The Best Option?

Robinson
Riewoldt
Sidebottom
Whitecross
Chapman
I'm Keeping Fyfe

Praetorian

To be honest, I really hope they do decide to rest him this week. If he does play, I don't think it will be as the sub, so we'll all be teased into hanging on to him. If Freo have a lead going into the third/fourth quarter, they'll sub him off, just to be safe.

Lyon's made it pretty clear that Fyfe will be managed through the rest of the season even if he doesn't need surgery. That means substitutions, missed games, and general bollocks that will make his coaches' lives a living hell.

And yet, if he does get named, I'll be right there with everyone else being tempted to keep him.  :-\ Maybe I should just decide to trade him out, come what may?

stew42

Quote from: Praetorian on April 18, 2012, 12:51:55 PM
To be honest, I really hope they do decide to rest him this week. If he does play, I don't think it will be as the sub, so we'll all be teased into hanging on to him. If Freo have a lead going into the third/fourth quarter, they'll sub him off, just to be safe.

Lyon's made it pretty clear that Fyfe will be managed through the rest of the season even if he doesn't need surgery. That means substitutions, missed games, and general bollocks that will make his coaches' lives a living hell.

And yet, if he does get named, I'll be right there with everyone else being tempted to keep him.  :-\ Maybe I should just decide to trade him out, come what may?

That's what I'm probably gonna do

Memphistopheles

I heard on the radio this morning that the Dockers will look for a second opinion from a surgeon in Melbourne in the next couple of days but were confident he will play.

And if he plays Fyfe is staying in my team.

I highly doubt he will be the sub or be subbed off if he plays, he is just too important to their team.

Also trades are too important this year with the bye rounds to waste one trading out a premium player who is playing.

lollipop man

All the people saying he'll be sub/subbed are quite wrong. Fyfe is not going to be subbed to be on the safe side, if he plays he'll play full games. They're not going to play him if there's any doubt at all. Do you really think they'd regularly sub him to be safe??? If they were that worried they wouldn't even be playing him ffs.

elephants

Quote from: lollipop man on April 18, 2012, 03:24:22 PM
All the people saying he'll be sub/subbed are quite wrong. Fyfe is not going to be subbed to be on the safe side, if he plays he'll play full games. They're not going to play him if there's any doubt at all. Do you really think they'd regularly sub him to be safe??? If they were that worried they wouldn't even be playing him ffs.

You're assuming he plays the match out with his incredibly loose shoulder in place and therefore not copping any bumps.
St. Kilda are notorious for 'testing' the shoulders of injured players. Check out Joey Montagna on Ed Curnow last season ::)
If he plays don't expect the Saints to not make sure his shoulder is 100%

Praetorian

Quote from: lollipop man on April 18, 2012, 03:24:22 PM

Sure they would. He's one of the better midfielders they've got, so they'll play him when they need him, and sub him off when they don't. Hell, the Pies put Luke Ball back on the field when there was surely doubt, and now they're not sure whether his season-ending injury was caused before or after they sent him back on the field. Why? Because they were losing in what they saw as a must-win game.

Of course, you could well be right. That's just what I'd be likely to do, if I were a coach (yes, I'm well aware I'm not).

Colliwobblers

hard to say, surely he is no more impotant than barlow or mundy both of whom were vested into games, not a big stretch expecting barlow to start mundy to move up to a starter and fyfe be the sub, but more likely if  he is playing he will start with the option then available to sub him off if he gets sore or injured.

i'm VERY reluctant to trade him out but the risk in keeping him is huge, the chance of another dislocation is HUGE and you would think the next time surgery becomes more likely to be the chosen option.

joreo12

what do people think of downgrading to stanley and leaving cash in the bank for a week?

Windigo

It is to my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong....Last year he suffered partial dislocations, but this was a full blooded dislocation of his other shoulder, the one not operated on during pre-season.

TheHanger

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/newsId/133412/Default.aspx

I know people here pretty much hate him, but this is Doctor Dream Team's view

Colliwobblers

Quote from: Windigo on April 18, 2012, 05:04:23 PM
It is to my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong....Last year he suffered partial dislocations, but this was a full blooded dislocation of his other shoulder, the one not operated on during pre-season.

i thought it was the same one and partial again, big partial but still popped right back in again and he could play like last season every game just pop it back in strap it up and take a shot of hardness :)

i may be completely wrong this is just what i assumed it wass the one that was strapped from memory so i assumed that would be the reconstructed one he had the issues with last season. I'll go find out....

Justin Bieber

Dr Dreamteam advice on Fyfe

IT IS a dilemma facing more than 100,000 Dream Team coaches this week.

What to do with Fremantle star Nathan Fyfe?

Fyfe was subbed out of last week's win over the Brisbane Lions with a dislocated shoulder and only 22 points to his name.

In the news we've heard so far, Fyfe could play this week against St Kilda or he could undergo surgery and miss the rest of the year.

The only thing clear about this situation is that Dream Teamers have suffered. 

In our favour, the Freo game is on Friday night, meaning final teams will be known at 6.20pm AEDT, giving us 90 minutes to decide what to do with Fyfe if he isn't playing.

Wait until you know whether he's going to play before you make your moves, but it's important to start your thinking now.

Some options for you to consider: 

A like-for-like trade
The problem with this option is that there aren't too many premium forwards screaming out 'Pick me!' Fyfe is valued at $450,000, and in that price region is Collingwood's Travis Cloke ($446,000), Carlton's Mitch Robinson ($459,800) and his Freo teammate Matthew Pavlich ($431,800).

Former North Melbourne captain Brent Harvey is $440,400, but it would be a stretch trading Fyfe for Harvey and expecting the same output. If you don't have any cash in the bank, I'd almost wait until next week when Steve Johnson ($481,000) drops further in value.

The Cats star dipped $49,000 in price this week and needs 148 points this week to break even. It won't happen, meaning he will probably drop to about $455-460,000.

Cash in
If you don't want to go for a star to replace Fyfe and also want to avoid a mid-pricer - we should all steer clear of them - then you could be interested in a huge downgrade.

The only problem here is that there aren't a lot of viable choices. One could be Geelong's Billie Smedts ($104,200), who has shown a bit of talent but is yet to have his first price upgrade. The other choice could be Greater Western Sydney's Adam Treloar ($104,200), who played his first game for the Giants last weekend.

He managed 66 points on debut, and if he can continue at that rate he'll rise sharply in value in two weeks. Of course, if you choose this way to get Fyfe out of your side, you'll have around $350,000 left over to use on other players.

Use the dual position switch
Thanks to the flexible trading rules, if you have Fyfe in your forward line (which most coaches will), you can basically trade him out and get a premium midfielder in for him.

Lots of coaches have midfielder/forwards Devon Smith and Adam Kennedy in their midfield, with one of the Giants pair likely sitting on the midfield bench. Given Fyfe's dual position status as a forward/midfielder, you could swap Fyfe for Kennedy and then have Kennedy as a starting forward.

That leaves Fyfe on your midfield bench, and gives you the option of trading him for a star midfielder. Around his current value, you could bolster your midfield with Carlton's Andrew Carrazzo ($452,000) or Geelong's James Kelly ($452,700).

If you have some spare money in the bank you could trade in underrated Blues midfielder Kade Simpson ($467,000) or even the in-form West Coast Eagle Scott Selwood ($468,800).

owenbond007

LOL! Dr. DT the spud, the fact he mentioned boomer, downgrade to smedts, No consideation @ all for whitecross.

Mish