Main Menu

Goalkicking Technique

Started by FisherSaints, April 10, 2012, 11:25:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FisherSaints

Do you guys know any ways that work to kick goals? What is your technique

PowerBug

Watch Travis Cloke play. :P

Do what Schulzy does, and run in from the start. Works for me. Don't drop the ball from too high, and watch it all the way onto your foot, then finish like this guy:

FisherSaints

Quote from: PowerBug on April 10, 2012, 11:27:25 AM
Do what Schulzy does, and run in from the start.
What do you mean by this

BGK

Quote from: PowerBug on April 10, 2012, 11:27:25 AM
Watch Travis Cloke play. :P

Do what Schulzy does, and run in from the start. Works for me. Don't drop the ball from too high, and watch it all the way onto your foot, then finish like this guy:

Why would you want to finish like Roo? He is one of the worst kicks for goal.

PowerBug

I was joking about the roo bit. ;)

Most players when lining up for goal walk a few steps then go onto a jog. Schulz starts running straight away, and he hardly misses.

crabapples

Quote from: FisherSaints on April 10, 2012, 11:25:08 AM
Do you guys know any ways that work to kick goals? What is your technique

Aim for the middle of the 2 big ones ;)

Haha, alot of the time the mistake is that the kick is straight but they aimed it the wrong way ( sounds silly) if u get a cam shot from behind u can see it the best. Ull see the player walk in a diagnel then the kuck is straight but misses due to the mis directed walk. I am no jason dunstall ( i sugest u listen to his comments) but when i kick good im not thinking about kicking it between the middle ALL i think about is walking straight. I trust my kick will be a straight one its just a matter of aiming it properly. Hope this's a help i tend to ramble :)

crabapples

I was going to suggest arron edwards and jimmy bartel as blokes u should take note of also

Ziplock

I try to kick like lindsay thomas.

PowerBug

Did you about 70% of behinds are to the right hand side.

crabapples

Master Q

Quote from: PowerBug on April 10, 2012, 12:00:00 PM
As more people are right footed.

PowerBug

Quote from: Master Q on April 10, 2012, 12:24:58 PM
Quote from: PowerBug on April 10, 2012, 12:00:00 PM
As more people are right footed.
Yep, that's what makes it so weird. The natural curve for a right footer is right to left. So they should be missing to the left. ;) The left footers should be missing to the right. Don't look at buddy when it comes to left footers kicking. :P

Noz

I tend to swing my arms a lot on the walk in then straighting them up just before I kick it has worked for me alot I am a pretty accurate set shoter

TheMailman

Quote from: Noz on April 10, 2012, 02:04:52 PM
I tend to swing my arms a lot on the walk in then straighting them up just before I kick it has worked for me alot I am a pretty accurate set shoter

It might work for you but that is a notorious no no when it comes to goal kicking.

Becoming a good kick for goal just requires practice. A showerload of practice. I went down to my local oval with my dad 2-3 days a week and practised on leading marks and kicking goals. It's about getting a style that suits you properly when you kick. You can try the unorthodox methods such as Franklin and Fevola but you'll find that the best goalkickers (Lockett Ablett) just kept everything straight and in alignment with where they wanted to kick the ball. Trying to do a Didak or Dale Thomas style torpedo is extrodinarily hard, no matter how easy they made it look.

Hope I helped somewhat

meow meow

Matthew Lloyd has the perfect technique, except for kicking with a slightly bent knee. Copy him.