Main Menu

Broughton the Barometer

Started by valkorum, March 30, 2012, 04:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valkorum

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/131872/default.aspx

QuoteFROM the chance he was thrown as a mature-age rookie to his latest foray in the midfield, Fremantle's Greg Broughton has made an art form of grasping opportunities

Cruiseon

I would say that good teams don't actually have a barometer, this type of terminology is usually used around middle of the road teams. I'm not having a crack at Freo by the way, you just don't hear the Geelong or Collingwood teams being assigned an individual player who is a barometer.

Cicjose

but lots of people think that we can make the 4

valkorum

Just clarifying that the club hasnt said that Broughton is the barometer - the journalist Nathan Schmook did. 

Ziplock

sorry, what's a barometer in footy terms? :S

Colliwobblers

its an indication of the climate at the club :)

The only thing relevant in all of this tho is that Lyons will use Broughton where he best suits Lyond purposes so if he thinks he is a gun midfielder that's where he will play if he thinks there are better options then he won't this is enough to encourage you to pick broughton but no guarantee he will play in the middle or at least "stay" in the middle

Cruiseon

Quote from: valkorum on March 30, 2012, 05:21:32 PM
Just clarifying that the club hasnt said that Broughton is the barometer - the journalist Nathan Schmook did.

That was my point, I think it's a bit of a lazy throw-away line.

For the record I have Broughton in my SC side (again!) so here's to a big season.

TheMailman

Quote from: Ziplock on March 30, 2012, 05:46:59 PM
sorry, what's a barometer in footy terms? :S

Yeah a barometer shows where something is at.

Sydney is often classified as a finals barometer, mainly because they don't beat many teams above the final 8 and often win against the lower ones

Ziplock

I know what an actual barometer is, thats why I specified in footy terms... cheers though :P

Cruiseon

Interesting that Freo were awesome whilst (alas for my SC team) Broughton was not.

I still think it was simplistic journalism. Oh well, we move on.

valkorum

Quote from: Cruiseon on April 02, 2012, 04:51:17 PM

Interesting that Freo were awesome whilst (alas for my SC team) Broughton was not.

I still think it was simplistic journalism. Oh well, we move on.

Broughts was good - he was playing a lock down role on Stevie J.

Cicjose

Broughton has done that job in the past not sure why people are surprised at the low score

valkorum

Quote from: Cicjose on April 02, 2012, 05:56:05 PM
Broughton has done that job in the past not sure why people are surprised at the low score

Exactly, although I was hoping for at least a 70