The 2012 FanFooty AFL/VFL Trivia Quiz! (Round 3 Q's are up!)

Started by c4v3m4n, March 26, 2012, 11:40:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat0369

I put my answers in that day anyway. I put my reason in brackets for not naming a certain stadium.

Zombie2.5

gossiboy

c4v3m4n

Quote from: gossiboy on April 05, 2012, 07:18:00 PM
I didn't take part last week but can you sign me up?

Sure, no worries. Just send me your answers if you haven't already.

BTW, with question 13, the super-hard one, I'm going to give you all a second chance. I'm going to reword it due to some answers received (yes, I'm looking at all the people that answered this one so far with "Melbourne" or "It's current location"). Not really what I was after. ::)

Question 13. Name one of the original proposed sites for the MCG (other than its current location and more specific than just a suburb)

For example you could say: "Princes Park, Carlton" or "Where Flagstaff station is now" or " Batman's Hill in Melbourne" or "Around the corner of Dorcas St and Ferras St in Melbourne". I'll be generous as well if I feel you were close enough.

CrowsFan

Is one of the examples you just gave us a correct one? :P

Boomz

Good then... Means my answer should be accepted... now I just need to hope it's actually right lol

c4v3m4n

Ringo

Trust you are feeling a little better and still looking after yourself.  Liked the questions this week and have PM'd you. Being one of the older players on the site may have had a bit of an advantage this week as I am a lot more confident with answers this week rather than last week. Not sure about Q13 being a banana bender.

c4v3m4n

Quote from: Ringo on April 07, 2012, 07:56:59 AM
Trust you are feeling a little better and still looking after yourself.

Yeah, feeling better, thanks to some wonderful medication.  ;D ;D

c4v3m4n

Hey everyone,

Just to let you all know, I'm currently in the process of collating all of the scores from the past two rounds. Once I have finished, I will announce the answers from the previous round, then the ladder, then I will also announce the all important questions for Round 3! ;D

Just to wet your appetite, this round will focus on the great "ruckmen" of our game. :o

Spite

c4v3m4n

Right, all questions from Round 1 and 2 have been corrected, the ladder has been made, so let's get this show on the road!

First up, the answers to last week! :D

Round 2: It's All About the Stadiums

Easy Questions (worth 1 point each)

Question 1. What is Brisbane Cricket Ground more commonly known as?

Answer: It's more commonly known as "The Gabba", because of the suburb where the ground is located, Woolloongabba.

Question 2. Which AFL ground has the second highest capacity?

Answer: The MCG has the highest at 100,016, and in second is ANZ Stadium (or Stadium Australia) with 83,500.

Question 3. Which of the following is the odd one out?

A. Shell Stadium
B. Simmonds Stadium
C. Samsung Stadium
D. Skilled Stadium

Answer: The answer is C. Shell Stadium, Simmonds Stadium and Skilled Stadium were/are names for Geelong's home ground, Kardinia Park.

Question 4. Name three stadiums that are no longer in use by the AFL/VFL.

Answer: I would have accepted any of the following: Albury Oval, Arden Street Oval, Brisbane Exhibition Ground, Bruce Stadium, Brunswick Street Oval, Coburg City Oval, Corio Oval, East Melbourne Cricket Ground, Euroa Oval, Glenferrie Oval, Junction Oval, Lake Oval, Moorabbin Oval, Motordrome, North Hobart Oval, Princes Park, Punt Road Oval, Toorak Park, Victoria Park, the WACA, Waverley Park, Western Oval, Windy Hill, Yarraville Oval or Yallourn Oval. Each of these grounds have held at least one H&A AFL/VFL match since 1896 and are now no longer used by the AFL for matches.

Question 5. In what year did Docklands Stadium host its first match?

A. 2000
B. 1995
C. 1990
D. 1985

Answer: A. 2000, where Essendon thrashed Port Adelaide to break in the new stadium.

Question 6. What stadium will host its first ever AFL match this weekend between North Melbourne and GWS?

Answer: Suprised by how many got this wrong. The answer is Blundstone Arena (or Bellerive Oval) in Hobart, TAS. GO ROOS! ;D

Medium Questions (worth 2 points each)

Question 7. Which state is home to the most AFL grounds that are used ONLY in the H&A season?

Answer: Unfortunately, it seems I didn't write this question the way I intended. What I was trying to get across is that NSW has 4 stadiums where they play AFL H&A matches at, more than anywhere else (and try to trick those people that still may think Victoria has the most). However, some people have taken the question more literally (and are more than correct), by eliminating the grounds used in finals series (as the question says ONLY in the H&A season), in which case the answer is not only NSW (Skoda Stadium and Blacktown International Sportspark) but also Tasmania (with Blundstone Arena and Aurora Stadium). I have awarded points to people who said either NSW or TAS as you are both correct.

Question 8. Which player has kicked the most goals at Subiaco Oval?

A. Quinten Lynch
B. Jeff Farmer
C. Philip Matera
D. Matthew Pavlich

Answer: Many of you said the great Philip Matera kicked the most, but in fact Matthew Pavlich holds a clear lead at the moment with 278 goals, 73 ahead of Matera. So the answer is D.

Question 9. True or False. The Brisbane Cricket Ground has never hosted a sell-out AFL match.

Answer: Believe it or not, it is TRUE. The highest crowd for any AFL match held at the Gabba is 37,224 yet the maximum capacity for the ground is 42,000. I was surprised when I found this out to be honest. Even when the Lions were the dominant force of the AFL and their membership over 30,000, they still didn't manage to sell-out the ground. :o

Question 10. According to the laws of Australian football, What are the minimum dimensions of an AFL ground?

