Word of friendly advice to other newbies

Started by ubeaut, April 05, 2012, 04:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ubeaut

I've learnt the hard way to take everything people say on these forums with a grain of salt. If I've learnt anything from my short SC experience it is to do as much of your own research as possible and trust your gut feel.
Already I've picked Swan over Pendles, even though I knew Pendles is better at SC I got persuaded by the "he will go down in price" argument. Who cares? Just pick the best players. He probably will come down in price but what good is it if you're already so far behind from not picking him to start with?

Not going to name names,but a regular and respected poster told me that Adcock would not be a good pick as he was tagging all PS,and there's no Raines. Well now I've missed out on Adcock because I listened to this instead of backing my own judgement. Claye Beams tagged Moloney and will prob tag Murphy or Judd tonight. They also said Taylor Hunt would NOT tag and he tagged Hill. You get the picture.

No disrespect intended to anyone on here, I appreciate feedback and know alot of you have good advice at times.
Just wanted to warn other relative newbies not to make the same mistakes I made. TRUST YOUR GUT.

Disco

The best advice I ever got for anything was "listen to everyones advice and go with what you like best"

colmullet

great advice, gotta back your own judgement......otherwise we all end up playing the same teams/strategies

bomberboy0618

Quote from: ubeaut on April 05, 2012, 04:19:38 PM
I've learnt the hard way to take everything people say on these forums with a grain of salt. If I've learnt anything from my short SC experience it is to do as much of your own research as possible and trust your gut feel.
Already I've picked Swan over Pendles, even though I knew Pendles is better at SC I got persuaded by the "he will go down in price" argument. Who cares? Just pick the best players. He probably will come down in price but what good is it if you're already so far behind from not picking him to start with?

Not going to name names,but a regular and respected poster told me that Adcock would not be a good pick as he was tagging all PS,and there's no Raines. Well now I've missed out on Adcock because I listened to this instead of backing my own judgement. Claye Beams tagged Moloney and will prob tag Murphy or Judd tonight. They also said Taylor Hunt would NOT tag and he tagged Hill. You get the picture.

No disrespect intended to anyone on here, I appreciate feedback and know alot of you have good advice at times.
Just wanted to warn other relative newbies not to make the same mistakes I made. TRUST YOUR GUT.
I hate to say it but unless I hold a gun to your head I can't make you not pick anyone in the end.
I agree with what you say but own up to your mistakes.

JamSainter

You sound a bit disgruntled. I for one, love the forum, peoples advice . I weigh it all up and then make a decision I am happy with, not what makes some other forum user happy.

Disco

QuoteIf I've learnt anything from my short SC experience it is to do as much of your own research as possible and trust your gut feel.
QuoteI weigh it all up and then make a decision I am happy with, not what makes some other forum user happy.

Both of these quotes are spot on. These forums are usually only peoples opinions not facts. Do your own research so you know crap advice from good advice. Don't take everybodies opinion as gospel

MC

Spot on. It's amazing how everyone on the internet can instantly be transformed into an 'expert' based on replicating something they've heard from a 'reliable source...'

Do your own research. Filter out the crap advice/babble. Make your own decision(s).

Enjoy the ride!

Dudge

I'm 50-50 on this subject, because u do listen to people close to their own clubs. As me and Grazz have said to each other, we don't get alot of over the border goss that some people are privvy to. For example if someone came off at training, or someone played junior footy with one of the rookies coming through etc-etc. On the other hand as everyone has stated, do your research and go with your gut. I say enjoy the site and sift through all the info and keep hoping you made the right decision

T Dog

Quote from: MC on April 05, 2012, 05:31:14 PM
Spot on. It's amazing how everyone on the internet can instantly be transformed into an 'expert' based on replicating something they've heard from a 'reliable source...'

Lol mc  8)

A bottle of red wine while watching a game tends to make me an expert. Everything becomes clear to me and my instincts are heightened. As a reliable source I have found actually watching the game is best. :o

cortez

Honestly no one on here is an expert. some people know more than others due to more research and others think they know know more. In the end no one knows what will happen and who will score more. such desions like:

pendles or swan
lake or dempsey
adcock or broughton
fyfe or pav

and so on are in the end personally made. people may tell you one thing or the other but in the end it is your choice. ill just say one more thing, dont make the assumption after one round that pendlea is better than swan or adcock is better than the back you picked. ill ask you this. do you feel that stanton is a better pick than watson cause he outscored him in round 1?

upthemaidens

will you thank the person who talked you out of getting adcock when he gets a 5 week injury mid season?

Ringo

Ubeaut - Could not agree with you more basically trust your gut.  We provide a lot of advice based on our knowledge at the point in time.  I am a passionate Brisbane supporter as you know but even I did not expect to see Adcock start in the midfield.  I also expected Beams to play a more forward role rather than the tagging role he ended up with.  Not offering excuses but pointing out that Coaches change around the team structures not in the way we expect. (I would not advise against Adcock as I expected him to continue his dominant half back role)

All my posts I try and back up with facts as I see them but at times I too can get it wrong and I admit that.  I was one of the many that thought Pendles will go down in Price and I am still reserving my Judgement on that one as he still has to score relatively highly this week to maintain his price.

So what I am saying is digest what we say and then digest it and see if it is viable for your team and go with your gut feeling. Even we have been at times been sucked in by advice given.

We will all have differing opinion on certain subjects to which is why you have to weigh everything up from the advice given.

JamSainter

Quote from: cortez on April 05, 2012, 06:17:00 PM
Honestly no one on here is an expert. some people know more than others due to more research and others think they know know more. In the end no one knows what will happen and who will score more. such desions like:

pendles or swan
lake or dempsey
adcock or broughton
fyfe or pav

and so on are in the end personally made. people may tell you one thing or the other but in the end it is your choice. ill just say one more thing, dont make the assumption after one round that pendlea is better than swan or adcock is better than the back you picked. ill ask you this. do you feel that stanton is a better pick than watson cause he outscored him in round 1?
Perfectly said Cortez, you legend! +1

Free Kick

Spot on mate..

Someone once advised me to pick Relton Roberts..

Luckily I went with my gut which said NO F#%K&#G WAY!! 8)

m1tch robo

I think that you need to realize that all is not lost. It's round 2 of 23 this week. I took swan over pendles, broughton over adcock and Scotland over Goddard. Wait a few rounds. You chose your team based on what you ultimately thought (or were made to think) was the best possible team. Believe in your choices and they could all still come good. And if they don't then you were unlucky. IMO DT and SC success involves 50% luck and 50% management.

Don't be too disheartened the Car could still be yours