bomberboy0618

I stick rocket boosters to the ball.

Ziplock

oh, k, that makes sense then.

Master Q

Quote from: PowerBug on April 10, 2012, 12:29:47 PM
Quote from: Master Q on April 10, 2012, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on April 10, 2012, 12:00:00 PM
Did you about 70% of behinds are to the right hand side.
As more people are right footed.
Yep, that's what makes it so weird. The natural curve for a right footer is right to left. So they should be missing to the left. ;) The left footers should be missing to the right. Don't look at buddy when it comes to left footers kicking. :P
Not really. Do you find it easier kicking from the left side of goals are the right side? I think most people would say left (right footed).

CrowsFan

Quote from: Master Q on April 10, 2012, 09:20:12 PM
Yep, that's what makes it so weird. The natural curve for a right footer is right to left. So they should be missing to the left. ;) The left footers should be missing to the right. Don't look at buddy when it comes to left footers kicking. :P
Not really. Do you find it easier kicking from the left side of goals are the right side? I think most people would say left (right footed).
Yeah because they hook it from right to left, which means it's easier to kick from the left side of goal

Master Q

Quote from: CrowsFan on April 10, 2012, 09:21:56 PM
Yeah because they hook it from right to left, which means it's easier to kick from the left side of goal
Exactly...

pyronerd

Quote from: Master Q on April 10, 2012, 09:23:34 PM
Quote from: CrowsFan on April 10, 2012, 09:21:56 PM
Exactly...
I'm left-footed and find it easier to kick it from the left-hand side, it's much easier to purposefully 'reverse swing' it if you will :-X

CrowsFan

Q I think you misunderstood what PB said to start with.
He was saying that 70% of behinds are to the right hand side of the goal, not kicking from the right hand side. This is odd because right footers hook the ball from right to left, so in reality you would expect most that most behinds would be to the left hand side of the goal.

Master Q

Quote from: CrowsFan on April 10, 2012, 09:28:40 PM
Q I think you misunderstood what PB said to start with.
He was saying that 70% of behinds are to the right hand side of the goal, not kicking from the right hand side. This is odd because right footers hook the ball from right to left, so in reality you would expect most that most behinds would be to the left hand side of the goal.
Oh I thought he meant standing on the right hand side...

PowerBug

yep, what CF said. :) That's why i found it odd.

Zombie2.5

Quote from: bomberboy0618 on April 10, 2012, 08:07:19 PM
I handball the ball from 80m out. You are all weak.
So you get a point

The rest of us get 6 points :D
:P
You lose  ;D

bomberboy0618

Quote from: Zombie2.5 on April 11, 2012, 10:07:57 PM
Quote from: bomberboy0618 on April 10, 2012, 08:07:19 PM
I handball the ball from 80m out. You are all weak.
So you get a point

The rest of us get 6 points :D
:P
You lose  ;D
I get 3 votes for it though.
I am Chris Judd so that explains it.

Maca24

In the last 2 weeks I've had some of my worse goalkicking form. :/
Note that all my set shots have been on the right side of goal which IMO is much harder for a right footer!

Last week I kicked 2.4 which was really disappointing. 2 set shots from the right side both floated through.
Looking back I've identified that I wasn't focusing on a particular point behind the goals and was trying to over kick the ball while not using my set run up. Negative thoughts are also a big no-no!

This week I had 2 shots, 1.1. My first was 45m out with a slight wind in my face. I followed my routine and focused on a particular point. The ball came well off my boot and just faded late to go over the post, deemed a point. Didn't mind as I think I've found confidence in what I'm doing now. :)

In the past Ive been a really accurate set shot and the best in the team but I've been a bit off starting this season.
So things I think are important.

1. Practice a set run through that you are comfortable with and remember to use it game day.
2. Don't over think it, make it natural and have a clear head!
3. Make sure you are dropping the ball cleanly.
4. Focus on a particular spot behind the goals.
5. Follow through with the kick and make sure you don't try and bury the ball.

roo boys!

Like a lot of others have said, you don't necessarily need to have a textbook technique. You need to have some basics, like it's obvious if you are dropping the ball from too high then there is more chance you will get bad connection, and you must have all your momentum heading towards the target and follow through in that direction.

Find something that works for you and practice it whenever you get the opportunity. You don't even need a ball, just practice your action in the hallway of your house or whatever. Do this until it becomes a routine and is like a second nature for you and you can just go back and do it without even thinking.

As demonstrated by many (Lindsay probably a prime example :'() a lot of it is in your head. Like Maca said, you gotta have a clear head with no negative thoughts as you are kicking (and as you are doing just about anything really!)

If you miss a few or are having a bad run or whatever, don't panic. Just trust your processes and routines and it will come.

Best of luck :)

CrowsFan

Well with the scrutiny around Tippett's accuracy Brenton Sanderson decided to weigh in on the debate about technique. This is what he had to say ;)

Quote"I think we've all got issues with our own techniques … even some of the best goal kickers through the history of the game have got some flaws," he said.

"It's what's comfortable, similar to free throw shooting in basketball … same with putting in golf. As much as you can practice, sometimes you can't replicate the stresses associated with kicking a goal under pressure."