A. 75m wide by 110m long
B. 68m wide by 122m long
C. 110m wide by 135m long
D. 135m wide by 135m long

Answer: The answer here is C. 110m wide by 135m long.

Hard Questions (each worth 3 points)

Question 11. Which player has played at the most venues?

A. Robert Harvey
B. Doug Hawkins
C. Michael Tuck
D. Paul Salmon

Answer: While this is a tricky question, you actually had a 50/50 chance of getting it right. Since both A. Robert Harvey and D. Paul Salmon played at a record 19 different venues in their career.

Question 12. In what year is the AFL expected to take ownership of Etihad Stadium?

A. 2020
B. 2025
C. 2030
D. 2035

Answer: Unfortunately for the poorer clubs in the AFL, it's still 13 years away before the AFL takes charge. Yep, the answer is B. 2025.

Super Hard Question (worth 5 points!)

Question 13. Name one of the original proposed sites for the MCG.

Answer: Apart from Yarra Park (where the MCG is now located), there were three other proposed sites for the MCG. They are (with Google Map references):

Great work to everyone this week! I know it may have looked tough, but there were some great scores this week! :D

c4v3m4n

Now for the all important ladder!

LADDER (AS OF ROUND 2)

Place     Entrant                              Points (Increase)
1stJukes42 (+25)
2ndCrowsFan41 (+21)
3rdHolzman40 (+20)
4thBoomz37.5 (+19.5)
5thwhatlez37 (+19)
6thSpite34 (+14)
7thluvfooty33 (+13)
8thCookie Monster32 (+18)
9thBinga31 (+16)
10thRingo30 (+18)
11thbomberboy061830 (+16)
12thTorpedo1030 (+16)
13thossie8529 (+15)
14thMTTY29 (+14)
15thMat036927 (+12)
16thPowerBug27 (+10)
17thFletch7426 (+12)
18thklankers26 (+12)
19thMajorLazer25 (+13)
20thBB67th25 (+13)
21stFlipFlops25 (+10)
22ndTheMailman24 (+14)
23rdnostradamus23 (+11)
24thZombie2.521 (+9)
25thpyronerd21 (+12)
26thFisherSaints21 (+11)
27thSydneyRox21 (+11)
28thhawk_8820 (+0)
29thZiplock16 (+8)
30thMy Chumps16 (+0)
31stNoz15 (+15)
32ndroo boys!14 (+0)
33rdShaggy13 (+0)
34thRusty0012 (+12)
35thgossiboy11 (+11)
36thHellopplz9 (+0)

This week's winner is....

Jukes who managed a perfect score of 25 points!! Awesome job! :o :D :D

CrowsFan and Holzman also get special mentions for getting the super-hard one correct! Nice one fellas. :D

As for round 1, the highest score was 20 points which was shared by CrowsFan, Holzman, Spite and luvfooty. Great job guys! ;D

Ziplock

calling google right now.

I'm obv. shower at this

but still, some of those questions....

cheats :P

c4v3m4n

Hey everyone, I know you are all anxious about the next round of questions, well lucky for you here they are!

Throughout the year, there will be four categories focussing on certain types of players (defenders, midfielders, forwards and ruckmen) and the first one of the rank is ruckmen!

The lockout for these questions will revert back to 11:59pm FRIDAY now.

Good luck! :D

Round 3: Just Tap it Out

Easy Questions (worth 1 point each)

Question 1: Which player registered the equal 7th most hitouts in a match during this Easter weekend with a massive 54 hitouts?

Question 2: True or False: Nic Naitanui was born in Australia, not Fiji.

Question 3: Which Carlton ruckman entered the world of politics after retirement, going on to hold some important ministerial portfolios such as The Minister for Planning, The Minister for Sports and Recreation and also the Minister for Commonwealth Games?

A. Mike Fitzpatrick
B. Justin Madden
C. John Nicholls
D. Horrie Clover

Question 4: Name one ruckman that swapped clubs during the 2011 trade week.

Question 5: Which AFL ruckman used to eat 12-16 sausages after every country football match he played in?

A. Dean Cox
B. Orren Stephensen
C. Shane Mumford
D. Josh Fraser

Question 6: Name one ruckman that has won the league's top honor, the Brownlow Medal.

Medium Questions (worth 2 points each)

Question 7: Name one of the rucking styles or strategies that modern ruckman use.

Question 8: Which ruckman holds the record for the most hitouts in a game and the most hitouts in a season?

A. Gary Dempsey
B. Simon Madden
C. Todd Goldstein
D. Will Minson

Question 9: Dean Brogan is the only player in history to win both an NBL Championship and an AFL premiership. Which NBL team did he play for?

A. Adelaide 36ers
B. Melbourne Tigers
C. Perth Wildcats
D. Glenelg Giants

Question 10: True or False: Western Bulldogs' Peter Street is the tallest player ever to play Australian rules football.

Hard Questions (each worth 3 points)

Question 11: The AFL introduced a new rule during the NAB Cup earlier this year for rucking contests. What was the new rule?

A. Ruckman were required to stand two metres apart and would be penalised if any contact was made before the ball was on its descent.
B. Ruckmen were required to stand three metres apart and would be penalised if any contact was made before the ball had left the umpires hand.
C. Ruckman were required to stand four metres apart and would be penalised if any contact was made before the ball had left the umpires hand.
D. Ruckman were required to stand five metres apart and would be penalised if no contact was made after the ball hand left the umpires hand.

Question 12: Who was the tallest ruckman to ever feature at an AFL Draft Combine?

A. Max Bailey
B. Cameron Wood
C. Matthew Leuenberger
D. Max Gawn

Super Hard Question (worth 5 points!)

Question 13: How did Graham "Polly" Farmer get his nickname?