies. A modern day classic and a good result. Wholly satisfying. :)

Nicely summed up. If it helps I was on ground level, centre wing and saw it just the same as yourself.

Ziplock

look blairs goal, even in super slow motion you can't really determine if it was touched or not to be fair.

AFEV

Quote from: Ziplock on April 26, 2012, 08:44:25 PM
look blairs goal, even in super slow motion you can't really determine if it was touched or not to be fair.
Looks to be touched to me but to be perfectly honest Collingwood deserved the 4 points regardless.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Sid on April 26, 2012, 09:35:45 PM
Quote from: Ziplock on April 26, 2012, 08:44:25 PM
Looks to be touched to me but to be perfectly honest Collingwood deserved the 4 points regardless.
Does to me too, but Collingwood deserved the points, your not going to have controversy throughout the year, this is just 1 of those times.

Cruiseon

People always talk about sharing Anzac Day with other clubs which, whilst somewhat biased (and selfish) I don't agree. Other than people turning up to the G these figures speak volumes about the interest that these two clubs continue to generate.

ANZAC Day national average tv audiences in recent years are as follows:

2006 - 1.643.439 million
2007 - 1,571,089 million
2008 - 1,501,145 million
2009 - 1,447,377 million
2010 - 1,175,939 million
2011 - 1,428,815 million
2012 -  1,726,339 million