How to improve fantasy football

Started by wharf_army, April 02, 2012, 02:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wharf_army

Each year most sides go the guns and rookies strategy.

We all read the same web articles and all we end up with the majority of the same rookies and guns.

Could fantasy football be imporved by having more restrictions $ value of players we can select?

For example if each field position you could only selected 1 or 2 players over $500k and a only a 3 players below $180k per position

Therefore we would all be secleting more mid priced players and trying to find break out players

Just a thought, but startiing to get frustrated with lack of individualism in fantasy land

colmullet

either that or reduce the number of trades, that would force more mid-price risks

Justin Bieber

Pretty much round 1 was guns n rooks.

I had one midpricer and the rest guns and am sitting 1,011

First had two mid pricers and rest guns. So it seems Golby and Hargrave are the only midpricers to look at.

Capper

i think with the way the afl have done the byeas this year that will have an effect on who we pick. Neext year will be a completely different ball game as there will be no new teams to leech cheep players off

Scrads

I think a simpler way of doing that would just be to reduce the salary cap. If you do that, then people have to choose less guns. And if they are still doing GnR, they need to choose MORE rookies (which starts getting risky as there might not be that many good rookies). So this would mean mid-pricers have more value.

Honestly wouldnt mind if they did this.

upthemaidens

Quote from: tabs on April 02, 2012, 05:50:09 PM
i think with the way the afl have done the byeas this year that will have an effect on who we pick. Neext year will be a completely different ball game as there will be no new teams to leech cheep players off
+1  we have had a few weird years in footy,, byes/new teams.   i think a slight reduction in salary cap would be good thing(not to much,maybe 500k-1 million) just enough to make mid price players more tempting. no new team as well will mean less rookies with decent job security

Mr.Craig

How about this -

We have a squad the same size as an AFL team and have a similar salary cap. You can nominate which players are on your "main list" and which are on your "rookie list". You can upgrade players from the "rookie list" before or during the season using the same rules that the AFL has.

There are 4 pre determined "trade weeks" when you can swap out a maximum of 6 players each. The same price rise/drop equation would be maintained.

I should point out that you'd be able to select rookie players for your "main list" as well as your "rookie list" prior to the start of the season, just that the "rookie list" players would be subject to the aforementioned rules.

I'm not saying it's a perfect system (ie - you might have a hard time getting rookies on the bubble) but it has the potential to increase the skill required.

upthemaidens

the thing also to remember is that DT/SC is for the masses,, so it cant be too complexed, needs to be a social work/school thing
there are many other comps that have different rules and such, but theres not nomally 50k for the winner >:( as a prize,, and thats if theres a prize at all in some cases
   simple things like changing salary caps or amount of trades(which if there are no byes next year will go back to 20). are probably all Champion Data will change

henry

I choose a lot more midpricers than I probably should. I like taking a risk and its great when they pay off, because often they are quite unique. This year my mid pricers are howard,  christensen, shuey, caddy, porplyzia and rioli. Most of these haven't paid off so faf, but hopefully they will. For me picking mid pricers makes it more fun. Its also true that in coming years more risks will need to be taken as there will not be as many good rookies. I think your idea is too complicated for new players to understand, though it would be interesting and would for sure reduce the gap at the top of the leaderboard.

TheHanger

Quote from: henry on April 03, 2012, 07:22:09 PM
I choose a lot more midpricers than I probably should. I like taking a risk and its great when they pay off, because often they are quite unique. This year my mid pricers are howard,  christensen, shuey, caddy, porplyzia and rioli. Most of these haven't paid off so faf, but hopefully they will. For me picking mid pricers makes it more fun. Its also true that in coming years more risks will need to be taken as there will not be as many good rookies. I think your idea is too complicated for new players to understand, though it would be interesting and would for sure reduce the gap at the top of the leaderboard.

yeah I went for a lot of MidPricers too :)
Waters, Grimes, Dempsey, Winderlich, Caddy, Parker, Macintosh

Dave085

I dont mind the idea but...

Wouldnt it just raise the same issue, same guns, same rookies, same mid pricers???

Not hatin, just askin...

The-Pope

The problem I see is that too many "should be mids" are bumped up too high.  They need to "fill the gap" between the rookies and mids by dropping all of the 200-350k players by 25-50k.  Otherwise next year will be a disaster without having the plethora of 100k GC/GWS rookies to allow you to go a premium/rookie with a few previous-year-injured guys in the middle.

Capper

Here is a thought (and i was actually going to start a thread but forgot) what about having TPP or FPP triple or 4 position players. They exist already for the Swans
LRT FWD, Ruck, Back
Goodes FWD, Mid, Ruck
Bird FWD, Mid, Back

another idea is limit the amount of players from each team you can have at any one time to 3 and/or you must select atleast one player from each team in the AFL

jabroni

how will it improve anything? Serious question.

the increase in prices$$ this year has already prompted more ppl to grab mid pricers but everyone is on the same mid pricers so no uniques there either.

Backs - everyone has either hargrave, lake, dempsey and a few jumped on golby or waters - how is this different from everyone jumping aboard scotland, goddard, shaw, broughts etc?

Mids - guys topping my league have mccarthy or hayes as thier 5th mid then theres the hyped up ones like parker, masten, ebert, caddy etc

rucks - kreuzer, hmac

Fwds - porps, hale, j roo, callinan

So its not going to lead to more unique teams - everyone going mid pricers would have a mix of the above and then you would still be whinging about unique teams.

Look at the EPL fantasy - 2.7 million players - yet theres so many unique teams (just look at the top 10) because you can do 1 trade a week (still can do more but cop a points hit) and have 2 wildcards a year. Thats how you get unique teams.

Scrads

Quote from: jabroni on April 12, 2012, 04:41:02 PM
how will it improve anything? Serious question.

the increase in prices$$ this year has already prompted more ppl to grab mid pricers but everyone is on the same mid pricers so no uniques there either.

Backs - everyone has either hargrave, lake, dempsey and a few jumped on golby or waters - how is this different from everyone jumping aboard scotland, goddard, shaw, broughts etc?

Mids - guys topping my league have mccarthy or hayes as thier 5th mid then theres the hyped up ones like parker, masten, ebert, caddy etc

rucks - kreuzer, hmac

Fwds - porps, hale, j roo, callinan

So its not going to lead to more unique teams - everyone going mid pricers would have a mix of the above and then you would still be whinging about unique teams.

Look at the EPL fantasy - 2.7 million players - yet theres so many unique teams (just look at the top 10) because you can do 1 trade a week (still can do more but cop a points hit) and have 2 wildcards a year. Thats how you get unique teams.

Alot of people think that because of the higher prices that it means you have to choose less premiums.

Do they not realise that the salary cap is higher and we have less players to pick from than last year ?

Surely any man and his dog can see that the price of players rise EVERY year, I remember back in the day when rookies were 25k and Shane Crawford and Peter Everitt were the 2 best players and were 300k.